Awards other than XP

Reynard

Legend
In another thread, I sort of landed on the idea that the one thing I don't like about D&D in general and 5E in particular is how leveling changes the game and forces the game world to change along with the PCs.

I don't want to rehash that argument. Rather, let's assume for the sake of this discussion that I make the following rule for my next long term campaign: Characters will start at third level and gain XP very slowly in both real time and game time, such that PCs will gain levels at a rate of about one per real world year (which might map to, say, five or ten years in play). I do not intend to "soft level" by giving out Feats or spell slots or any features otherwise reserved for level gain.

BUT the idea of rewards (aside form the pure fun of play, of course) are baked into D&D. Keeping in mind that my main goal is to make it so that the elements present in the setting on day 1 are viable on day 750, and that PCs do not "outgrow" their position in the world or break the previously established boundaries of the setting, what kinds of rewards in play do you think would keep players happy? What kind of character development and "advancement" can exist aside from level gain to reinforce the goal while still giving players a sense of accomplishment and growth?

Also note that it doesn't matter if the PCs start at 3rd or 13th. While I personally prefer a more grounded campaign, that element isn't inherent in the question. What's important is the consistency of experience across the breadth of the campaign.

Thanks!

An idea about rewards could be action points, or something as background points to buy later some special advantages as allies, contacts, fame, special services or a stronghold.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It’s a different game, but my WOIN system allows for REP (reputation) to be awarded as a reward.

Retreater

Legend
I mean, you need to clear this with your players. I admit I'm something of a power gamer, and I would dislike this style of play as I would feel like I wasn't making progress. Even systems that allow for small growths over a prolonged period of time seem unrewarding to me.

S'mon

Legend
- Money, and the stuff that comes with money. Lands, followers, influence, palaces et al.

- Magic items.

- Tool proficiencies and Languages can be acquired without leveling up in 5e.

- Personally I have given out additional skill proficiencies as awards, and I find this works well. It creates broader characters rather than much more powerful ones.

Reynard

Legend
I mean, you need to clear this with your players. I admit I'm something of a power gamer, and I would dislike this style of play as I would feel like I wasn't making progress. Even systems that allow for small growths over a prolonged period of time seem unrewarding to me.

Oh, for sure. And in my reasonably large pool of potential players (thank goodness for Virtual Tabletops!) there are definitely those that will not be interested. But I am getting old enough where I realize I have to run games I like first and foremost.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I agree with S'Mon that I prefer broader characters who are more versatile than simply more powerful.

I guess for me it depends on how much extra stuff you want to add to the game. One idea I liked was your character earned something akin to Karma, Action Points, Hero Points, or whatever you want to call them.

These points could be used for temporary benefits or to purchase permanent increases such as:

Similar to Inspiration points, but maybe even perhaps re-rolling a failure instead of simply adding advantage?
Maybe spending X number of points would guarantee a success for something really important?
Points could be used to "buy" proficiencies in skills, languages, etc. or maybe even (for A LOT) buy a feat or feature from another class?
Depending on the number awarded you could have one point translate to a +2 bonus to something like a skill check, attack roll, etc.?
And so on...

In short, temporary power when needed can make them heroic, but not always powerful heroes.

Tormyr

Adventurer
For smaller cases where the heroes go out of there way to help or do well at solving a problem, I give inspiration points.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
A level 3-4 campaign could be very fun. However, may I suggest starting players at whatever reasonable level they get the character abilities they want to use. Probably for most it would be more like level 6 or 7 instead of level 3-4.

Once they have helped you determine the level then start designing the campaign around that level.

As far as advancement without levels, you could easily base most advancement on obtaining better gear which you as the DM get to gate. You would simply fundamentally alter how items in D&D functions. Armor might add hp. A sword might be swift and grant extra attacks. An axe might grant double damage dice. A spell focus be what contains your spell slots and you need it upgraded to unlock.

I guess it depends on if the problem for you is the PC's getting stronger in itself or if the problem is the pc's getting stronger that much faster based on skill instead of gear.

If propping characters up with better gear doesn't work then you need to grant PC's a way to obtain temporary buffs. Of course if you give out too many temporary buffs the PC's will still feel like they've greatly increased in power.

So instead, I suggest giving the game a strategical overarching goal. Your goal is help your King reach his dream of having the largest most rich and powerful kingdom in the world. You gain reputation for completing adventuring tasks for the kingdom and it's inhabitants. Reputation can be spent to influence the king to take a particular course of action. To obtain favors from the King. etc. The more reputation you have the nicer lifestyle and accommodations you have etc.

TallIan

Explorer
I would suggest things that invest the PCs in the story. Something that has a game impact.

Lands, Title and reputation are better than just more GP.

Fred the Fighter from Fighterland, becomes Sir Fred, Baron of Riverguard, beloved of his people for his bravery in fighting off the orc invasion. He has a close alliance with the Baron Harold to the north, but Baron Ericson to the south would sooner see Si Fred hanging from a gibbet.

I've never tried it but the idea of a point system that can be spent for temporary boosts sounds pretty cool.
Fighting hordes of goblins, best boost my HP
Fighting a Fae Warlock, best boost my wisdom save

Remove ads