EN5ider #262 - Bullet Wounds and Battle Scars

Today on EN5ider we take on the abstraction of hit points with a new optional rule: Vitality! Get the adventurers more invested in combat by diversifying the effects different types of damage have on the game with Bullet Wounds and Battle Scars.
Today on EN5ider we take on the abstraction of hit points with a new optional rule: Vitality! Get the adventurers more invested in combat by diversifying the effects different types of damage have on the game with Bullet Wounds and Battle Scars.

And if you missed it, three of our most popular articles recently became free for non-members! The Crypta Hereticarum ZEITGEIST Side Quest - A dungeon any GM can make use of
Cauldron-Born - Colossoal golem chaos at the end of ZEITGEIST's fifth adventure module
Syndrathrax the Soul-Eater - A necromancer dragon you and your players will never forget

Lately on EN5ider:

• #262. Bullet Wounds and Battle Scars. Hit points are a one-dimensional resource and most damage types appear the same to players. This article introduces Vitality as a separate health-related resource with optional rules for how to make some damage types—like acid or damage from firearms—feel unique, threatening, and ultimately more engaging to make combats as satisfying as they can be! By David Adams; illustrated by Marcel Budde.
  • #261. Enchanted Trinkets: Relics of a Lost Age. A collection of a dozen odd items that harbor hints of fallen kingdoms. These items might be as simple as common items made of exotic materials, to slightly magical items or devices of complex clockwork artifice beyond the known technology. By David Adams; illustrated by Phil Stone.
  • #260. Villain Spotlight: Glamdrellyxxana the Gold. A gold dragon druid under the influence of an ancient curse, Glamdrellyxxana believes the only way to ensure that the world remains ‘good’ is to destroy all humanoid life. From her lair in a mountain lake she's amassed an army of plant creatures to sweep down across the world and cleanse it of the blight from meddling civilizations destined to bring ruin with their advancement, yet the dragon often feels melancholy about the need to destroy so many living things. Glamdrellyxxana is resigned to this course of action however, convinced by fell visions of an industrialized future—and distracted by mind-altering plants when the guilt becomes too much to bear. By Will Gawned; illustrated by Júlio Rocha.
  • #259. ZEITGEIST #6 (Part 1): Revelations from the Mouth of a Mad Man. It's the end of the month which means the latest installment in the ZEITGEIST adventure path! This week we cracking into module #6 where the heroes deal with civil unrest in Beran, face off against king-bred tyrannosaurs and worse at the end of an obstacle course labyrinth, and prepare the proverbial stage for the appearance of the much wanted gnome Tinker.
  • #258. Enchanted Trinkets: Arcane Apparel. Today marks our 25th article about magic items and the 5th entry in Enchanted Trinkets: minor, flavorful rewards GMs won't regret handing out to the party! The fashion guru Adderley has rolled out her latest line of high-end apparel including the eminently useful discreet petticoat, ever-pristine unspoiled slippers, miraculously entertaining shoulder dragon brooch, and 17 other fun new items destined to bring delightful couture to any game. By Andrew Engelbrite; illustrated by Matthew Burger.

Mike Myler

Mike Myler

The rule of vitality is interesting for me because I was thinking about something vampire disciplines and blood points, a level of vitaliy like simple way of damage by undead life consumption.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
The rule of vitality is interesting for me because I was thinking about something vampire disciplines and blood points, a level of vitaliy like simple way of damage by undead life consumption.

Aye it's got good initial impact but the undead trait where they suck away at hit point totals eventually starts feeling old. Glad EN5ider could provide a fix for that which you like! :D

Rellott

Explorer
What happens if a wizard or sorcerer, with a d6 hit die (meaning they can’t split HP from their level up HP into VP) has an 8 in Con? Over time, leveling up seems like it would kill them.

Mike Myler

What happens if a wizard or sorcerer, with a d6 hit die (meaning they can’t split HP from their level up HP into VP) has an 8 in Con? Over time, leveling up seems like it would kill them.

Indeed! I hadn't thought about low-Constitution spellcasters but my gut says treat it as (minimum 0). I'll poke David Adams and see what he's thinking.

level2npc

First Post

This is why you have the option to take the average instead of rolling. It's an issue that also exists in the standard HP rules. Jeremy Crawford covers those here, if you want to check them out:
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/938885709783384064?s=19

That said, I see no problem going with a minimum modifier of 0 if you want to roll more often.

Rellott

Explorer
This is why you have the option to take the average instead of rolling. It's an issue that also exists in the standard HP rules.

Except in this article, VP increase equal to your con mod at each level up. They don’t get a die roll to take the average of.

level2npc

First Post
I can't brain real good right now. The VP increase definitely needs a clause stipulating a minimum. I think a floor of 0 is a must and I'm inclined to consider a minimum of 1, or maybe 1 every other level.

Mike Myler

David agreed! The first sentence on page 2, column 2, first full paragraph should read:
Corrected Text said:
When your character gains a level, your vitality point maximum increases by an amount equal to your Constitution modifier (minimum 1) and you gain 1 additional Hit Die from your class.

Remove ads

Remove ads