Will 5e be the last edition to emphasize print products?

Zardnaar

Legend
Give it a few years and books will be back. 1E will be the one played because the books will survive the nuclear apocalypse/global warming/ zombie uprising.

Yes? In that 5e will always be in print as the evergreen edition... prolly...?

In any case, whatever new editions there may or may not be in the future, the allure to D&D for me and many of the players at our tables is the escape from our omnipresent screens. Don't get me wrong, digital tools and resources help me greatly with prep and to get my daily D&D fix. When it comes time to gather 'round the table, however, the books and the paper and the pencils and the dice are the go-to implements for our session.

GlassJaw

Hero
While Hasbro owns WotC, they will never abandon physical products, or even transition so that the "lead" products are digital. Physical products are still the backbone of Hasbro and they have been extremely wary of digital products since the late-90s when they almost went bankrupt after investing heavily into digital gaming.

Even now, they don't understand the digital space well enough. D&D Beyond is the biggest digital success they've had in years, D&D or otherwise.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
While Hasbro owns WotC, they will never abandon physical products, or even transition so that the "lead" products are digital. Physical products are still the backbone of Hasbro and they have been extremely wary of digital products since the late-90s when they almost went bankrupt after investing heavily into digital gaming.

Even now, they don't understand the digital space well enough. D&D Beyond is the biggest digital success they've had in years, D&D or otherwise.

mmm, no, that would be MTG Arena. D&D Beyond isn't an in-house project, and MTG being MTG is way a bigger phenomenon worldwide.

Hussar

Legend
mmm, no, that would be MTG Arena. D&D Beyond isn't an in-house project, and MTG being MTG is way a bigger phenomenon worldwide.

Was going to say. Didn't Hasbro pony up something like 10 million dollars in prize money for the 2019 season? One of those is a 1 million dollar prize for MTG Arena IIRC. I'd say they're doubling down on their digital products pretty hard.

Thing is, after the 4e online debacle, I can't see Hasbro or WotC being in any hurry to bring D&D into the digital realm. But, if this new E-Sports initiative pans out, things might change in a serious hurry.

I mean, if streaming fans will pony up millions of dollars for a live stream to make a cartoon, I can imagine that someone, somewhere is trying to figure out how to tie into that with D&D.

Remove ads