Netflix's Love Death and Robots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Netflix's Love Death and Robots

The trailer doesn't do it justice. Also it's labeled for mature audiences so I didn't post it here.

I'm only 4 episodes in, and am blown away. Sonnie's Edge and Suits are just amazing. 18 episodes, all 8-20 minutes long.
    XP Hussar gave XP for this post

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Too many of them are pretty much made to please the male gaze or stroke patriarchal models the right way. In that regard the series is a let down.

So far, only Yogourt stands out, althought the punk aesthetics of Sonnie's Edge sets it appart too. The reference to the deficite in Yogurt as an actual problem that can effect humanity just shows how that concept deeply penetrate pop culture and even writers like Scalzi. That is problematic too.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I liked it. Sonnie's Edge seems like a standout and probably a good choice for the first. I also like suits a lot but I am a fan of mechs.

I see a lot of cats in the different episodes. I really like that alternate China and the steam-punk automatons. An interesting take on the old world being consumed by modernization.

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

I enjoyed it. Yes, some seemed like they were "Woo, what can we do with NSFW!" (*cough*Rift*cough*) in terms of nudity, sex, or violence, but my favorites were the ones that just told a good story without being fettered.

My favorites were Three Robots, Suits, and Sonny's Edge, in that order. The black comedy of Three Robots I don't see anyone else commenting on yet, for me that was a stand-out use of the NSFW tag that wasn't prurient or gory.

Good Hunting, Helping Hand and Zima Blue made me think and feel even if they weren't my favorites. Zima Blue could have been told without being in a NSFW collection, Helping Hand just couldn't because of the visceral nature of the subject matter. Good Hunting could have been reworked to be told SFW, but the innocent nudity and body horror was used well.

The quality varied across the collection, there were some that didn't do it for me. Still, at how short they were it was worth going through them all.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Sonnie's Edge and Three Robots were definitely my favourite. It took me a little while to settle into Three Robots simply because I'd clicked into the series blind, and had no idea it was an anthology series. I kept waiting for something to tie it into the previous episode.

I also enjoyed Ice Age just for the wackiness and how well it was done visually, though ultimately it felt like less than the sum of its parts.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Ive seen Sonnies Edge and 3 Robots. Robots was hilarious, especially since it was treading over fairly worn ground. Edge was good, though I was surprised to find out its a Peter F. Hamilton story and not Richard K. Morgan.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

This was a great serues. 3 Robots was a crack up. The Witness had a twist I thought I saw coming but didn't, Suits was awesome and also not quite what I thought was happening was actually happening. Sucker of Souls had some great characters. I liked every episode actually and have been recommending the series to everyone.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

So what is the show about? Is it similar to the anime Memories where none of the stories were connected, or is it more like the Matrix animations where the stories were connected and just the art style changed every time?

Lama (Lvl 13)

No connection. It's just a series of short stories.
    XP jonesy gave XP for this post

Titan (Lvl 27)

Excellent SF stories.

Although, I gotta admit, I'm not sure I "get" The Witness. I'll whack my question into spoiler tags:

Spoiler:
    Is it a time travel story? Or are we just seeing two robots stuck in a loop? Or all the robots are stuck in a loop? I'm confused.

Yeah, Suits was fantastic. Sonny was great. And Three Robots made me giggle.

But, yeah, this is what SF should do - make you ask questions.
    Last edited by Hussar; Friday, 29th March, 2019 at 10:00 AM.