Who Killed the Megaverse?

The popularity of Dungeons & Dragons has helped establish a baseline genre of fantasy that makes the game easily accessible to those familiar with its tropes. But in D&D's early days, the idea of mixing sci-fi and fantasy was built into the game.

fantasy-2639053_960_720.jpg

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​
D&D's Inspiration
Co-creator of D&D, Gary Gygax, was fond of pointing out that the inspiration for D&D was more inspired by R.E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian series than J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, but that does a disservice to the list of authors he identified in Appendix N of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Dungeon Master's Guide:
The most immediate influences upon AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, R. E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, H. P. Lovecraft, and A. Merritt; but all of the above authors, as well as many not listed, certainly helped to shape the form of the game.
de Camp's Lest Darkness Fallis an alternate history science fiction novel. Leiber's Fafhrd & Gray Mouser meet "a German man named Karl Treuherz of Hagenbeck who is looking for his spaceship, which he uses to cross the boundaries between different worlds in his hunt for animals for a zoo" in The Swords of Lankhmar. Vance's works are set in The Dying Earth, where "magic has loose links to the science of old, and advanced mathematics is treated like arcane lore." A. Merritt's Creep, Shadow! is a pulpy adventure featuring:
...a witch that murders people with her animated dolls. It’s got sketchy scientists, femme fatales, world travelling adventurer types, and even a hard boiled Depression-era Texan.
H.P. Lovecraft wrote more modern weird horror while R.E. Howard's Conan took place in a fantasy setting -- and yet the two borrowed themes from each other's works to blend into the Cthulhu Mythos we know today. Add all this up, and D&D was anything but "regular" fantasy. So how did we get here?
You've Got Martians in My D&D!
James Maliszewski explains at Black Gate:
However, I think it worth noting that, in his foreword of November 1, 1973, when Gary Gygax is explaining just what D&D is, he makes no mention of Tolkien. Instead, he references “Burroughs’ Martian adventures,” “Howard’s Conan saga,” “the de Camp & Pratt fantasies,” and “Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.” Most of the borrowings from Middle-earth occur in Volume 2 of the game, Monsters & Treasure, which only makes sense as many of Tolkien’s creatures are easily dropped into almost any fantasy setting. Of course, Gygax does something similar with Burroughs; D&D‘s wilderness encounter tables include tharks, Martians of every hue, apts, banths, thoats, white apes, and more. I think this makes it readily apparent that, far from being the pre-eminent inspiration of the game, Middle-earth is one of many and not necessarily the greatest one.
The other co-creator of D&D, Dave Arneson, demonstrated his proclivity for mixing sci-fi with fantasy in the Original D&D set, Supplement II, Blackmoor:
While this background provides no real details about the Blackmoor setting itself, it does explain that the high priest of the Temple of the Frog, an individual known as Stephen the Rock, is “an intelligent humanoid from another world/dimension.” Furthermore, Stephen possesses several mysterious devices, such as an anti-gravity unit and an interstellar communicator. I found this information intriguing. I was of course already familiar with Gary Gygax’s Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, as well as the “Mutants & Magic” section of the AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide, which provide guidelines for mixing science fiction and fantasy. But Supplement II was published in 1975, before any of this, which suggested to me that perhaps Arneson was perhaps the originator of this kind of “mixed genre” gaming.
There was the tantalizing possibility of D&D crossing genres, as evidenced by the Gamma World and Boot Hill crossover rules in the AD&D Dungeon Master's Guide. And of course, there was the Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, itself inspired by Jim Ward's Gamma World.

But it was not to be. Gygax frequently defended D&D's inclusion of Tolkien-esque creatures as a necessary sop to the popularity of the genre, but as Maliszewski points out, D&D eventually became its own genre, helping strongly demarcate fantasy vs. science fiction:
Prior to the success of Dungeons & Dragons, fantasy was a very broad genre, encompassing everything from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland to A Princess of Mars to Howard’s Conan stories and more. The earliest players and designers of fantasy roleplaying games understood and accepted this, but, as these games gained popularity and moved beyond their original audience, they became much more self-referential and self-contained – a genre unto themselves – rather than drawing on the anarchic literature that inspired them.
The onus would be on other RPGs to deliver on the promise of a truly cross-genre universe with Palladium's Rifts being the foremost example. D&D would follow suit with its Planescape and Spelljammer settings that attempted to encompass all the other D&D universes, but even those settings generally stuck to fantasy as a baseline.

New mixed-genre stories have since spun out of that baseline assumption, regularly mixing technology with fantasy in a way that was fresh to fans of the Thundarr the Barbarian cartoon. Thanks to the Internet, cross-pollination between genres is a natural outgrowth of so many ideas mixing together, and that's reflected in our own D&D campaigns where aliens or robots might make a surprise appearance. With the announcement by Goodman Games of the return of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, it looks like the megaverse still has some life in it yet.

Last edited:

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
What I like most about these articles is that I often get ideas of books to read. I loved continuing the adventures of Conan via de Camp's novels and now I'm going to have a read of his science fiction.

The Appendix N list has some very good stuff in it.

If the game isn't designed with Sci-Fi elements in mind from the start, you've got serious potential balance issues. As soon as you introduce laser guns, jet packs, and stun grenades, there really isn't any need for a wizard.

Reynard

Legend
If the game isn't designed with Sci-Fi elements in mind from the start, you've got serious potential balance issues. As soon as you introduce laser guns, jet packs, and stun grenades, there really isn't any need for a wizard.
Isn't that true of a fiery crossbow, boots of flying and dust of choking and sneezing? If we are talking about finding rare and/or ancient tech (which the post clearly is) what difference does it make?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If a sci-fi element falls in the woods and a player doesn't hear it, does it exist. Or does that make it a Schrodinger's element? That might have been a thing to some of the past games I played in. If a GM had sci-fi elements in a game and we never bumped into them, they pretty much didn't exist but for the GM.

That's why if I have something like that in the games I run, I put them front and center because I want the players to engage in them. Not that either way is right or wrong (other GMs may be saving the sci-fi as a plot twist in the game.)
In my case they've met (and sometimes destroyed!) some of the sci-fi elements already; and unless the story takes a fairly significant left turn at some point - which is always possible - those elements and others will I hope become much more significant later.

And, by later I might mean years from now. As DM of a long-running campaign I have to look at the long-term angles, and only release "now" what has to be released now while saving the rest for later.

I suspect that many GMs who didn't want psionics in their game (for good mechanical reasons) used the "no sci-fi" excuse instead of just saying "no."
I don't at all equate psionics with sci-fi, though, and don't see the connection you're making. They're completely unrelated things, fully independent of each other.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Oh, I'm not so sure about that.

For one thing, maybe it takes wizard-grade intelligence to be able to operate any of this stuff; where anyone else trying it is liable to blow themselves up along with anyone/anythng nearby. :)

Never mind that sure, you can have laser guns and jet packs, but unless you can find a fuel or power source for them they're sooner or later going to run out - if they even had any power left in them when found in the first place. No big deal. :)

And no one has mentioned Empire of the Petal Throne yet? Published in 1975 by TSR using pretty much D&Dish rules. An alien world colonized in the far future (c. 60,000 plus yars iirc), later isolated in a pocket dimension with it's civilization collapsing (and new / barbaric civilizations lasting thousands of years rising and falling). resulting in a "fantasy" world complete with aliens ("nonhumans" who were truly alien), "magic" (using interdimensional energy), technological items from small eye shaped devices (basically ray weapons of different types), to robots, genetically created "undead", to aircars and the "Lightning Bringer" (a mechanized artilley vehicle with a laser cannon)? This was the first setting done by TSR, predating Greyhawk etc. (as a published setting). Science fantasy.

*edit* Things added and edited :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
I actually take Gygax at his word on this, insofar as he was talking about his own personal influences and inspiration. Instead, my feeling is that many of the clearly Tolkien-Influenced parts were "fan service" and not things that inspired Gygax himself. He cites Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions, Pratt and de Camp's The Incomplete Enchanter, Conan, Leiber's Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, Michael Moorcock's Elric, and Jack Vance's Dying Earth, among other sources. Having read all of these, their influence is very clear.

I do not deny there are parallels. Hobbits/halflings I'll 100% grant and there are a number of other parallels, of course: Ents/treants, dwarves to a large but not total degree, and some other monsters. The 1E ranger is also a pretty clear port.

However, there's a A LOT of points of departure and signs of other influences, many of which are exactly the things he cited in what became Appendix N (originally a Dragon article?). Elves in D&D aren't really like Tolkien elves, though, and clearly draw on other sources. There's no "Thieves' Guild" in Tolkien, but there sure is one in Lankhmar. Dwarves have a strong resemblance to Hugi in Three Hearts and Three Lions and the D&D troll is a direct lift, bearing no resemblance to Tolkien trolls at all. The kind of crazy dungeoneering that existed in early D&D isn't really the sort of thing that fits in Lord of the Rings, but it appears in some of the sources, most notably in some of Leiber's stories and in a few Conan stories, though The Hobbit is a better fit. The kinds of episodic tales that made up various adventures were also not what is featured in the kind of epic fantasy that Tolkien epitomizes. However, they are a key aspect of the other sources. There's a lot of other things: Magic functions differently, there are clerics, the tone is way different for the most part especially for classic D&D, and so on.

All that said, it is undoubtedly the case that D&D took off in no small part because of Tolkien's popularity, but as I said, that's why I consider the Tolkeinisms to be more of the order of "fan service" than a direct inspiration.

Oh, dahellwiddit. I'll flog this equine

Sure, no one is saying that Tolkien is the be all and end all of D&D. But, good grief, Balor (originally named a Balrog!), color coded dragons, on and on and on. Heck the notion of the adventuring PARTY rather than a lone hero and maybe a sidekick, certainly isn't part and parcel of pulp action stories. The whole "ensemble cast" thing is a direct port from Tolkien. It's probably easier to list the things D&D didn't lift from Tolkien, rather than the things they did.

I mean, good grief, if we weren't porting from Tolkien, why are the original races - Human, Elf, half-elf, Dwarf, Halfling? You'd think with all these other inspirational sources, we'd have at least one non-Tolkien PC race in the first twenty or thirty years of core rules other than half-orc, when orcs are lifted straight from Tolkien anyway.

I mean, good grief, it took 4e to give us the first non-Tolkien core race and people actually bitched about it. THAT'S how ingrained Tolkien is in the game.

Ravenheart87

Explorer
I always found Gygax's downplaying of the Tolkien influence to be rather disingenuous. Tolkien was obviously a huge influence, from elves-dwarves-halfings-orcs to "You meet in a tavern" to rangers to Smaug to...well, it goes on and on. IIRC, Gygax spoke of Tolkien somewhat like a petulant teen rebelling against a parent that they want to distance themselves from but unconsciously emulate.

Gygax spoke out against Tolkien because he didn't like his works - he was more of a sword & sorcery fan, and found Tolkien's works tedious. The reason why tolkienian elements were included was his players, who wanted to play such characters. His elves and half-elves were everything but tolkienian by the way - rather, they are more akin to the elves in Poul Anderson's stories, and the Basic line's elf class is pretty much Elric without a patron.

dwayne

Adventurer
I really think 5th edition has the potential to be a great base for anything really as the rules and power creep can be controlled by the gm very well. I have been looking at a conversion of the old d20 modern rules on the web, as the classes based off abilities and the limiting of casting is a great fit for a modern setting. I think as a modern setting, the tech would be much more easy and old magic would fall more out of common use due to lost belief in the gods and logic and rationality would prevent it to some existent. The show American Gods is a TV show to see what might be as new modern gods seek to subvert the old. The dresden files is another set of books i also liked and the TV show never got close to the books but as ok but not great.

S'mon

Legend
Bullets do do more damage than arrows - bullets tear, arrows slice. Rifles do a *lot* more damage. Within a D&D context that just means more hit points in damage - you certainly don't need to turn the game into Saving Private Ryan when the guns appear.

I used to do a lot of crossover stuff in my old 1e AD&D campaign - Arasaka power armour troopers vs Norse gods! :D 4e D&D's mythic tone did not suit it, but in 5e it should work fine. I think the
weapon stats in the 5e DMG are the right approach, just tweak them a bit if you want, but don't try to shift genre - high level D&D with guns should be The Avengers, not Full Metal Jacket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases