Who Killed the Megaverse? - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

When we started playing OD&D in the 70s, the mish mash was common and accepted by most. As I've said before we played things like Paladins of Odin raiding the Temple of Set underneath a ruined city on Barsoom (long before Stargate was a thing). Not always, but we had elements like this. Reading Blackmoor/Temple of the Frog, Arduin, and various articles in Alarums in Excursions promoted it I guess.

At some point in the early to mid 1980s, as I hit my "realistic" phase in life- I became a opponent of this beyond running something like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

As mentioned above, D&D has become it's own genre/brand of fantasy. It doesn't seem to mesh well, welcome or encourage this sort of thing that the original game was steeped in. Mainly because the game has veered so far from the literary roots that initially was it's primary influence. Modern D&D is more Hollywood than Howard.

These days I have revisited, enjoy, and run a lot of Palladium Fantasy, and dabble with RIFTS. The MEGAVERSE tm. Is doing just fine DCCRPG and much of the OSR still embraces the "weird fantasy" of the original game. Astonishing Swordsman & Sorcerers of Hyperborea is a fantastic and fun example of how to do this in D&D without seeming out of place or jarring.

I feel it's appropriate the bring back the Progress Level concept when dealing with different worlds. It was featured in D20 Modern but I think it was in a few places before such as Alternity.

They had things like:
    PL0: Stone Age
    PL1: Bronze/Iron Age, likely the Progress Level of Athas
    PL2: Middle Ages, most D&D worlds
    PL3: Age of Reason, some D&D worlds touch on that with FR's Lantan, Mystara's Savage Coast and parts of Spelljammer, Ravenloft, and parts of the Planes too
    PL4: Industrial Age, the Masque of the Red Death
    PL5: Information Age, our world and D20 Modern in general
    PL6: Fusion Age, cyberpunk and near future space settings, like possibly the Expanse
    PL7: Gravity Age, possibly Star Wars
    PL8: Energy Age, Possibly Star Trek
    PL9: Beyond Comprehension...
    XP Bitbrain gave XP for this post

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

I still use many material planes. All using the same astral ethereal inner and outer planes.
    XP SkidAce gave XP for this post

Heck yes, science-fantasy!

Monte Cook is returning to the 5E science-fantasy game with Arcana of the Ancients (on Kickstarter until April 12), a supplement that takes the monsters, artifacts, cyphers, abilities, and adventure of Numenera and brings it into your existing traditional fantasy 5E games. In a world of dragons, your PCs discover unfathomably advanced ancient civilizations, and unleash their magic and beasts and wonder upon your setting.

Check out this ready-to-use bestiary entry mockup of the Disassembler, a truly weird monster to delight and frighten your PCs:

We're pretty jazzed to take our staff of writers from the D&D days (Monte, Bruce Cordell, Sean Reynolds) back into their old stomping grounds. We love this aesthetic :-)
    XP Von Ether gave XP for this post

- double post -
    Last edited by MonteCookGames; Monday, 25th March, 2019 at 05:49 AM. Reason: repost

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    These days I have revisited, enjoy, and run a lot of Palladium Fantasy, and dabble with RIFTS.
    I'm so sorry. (j/k)

Guide (Lvl 11)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerers Apprentice View Post
    I admit it, I killed the megaverse!
    And I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
    Ahem... surely you meant 'meddling adolescent bioroids!'

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerers Apprentice View Post
    I admit it, I killed the megaverse!
    Yeah, well come 26 April 2019, everything* you did will be undone.

* T&C's apply.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    I always found Gygax's downplaying of the Tolkien influence to be rather disingenuous. Tolkien was obviously a huge influence, from elves-dwarves-halfings-orcs to "You meet in a tavern" to rangers to Smaug to...well, it goes on and on. IIRC, Gygax spoke of Tolkien somewhat like a petulant teen rebelling against a parent that they want to distance themselves from but unconsciously emulate.
    The "you meet in a tavern" predates Tolkien by DECADES in published works. Elves are not a Tolkien invention though Hobbits are. Rangers as played in Tolkien in name and function originated in North America when the British were pushing into Indian territory. OF course the typical Red coat could not fight the Indians in wild spaces between the forts so a new type of warrior came to be that protected travelers from Indian predation. The type of dragon that Smaug was predates Tolkien by hundreds of years in literature.

One must be well read to see what Tolkien borrowed vs. what he created from whole cloth...
    XP Jay Verkuilen gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
    At some point in the early to mid 1980s, as I hit my "realistic" phase in life- I became a opponent of this beyond running something like Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. <...> As mentioned above, D&D has become it's own genre/brand of fantasy. It doesn't seem to mesh well, welcome or encourage this sort of thing that the original game was steeped in. Mainly because the game has veered so far from the literary roots that initially was it's primary influence. Modern D&D is more Hollywood than Howard.
    One thing that I think happened was, in addition to a more consistent separation of the genre of "weird tales" into fantasy and sci fi, there was a desire to present a more consistent world, which meant that having intrusions such as sci fi felt "wrong," like the obvious glossy attempt at a single that often appeared on an otherwise dark and gritty indie album. The sci fi elements often seemed to come out of thin air and could feel very out of place.

I played in Barrier Peaks in the late '90s and we had a blast. We managed to work it in and make it feel part of the world we were running in (Greyhawk), so it didn't feel out of place. Part of that was helped by the fact that the group I played with then (and still do, albeit mostly online now) were XCom fans, so Barrier Peaks got a gloss of XCom Apocalypse thrown on, which made it feel like there was a shared background.
    Last edited by Jay Verkuilen; Monday, 17th June, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
    XP SkidAce gave XP for this post