What We Do In The Shadows

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A show based on a movie I’ve never seen is premiering soon on FX. I’m thinking both are up my alley.

Movie:
[video=youtube;gn__CFBgLEk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn__CFBgLEk[/video]

TV Show:
[video=youtube;SyZi3rJPENs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyZi3rJPENs[/video]

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
It's on Amazon Prime. I tried to watch it when I heard about the show. I didn't get far. The vampires were annoying.

Mallus

Legend
The movie is fantastic - though you may need to have watched a few contemporary documentaries to appreciate how good the parody is. Also, the manager from Flight of the Conchords plays a suburban dad werewolf, which alone should be enough to sell it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
The movie had me in a frenzy howling with laughter and lusting for more

However the stakes are high and I’m not sure that an entire series of one bite jokes will be able to sustain itself, it may go down in flames unless the actors are truely dark lords of the genre

Ryujin

Legend
The movie was directed by Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok), who also played a character in it. Excellent stuff. He's involved in this, too, but I don't know if a series can capture the comedy of the mockumentary. I'll give it a shot though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m liking what I’ve seen so far. Not uproarious, but amusing enough to keep me smiling.

I DID laugh out loud at Colin the Energy Vampire’s reactions as chaos broke out at the city council meeting. And Matt Berry is still one of my favorite “bombastic” Brits.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
S1:E7 was another particularly fun one, with guest appearances from Tilda Swindon, Danny Trejo, Wesley Snipes, Paul Reubens and name drops for Robert Pattinson, Kiefer Sutherland, Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt- all as members of the Vampiric Council in their iconic roles. (Evan Rachel Wood is also in the Council, but I’m not aware of her playing a vampire.)

The original cast from the movie What We Do in the Shadows- Viago (Taika Waititi), Vladislav (Jemaine Clement) and Deacon (Jonny Brugh)- also made appearances.

Apparently, the series has been renewed for a second season.

Last edited:

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I absolutely loved the movie; of course, I saw it before everyone else started watching it and liking it; now that other people are watching it, it probably sucks.

The TV show is so, so, so very funny. And that scene at the city council meeting ... well, the whole thing was absolutely perfect, and Colin's reactions at the end were the cherry on the sundae.

PS- If you get the chance, watch Snuff Box. It's kind of out there, even for surreal sketch comedy, but it's one of those shows (with Matt Berry) that will stick with you if you are on its wavelength. Just typing the words gets the theme song in my head.

I've been thinking of watching the show myself.

Loved Snuff Box. I think my all time favorite is Matt helping a lady with her dog until he discovers she has a boyfriend. XD

While a little immature now maybe, that struck me at just the right age when I was single looking for someone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases