If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

G

Guest 6801328

Boxed in?

Here was the exsmple...

"Furthermore, if the King asks the Fighter a question, and the player's response is to just answer the question,"

The example originally presented was framed as (before I responded) the character answers the question, though it may have been phrased as the player answers the question.

So, the question of what the character does, or did, was already defined before I got involved. So, "regardless of what he decides to do" was already past - the player decided.

I acknowledged it could be a variety of proficiencies depending on what was said, and that they could have said nothing.

So, hey, yeah, if that's boxed in... to you... then hey i guess it was me who boxed them in by picking up the example as given.

Whatever.

Maybe it would not have been boxed in if we started back before the stepping in front of king or whstever.

Huh?

And of course I did say this...

"The player has a number of choices but he provides an answer, possibly with added narration to the gm if trying some extra bits that are not carried thru in the langusge."

Boxed in tight I guess.

Wow, chill. Ok, I shouldn't have typed "your scenario" because you (and I) were picking up the given scenario. Sorry. It should have been "your take on the scenario."

But do you understand the distinction I'm trying to make? It's "you're now in this situation and must make a skill roll" vs. "you are facing this problem what do you want to do?"

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and the fighter/player have options other than relying on a Cha skill, but it doesn't feel like it.

G

Guest 6801328

I think, especially in the like of the current troll king scenario being discussed, that explicitly telling the player the DC and the consequence is poor form. At the very least, explaining the consequences would fall actually be the proper use of Insight. A character with low Insight would not be able to predict the troll king's response to his attempt whereas a character with a high Insight would.

Also stating the exact DC also seems off. A general sense if the difficulty maybe, but the exact DC?

Yeah, I said in the follow-up it wouldn't have to be the exact DC and the exact consequence. It could be, "The king is angry and doesn't seem to be in the mood for rationale discourse; no telling what he will do if an attempt to influence him fails." And then an Insight check, as you suggest, might very well reveal a trait/bond/ideal/flaw (which could then be used to influence him without even having to roll!)

As I said to 5ekyu, I was really trying to make the point that I think the player should have to decide on a course of action first, and if that action would force a skill check the player should be given the rough outlines of what that will look like, and be given a chance to rescind.

I acknowledge that only makes sense if you are taking a "middle road" approach, but players who are used to only rolling dice when the outcome is in doubt should be warned when that's the case.

"I'll bash down the door."
"It's a stout door: to do it in one shot and potentially surprise anybody on the other side is going to take a Str roll."
"Hmm...how stout?"
"You've smashed stouter ones."
"Ok, I'll go for it."

"I'll go up the stairs to get close to the door."
"The stairs look really icy...that's going to require a Dex check."
"Oh, really? Ok, nevermind, i won't do that yet."

"I'll keep asking for more detail about his story, and circle back a lot to see if he changes the details."
"Ok, but that will take an Investigation check to pull off, and he may realize what you're doing."
"I'll risk it."

G

Guest 6801328

Rolls for random encounters. 10 minutes is my go-to duration for actions where the time it takes is a meaningful cost. Primarily because that’s the amount of time it takes to cast a spell as a ritual, so it’s a convenient standard interval between a turn and an hour. That way when the rogue wants to pick a lock or the wizard wants to cast detect magic or whatever, I can go around the table and see if anyone else has anything they want to do during those 10 minutes. Then I drop a d6* in a cup. When there are 6d6 in the cup, an hour has passed. Whenever someone makes a lot of noise or otherwise does something that might attract the attention of wandering monsters, or when I would add a 7th die to the cup, I roll all the dice currently in the cup. If any come up a 1, there’s a random encounter. If there were fewer than 6 dice in the cup when I rolled them, I put them all back in.

Credit where it’s due, I got this mechanic from the Angry GM, and run it pretty much exactly as written in the article. But yeah, in my games, breaking down a door vs. picking the lock is a trade off between a roll for random encounters right now with a smaller chance of one happening, or brining the party 1/6 of the way closer to a roll for random encounters that will have a larger chance of one happening. And, of course, trying to pick the lock and failing multiple times in a row can add up a lot of time, whereas after failing to break down the door once, you’re not going to make your presence any more known than you already did.

I mean, I guess in the example I kind of implied the party was under some kind of actual time limit, not just worried about random encounters, but... I didn’t have anything specific in mind for the example. Maybe the dungeon is filling with poisoned gas or something. That was a pretty cool mechanic in Hidden Shine of Tamoachan, so we’ll go with that.

*usually. In a less dangerous but still not completely safe environment I’ll use a d8, in a highly dangerous environment I’ll use a d4.

I need to follow Angry DM more religiously. But this is awesome. Totally doing it next session.

Sadras

Legend
But do you understand the distinction I'm trying to make? It's "you're now in this situation and must make a skill roll" vs. "you are facing this problem what do you want to do?"

I understand the distinction you are making.

The general pattern I ascribe to is:
GM narrates something, and either says or implies, “What do you do?”
Player describes a course of action (preferably using goal and approach)
If the course of action would require a skill check, the DM says, “that’s gonna take a [skill] check with a DC of X. If you fail the consequence is Y. Do you want to try?”

Your method above though I find very interesting.
Firstly the mechanics are laid bare with the DC, consequences revealed up front.
Secondly there is an almost pre-assessment of actions which is strange for me in this specific example.

It is almost as if before the PCs make up their mind they can propose a number of replies to the NPC and based on the DM's DCs and consequences, select the best one as opposed to engaging naturally in the social pillar and see what may come.

I don't view this specific example like if the PCs were being faced with challenges such as climbing over a wall or stealthily breaking and entering where PCs have the luxury of time to assess the difficulty as well as understand the obvious consequences.

EDIT: Perhaps I can see the consequences in the social pillar example being tied to the Insight skill, whereby said skill allows the PC to figure out the possible negative effects, should the dialogue fail.

Last edited:

G

Guest 6801328

I wanted to give my take on this example.

So most of the time talking to the Troll King looks like something is going to be at stake: if that's not the case then we (that is, GM and players) can free-narration through it until we get to something that does involve stakes.

Assuming, then, that there is something at stake in the conversation with the Troll King, like 5ekyu I call for a check. In my case this is not so much connected to "player vs character", but to the principle of "say 'yes' or roll the dice", which Luke Crane (BW Gold, p 72) glosses this way:

Unless there is something at stake in the story you have created, don't bother with the dice. Keep moving, keep describing, keep roleplaying. But as soon as a character wants something that he doesn't have, needs to know something he doesn't know, covets something that someone else has, roll the dice. . . . When there is conflict, roll the dice. There is no social agreement for the resolution of conflict in this game. Roll the dice and let the obstacle system guide the outcome. Success or failure doesn’t really matter. So long as the intent of the task is clearly stated, the story is going somewhere.​

So the check is "forced onto the player" in virtue of him/her having pushed play to the point of conflict. (Which of course is what the GM is trying to achieve!, by applying pressure on the players via their PCs.)

I don't generally allow the player to back out: the player should already have a sense of difficulty when getting into the situation and declaring the action, either in virtue of familiarity with the system (this is how 4e andMHRP/Cortex+ Heroic work) or in virtue of a good sense of the state of the fiction (this is how BW and Prince Valiant work, and is also my sense of how most people run 5e).

I think it's important for consequences to be clear - and I don't think of this through the lens of character knowledge but player knowledge - because the player needs to have a sense of what sort of resources to throw at the check (which depending on system and circumstances could be anything from fate/inspiration points, to equipment, to spells and potions, to . . .). Luke Crane says the following about making consequences clear (BW Gold, p 32):

When a player sets out a task for his character and states his intent, it is the GM’s job to inform him of the consequences of failure before the dice are rolled.

"If you fail this…" should often be heard at the table. Let the players know the consequences of their actions. Failure is not the end of the line,
but it is complication that pushes the story in another direction.

Once that is said, everyone knows what's at stake and play can continue smoothly no matter what the result of the roll is.​

However, in his subsequently-published book of GMing advice (The Adventure Burner) Crane says that, in his own game, rather than stating the consequences expressly he often relies on context - of the fiction, of the mood at the table, etc - to make them implicit. When I'm GMing, I alternate between express and implicit consequences depending on inclination and whim. But again, for me this has a different motivation from that which 5ekyu states. I'm not worries about player vs character knowledge, and so even if consequence is implicit it will be implicit to the player as well as the GM - there won't be "hidden" bits of the fiction that suddenly emerge into the action on the basis of a failure. It's about pacing and narrative continuity and not weakening emotional intensity with needless explanation.

In a style in which players are "forced" to make checks, and so failure is going to happen from time-to-time (in a system with mechanics that are generous to players) or quite often (in a system like Burning Wheel that is fairly brutal on the players), I regard establishing failures which (i) honour what was at stake, and (ii) follow impeccably from the fiction, and (iii) that are fair to the player and not an excessive hosing, as probably one of the most important demands on the GM. It's very different from a "skilled play" paradigm where it's quite fair that failure at least sometimes be hosing, because skilled players will avoid failure by avoiding checks.

This doesn't seem right. Maybe I've misunderstood 5ekyu's example, but as at least as I'm imagining it either (i) the player has chosen to have his/her PC seek an audience with the Troll King; or (ii) some prior failure has meant that the player's desire that his/her PC avoid such an audience has not been realised.

if it's (i), well what did the player expect? If you're going to have an audience with a king, it seems likely your interpersonal ability will be tested. If it's (ii), well the player has the full sweep of his/her ingenuity to draw on - anything from blowing up the Troll King, to talking to him, to conjuring an illusion to escape behind, to abasing him-/herself before the Troll King and promising fealty!

Neither pathway to the situation involves the player being boxed in.

Good post. A couple of comments:

1) Certainly the players deciding to seek out the troll king (somewhat) changes the dynamic, as opposed to, for example, them being captured and then dragged in front of the troll king.

2) Still, even if that's the case, once the fighter is on the spot I don't like a pre-ordained "you must use a social skill now." Let the fighter propose something. "Let me fight your champion!" "I'll pull out that gem-encrusted goblet and offer it to the king as a gift of my esteem." Whatever. And maybe, depending on what the player proposes, the DM will still rule that it will require a skill check of some sort, and maybe even a Cha-based skill. What makes me wary is the idea that "You ARE going to have to make a Cha check to get out of this." (Especially if it's designed as some sort of punishment for dumping Cha, as at least one poster has suggested.)

G

Guest 6801328

Firstly the mechanics are laid bare with the DC, consequences revealed up front.
Secondly there is an almost pre-assessment of actions which is strange for me in this specific example.

It is almost as if before the PCs make up their mind they can propose a number of replies to the NPC and based on the DM's DCs and consequences, select the best one as opposed to engaging naturally in the social pillar and see what may come.

I don't view this specific example like if the PCs were being faced with challenges such as climbing over a wall or stealthily breaking and entering where PCs have the luxury of time to assess the difficulty and as well as understand the obvious consequences.

Ok, after 3 references to it I'm really regretting how I phrased that. One more time: it doesn't have to be the specific DC and the specific consequence, just a general sense of how hard it will be, and what sort of thing might go wrong. And, honestly, I could have (should have?) left that sentence out completely as it's only a refinement of the main point.

But in general I do think players should have some sense of how hard something will be before they attempt it. There are probably exceptions.

I don't see a problem with the section in bold at all. The DM's description of the environment is always going to be incomplete, and even where it's not the players will often get a different impression than the DM is trying to convey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I need to follow Angry DM more religiously. But this is awesome. Totally doing it next session.

His GMing advice is indispensable. Unfortunately his douchebaggery goes beyond the persona. But if you can separate the art from the artist as it were, most of his actual content is well worth the read.

Sadras

Legend
But in general I do think players should have some sense of how hard something will be before they attempt it. There are probably exceptions.

Agree, this was done in my edit (we were cross-posting). :)
I feel that the Insight skill would work quite well in this - perhaps revealing the difficulty and possible consequences/hurdles should the conversation not go as planned.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!

I don't view this specific example like if the PCs were being faced with challenges such as climbing over a wall or stealthily breaking and entering where PCs have the luxury of time to assess the difficulty as well as understand the obvious consequences.

EDIT: Perhaps I can see the consequences in the social pillar example being tied to the Insight skill, whereby said skill allows the PC to figure out the possible negative effects, should the dialogue fail.
I don't see this in play. If I did, it's fairly easily handled by just adding additional fictional pressure -- indicate that the waffling is angering the troll king, forcing a choice or facing consequences. The fiction isn't forced to pause indefinitely while the player deliberates. You can start it up again if they're having trouble deciding.

Remove ads