If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

If someone has a tool, equipment, magic or other ability to enhance I assume they're using them. If there's any question, they'll ask.

Serious question: Do you have all your players' characters' tools/equipment/magic/abilities memorized? I am thinking not, but maybe you have a photographic memory. In which case, cool! Or maybe you look at their sheets a lot during play?

For most DMs without photographic (or even really good) memories, or at tables where it is not feasible to see all the character sheets, it seems the process would be easier if the players declared how they wanted to accomplish something instead of the DM assuming they're using the thing(s) that the DM likely doesn't know about. I guess DMs can ask for clarification, too. In that sense, our styles of play have a similarity: without enough information to resolve an action declaration, the DM asks for clarification.

Oofta

Legend
Serious question: Do you have all your players' characters' tools/equipment/magic/abilities memorized? I am thinking not, but maybe you have a photographic memory. In which case, cool! Or maybe you look at their sheets a lot during play?

For most DMs without photographic (or even really good) memories, or at tables where it is not feasible to see all the character sheets, it seems the process would be easier if the players declared how they wanted to accomplish something instead of the DM assuming they're using the thing(s) that the DM likely doesn't know about. I guess DMs can ask for clarification, too. In that sense, our styles of play have a similarity: without enough information to resolve an action declaration, the DM asks for clarification.

i generally know the important things. But I also expect them to apply any bonuses/penalties appropriate to the situation. I trust my players to not knowingly cheat just like they trust me to not spring a DM gotcha on them.

So if someone has boots of spider climbing and they just climb up the wall with no check, I may question it once or twice but eventually I'll remember. No different than getting a crit on the guy with adamantine armor, he had to remind me every once in a while but most of the time I remembered.

i generally know the important things. But I also expect them to apply any bonuses/penalties appropriate to the situation. I trust my players to not knowingly cheat just like they trust me to not spring a DM gotcha on them.

So if someone has boots of spider climbing and they just climb up the wall with no check, I may question it once or twice but eventually I'll remember. No different than getting a crit on the guy with adamantine armor, he had to remind me every once in a while but most of the time I remembered.

Ah - yes. I'd gather that this is all quite common among the many tables represented here, regardless of preferred playstyle.

Chaosmancer

Legend
See, in my experience the goal and approach style leads players to be more willing to try things, because they see that trying things doesn’t always lead to a check. Things that seem likely to work often just do, and when things require a check to do, you get fair warning first. Of course, if you ask for checks for most actions, and you don’t give players a heads up about the risk and potential consequences of failure, then every check having consequences for failure probably would lead to turtling. If you can’t easily predict whether or not an action will require a roll to resolve (or alternatively, if you can reliably predict that most actions will require a roll to resolve), you don’t get fair warning before having to make a check, and checks always make the situation worse on a failure, naturally doing anything will be scary. But that’s not how most of us who use goal and approach do it. You’ve got to evaluate the technique holistically, instead of evaluating wach individual element as if it was brought over to your game on its own.

You know, I'm not going to disagree with you but something jumped out at me. I bolded it... okay, I bolded a lot, but it was all to the same point.

Why are checks bad?

Not trying to get into the philosophy that asking for checks is asking for failure, or saying that you think checks are bad, but look at some of your word choice. Particularly, "don't get fair warning before [a] check"

Why does a player need "fair warning" before a check? Maybe it is personal vernacular, but I tend to hear that phrase in contexts like "Fair warning, Josh has been eating beans all night". It is a warning about something potentially bad... and since when are checks bad? Bad enough we have to warn players "Hey, just so you know, that might require you to roll a check"

I don't want this to come across as an accusation, but it is a strange concept to me and I felt it was worth pointing out.

Is this disagreement based on direct experience, or theory?

Both?

I can tell you it isn't based on peer-reviewed research, but I'm not sure why this is the second time I've been asked about my direct experiences. Have all the times I've talked about my games at my tables and how things have gone for us not demonstrated that I have direct experience as a DM?

See, I wouldn’t tell the players, “the ritual circle will blow up if you fail,” because as you say, it doesn’t really make sense for them to know that. Maybe if one of the PCs is familiar with the ritual, but let’s assume that’s not the case for the sake of argument. I’d tell them that failing to properly disrupt the circle will cause a dangerous magical disturbance. And that might prompt the players to want to prove further before rushing ahead and trying to disrupt the circle.

“What kind of magical disturbance,” on player might ask.
“Hard to say, are you proficient in Arcana?”
“Yes!”
“Ok, you’d be familiar enough with ritual circles to know that the magic involved is extremely volatile. All kinds of strange effects can happen if the magical energy is not diffused properly. Any more than that would require a more thorough examination of the circle.”
“Ok, I study the runes ti see if I can figure out what might happen.”
“That will take 10 minutes and a successful Intelligence check. Your Arcana proficiency would apply.”
“What happens if I fail?”
“Nothing beyond the wasted 10 minutes. Of course, that will bring us closer to the next check for random encounters.”
“Alright, lets do it.”
“Anyone else have anything they would like to do while Alora examines the runes?”

Very much like in the earlier example with the ogre behind the door, I didn’t say “if you fail, an ogre on the other side of the door is going to know your here and prepare to attack you as soon as you opened it.” I said that trying to break the door down would be very loud and would alert any nearby enemies to their presence. Immediate, direct consequences are sufficient to inform the player of what could go wrong, without having to give them details they would have no ability to predict.

I disagree. I feel like whether or not a chandelier is sturdy enough to support the weight of a human(oid) should be pretty obvious at a glance. I also feel like the majority of the time it should be obvious that it can’t. I probably wouldn’t even make that a consequence for failure, I’d make that a cost for the attempt. “The chandelier will definitely fall if you swing from it, but with success on a Hard Dexterity check, you can swing to the other end of the balcony and let go before it snaps.” Or something like that. In any case, “the chandelier might break and fall with you on it” seems very much like “are you sure you want to do the obviously dumb thing?” kind of information to me.

I'd say you are missing the point with both of these, because neither one of your responses hits upon what I was trying to get at.

I'm not taking about a flimsy chandelier, I'm talking about a sturdy one, but maybe the wood has loosened around the nails due to age. The reason why it is going to collapse isn't the point, the point was it wasn't obvious at a glance. If it was obvious, then of course it would be mentioned.

I would also say that "dangerous magical disturbance" is parlance for "magic explosion", maybe even "wild magic going out of control" so you are telling them.

And none of that addresses the point. Some times, it is more fun not to know. Just like you see the "are you sure you want to do the dumb thing" in the chandelier, that's what I'm seeing you say with the magic circle. They are messing with something of power and you raised a flag "warning, this might be dangerous" causing them to slow down and reevaluate. Which is fine, caution play is perfectly fine, but you've also taken the tension out of the moment. After that ten minutes of studying those runes they will know exactly what might happen, and for some players always knowing exactly what could happen would be boring.

That is the point I was trying to make. Sometimes, people want to jump into the unknown and take a risk. Sometimes that is the excitement, and having the DM wave a flag that says "okay, just remember these are the consequences" takes away from that excitement. It is a different style.

You stated: "I think that is almost worse than 'correct' since there is some inherent sarcasm in the idea of a correct approach that highlights what it was Mort was objecting to. Mainly, that describing a set of actions that the DM agrees with means you will not have to risk failure. Which leads to what some people refer to as 'gaming the DM' where they can dump intelligence or charisma stats and still dominate the social and exploration parts of the game, because they know how to describe things to the DMs liking, while players who have those stats and abilities but can't or don't describe things to the DMs liking end up suffering because of it."

I pointed out that this outcome is only if the DM behaves in a manner inconsistent with the standards the DMG sets forth for how the DM acts, in that the DM is not acting as "...an impartial yet involved referee who acts a mediator between the rules and the players. And who, by following the 'middle path' is balancing the use of dice against deciding on success to 'encourage players to strike a balance between relying on their bonuses and abilities and paying attention to the game and immersing themselves in its world.'"

If you agree with that statement, then this addresses your objection and, in the context of the overall discussion, looks like progress of a kind to me as it a recognition that not doing things in the manner the rules expect can lead to undesirable outcomes.

Okay, you just don't get what I was trying to say. That's fine.

[MENTION=762]Mort[/MENTION] had an objection to a style where there was a "correct" approach.

The person they were objecting to responded with a preference for saying there were "good" and "bad" approaches.

My point was that using that language is even worse.

If you insist on telling me that you only call for checks when someone is using a "bad" approach, then I don't care if you are also saying you are "an impartial yet involved referee who acts a mediator between the rules and the players." Because one of those two statements has to be false due to your word choice.

That is because only calling for checks when there is a "bad" approach would mean you are not impartial, there is a preference and you are acting upon it, which means that the language of "good" and "bad" approaches would lead to accusations of gaming the DM, because that is what labeling those approaches with that language would mean.

In using "correct" like Mort did, in the context of their post, there was a clear sarcasm in the word choice, there is no "correct" approach, and even calling an approach "correct" makes little sense in the context of a game with free-form approaches. So it was less objectionable as it helped make the point Mort was attempting to make.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If you insist on telling me that you only call for checks when someone is using a "bad" approach, then I don't care if you are also saying you are "an impartial yet involved referee who acts a mediator between the rules and the players." Because one of those two statements has to be false due to your word choice.

Per the rules, I call for checks when the outcome of the task is uncertain and there's a meaningful consequence for failure. There are approaches that make achieving the goal more difficult, however, which is why the DM is tasked by the rules to set DCs and/or grant advantage or disadvantage depending on what the player describes as wanting to do (in addition to just saying something succeeds or fails outright).

G

Guest 6801328

I was sharing/discussing my wine-rack-secret-door story with a couple friends, and one asked (mischievously) how I would feel about a 6 Int character solving it.

I’d have no problem with it in general, but I think I would especially like it if the player role played his character’s weakness by saying, “Well, I’m no good at this sort of thing, so I guess I’ll make myself useful and unload that wine we were given. Not sure why, but for some reason I feel compelled to put wine bottles in the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th slots.”

I know some people will HATE that, but I would think it’s awesome. I think that’s great roleplaying.

Discuss.

Tony Vargas

Legend
You know, I'm not going to disagree with you but something jumped out at me. I bolded it... okay, I bolded a lot, but it was all to the same point.

Why are checks bad?
Oooh, good question.

I guess, short answer: because you can fail them.

As gets mentioned in various commentaries now and then, BA has left kinda a narrow gap between really good and just OK, as afar as bonuses go, and an upshot of that is a PC that's s'posedta be good at something can still fail more than the player might like. Getting the DM to narrate success instead of calling for a check is thus not just a good way of engineering success, it's a good way of establishing/defending your character concept.

Not trying to get into the philosophy that asking for checks is asking for failure
Oops, sorry, nevermind …

I was sharing/discussing my wine-rack-secret-door story with a couple friends, and one asked (mischievously) how I would feel about a 6 Int character solving it.

I’d have no problem with it in general, but I think I would especially like it if the player role played his character’s weakness by saying, “Well, I’m no good at this sort of thing, so I guess I’ll make myself useful and unload that wine we were given. Not sure why, but for some reason I feel compelled to put wine bottles in the 1st, 3rd, 6th, and 7th slots.”

I know some people will HATE that, but I would think it’s awesome. I think that’s great roleplaying.

Discuss.
It's not like you don't see that in movies & TV. The dumb or even just distracted or frustrated character solves the puzzle by accident.

It's a fair reason to put more detail into narration after the roll, rather than always declaring a plausible 'method' with actions. When the players all pile on to some check and the least appropriate one happens to succeed, you narrate it that way, for a laugh.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I would say that ability checks aren't inherently good or bad. If your goal is success, then automatic success is better than leaving it to chance, e.g. use the key to unlock the door rather than pick the lock with thieves' tools in a dramatic situation. But ultimately the ability check is just a mechanic that resolves uncertainty as to the outcome of a task when there's a meaningful consequence for failure, no more, no less.

WaterRabbit

Explorer

That is what I dislike the most here. Why are you assuming that cheating is involved anywhere? Why bring it up?

That is not at all the reason why understanding how the player is trying to accomplish a task works. Unless you are playing a board game version of the game, it is unlikely that the players have access to all of the information involving the the task they are trying to accomplish. How a player tries to climb the metaphorical wall (because we really aren't talking about just a wall, but any task) makes a difference in outcomes and the information they get.

In your game, they player declares they climb the wall. However, in mine they might be using pitons to create ropes because other party members have terrible athletics. By using pitons, they actually break pieces of rock off and find an ancient bas relief underneath. But if they just climbed straight up with their hands they wouldn't.

The "how" matters as much as the "what" -- sometimes more. But this is the difference between roll-play and role-play. Either is fine, but each has a different goal in mind.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Why are checks bad?

Not trying to get into the philosophy that asking for checks is asking for failure, or saying that you think checks are bad, but look at some of your word choice. Particularly, "don't get fair warning before [a] check"

Why does a player need "fair warning" before a check? Maybe it is personal vernacular, but I tend to hear that phrase in contexts like "Fair warning, Josh has been eating beans all night". It is a warning about something potentially bad... and since when are checks bad? Bad enough we have to warn players "Hey, just so you know, that might require you to roll a check"

I don't want this to come across as an accusation, but it is a strange concept to me and I felt it was worth pointing out.
Because they have a possibility of failure and consequences for failure. I don’t mean to come off accusatory here either, but... how is this only striking you now? Haven’t we been discussing this for the past 100 pages? Wasn’t the fact that checks always have consequences your primary objection to my way of running things?

YBoth?

I can tell you it isn't based on peer-reviewed research, but I'm not sure why this is the second time I've been asked about my direct experiences. Have all the times I've talked about my games at my tables and how things have gone for us not demonstrated that I have direct experience as a DM?
You have demonstrated that you have direct experience with your style of DMing. You have also demonstrated such difficulty in understanding the goal and approach style, that it did not seem likely to me that you had any experience running a game that way. Not wanting to assume, I asked for clarification.

YI'd say you are missing the point with both of these, because neither one of your responses hits upon what I was trying to get at.

I'm not taking about a flimsy chandelier, I'm talking about a sturdy one, but maybe the wood has loosened around the nails due to age. The reason why it is going to collapse isn't the point, the point was it wasn't obvious at a glance. If it was obvious, then of course it would be mentioned.
Right, but if you’re the GM, you’re the one who decided that this chandelier is liable to break for a reason that the character has no way of boing about. Your reasoning for not telling the player that the chandelier might fall if they try to jump on it is that their character couldn’t know that. But their character could know that, if you hadn’t designed the challenge in such a way that they couldn’t. I’m sorry, but to me that feels like a gotcha. If your players are cool with you setting up challenges this way, that’s awesome, but personally, as a DM, I would not feel comfortable doing that.

YI would also say that "dangerous magical disturbance" is parlance for "magic explosion", maybe even "wild magic going out of control" so you are telling them.
Not really. “Dangerous magical disturbance” could mean a lot of things, and assuming it means “magic explosion” could be dangerous, if it actually means “will summon a random creature from a random plane of existentence,” for example. You might make preparations for an explosion like taking cover or quaffing a potion of fire resistance or something, and then find yourself dealing with a Marid or something instead of what you expected to happen. And that’s kind of the point of the method. You’re dealing with the consequences of your decisions, instead of the consequences of a poor dice roll. I, as a player, would find it to be a much more satisfying experience having to fight that Marid after having expected a magical explosion than taking a magical explosion after not having known what to expect might happen as a result of my failure on an Arcana check to disrupt a ritual circle. The former is my own fault for not having investigated further to confirm my suspicions. The latter is just an unpredictable mishap that occurred as a result of a crappy dice roll.

YAnd none of that addresses the point. Some times, it is more fun not to know. Just like you see the "are you sure you want to do the dumb thing" in the chandelier, that's what I'm seeing you say with the magic circle. They are messing with something of power and you raised a flag "warning, this might be dangerous" causing them to slow down and reevaluate. Which is fine, caution play is perfectly fine, but you've also taken the tension out of the moment. After that ten minutes of studying those runes they will know exactly what might happen, and for some players always knowing exactly what could happen would be boring.

That is the point I was trying to make.

Sometimes, people want to jump into the unknown and take a risk. Sometimes that is the excitement, and having the DM wave a flag that says "okay, just remember these are the consequences" takes away from that excitement. It is a different style.

I’m sorry, but that does not sound at all like the argument you were making. Permenton said:
My view remains that (i) if you put things at stake and make it clear how those consequences will factor into adjudication, players will declare actions for their PCs, and (ii) this makes for better and more dramatic RPGing.

To which you responded:
I respect that that is your view, but I tend to disagree.
Prompting me to ask for clarification as to whether or not you had personal experience with (i) and it not leading to (ii), and:
The players go to disable a powerful ritual circle, they don't know the consequences for failure. Maybe they will fail and the circle will stand, maybe it will blow up, maybe it will unleash some mutated horror. They don't know, and that murky future can be interesting for some players. They aren't making decisions because they know what will happen, but because they are just as blind as any other character in any other medium about where their choices will lead them.

Sure, sometimes things are obvious, sometimes they know what the consequences for failure are and that makes for the tension, but other times it should be unknown. The swashbuckler doesn't need to know that failing that acrobatics check means they break the chandelier and fall. They have no way to know that in the heat of combat.
The thrust of your argument seems to me to be that the character’s “have no way of knowing”, therefore the players shouldn’t know either. And I voiced my disagreement with the premise that the characters have no way of knowing - in the magic circle example, it should be pretty obvious to anyone who lives in a world where magic circles are a thing that messing with them can lead to negative results, and that’s all the players need to know to satisfy (i). In the chandelier example, the character’s would absolutely be able to make a reasonable guess that the chandelier wouldn’t support their weight, unless you as DM are actively hiding the information that might lead them to that conclusion, such as by deciding that it looks perfectly sturdy, but the beams are rotten, and that rot is not immediately apparent.

If your argument was that “sometimes it’s fun to not know that an action might have negative consequences,” then you’ve not made that clear at all. Personally, I would not find that fun. But if you do, I’m not going to tell you you’re wrong. Just wouldn’t be the game for me.

Remove ads