D&D 5E Tindertwig for 5th edition?

abe ray

Explorer
In 3.5 edition there was a match wannabe called the tindertwig it was made using alchemy if it helps,now how would it work for 5th edition

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In 3.5 edition there was a match wannabe called the tindertwig it was made using alchemy if it helps,now how would it work for 5th edition

Honestly, a straight port should be sufficient. The only mechanical bits that would be "incompatible" would be the reference to standard and long actions. Since there's no mention of the time that it takes to light a torch under normal circumstances, I'd just remove the reference to actions and use the rest as-is.

Tormyr

Adventurer
There is a 5e version of the tindertwig in Shelter from the Storm.

Tindertwig. The alchemical substance on the end of this small, wooden stick ignites when struck against a rough surface. Creating a flame with a tindertwig is much faster than creating a flame with a tinderbox. Using it to light a torch—or anything else with abundant, exposed fuel—takes a bonus action. Lighting any other fire takes 30 seconds. The alchemical substance is consumed on ignition, and the entire twig is consumed after burning for 1 minute.

Cost: 1gp

jasper

Rotten DM
There is a 5e version of the tindertwig in Shelter from the Storm.

Tindertwig. The alchemical substance on the end of this small, wooden stick ignites when struck against a rough surface. Creating a flame with a tindertwig is much faster than creating a flame with a tinderbox. Using it to light a torch—or anything else with abundant, exposed fuel—takes a bonus action. Lighting any other fire takes 30 seconds. The alchemical substance is consumed on ignition, and the entire twig is consumed after burning for 1 minute.

Cost: 1gp

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
Matches is expensive in the realms. If I every control the door to Potterville, Realms, Hobbiton, etc, I controlling the match industry. I will introduce the new safety matches first. Then find a manufacture for the old 70s version. Sell those a 3x gp.
Insert evil capitalist pig dog laugh.

aco175

Legend
I would charge 1sp per twig. This way most people still would not use them, but PCs can get a bunch to use. I like the idea of using a bonus action to start a torch or lantern. I think the normal rules may have lighting a torch as an action, which sounds low to me, but I never really have thought about it. Kind of like ammo and food in my games where the PCs just cross off 5-10gp when in town to pay for things like this and bath, lodging, and things like sharpening weapons and such. Beer and companionship.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Any new thoughts on the subject?
[MENTION=6848971]abe ray[/MENTION] your habit of starting a thread asking a question, and not even acknowledging (let a alone thanking) those who go out of their way to help you is a little rude. It’s been going on for some time. If somebody helps you out, please have the decency to thank them before asking them something for something else. Thanks! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases