D&D 5E Monk multi-class

Paul Smart

Explorer
Hello everyone.

I am curious which of these you would choose and why:

Open Hand Monk 5 / Bear Barbarian 3 - Strenght based Turtle (bear powers reimaged as turtle powers)

Open Hand Monk 5 / Battle Master Fighter 3 - Dex based Halfling

Open Hand Monk 8 (no multiclass) - Dex based Halfling

Thanks

Satyrn

First Post
I'd go with the Open Hand Monk 5 / Bear Barbarian 3 - Strenght based Turtle (bear powers reimaged as turtle powers).

That sounds fun.

Hey, can I also use Torgue Turtles as my ranged weapon?

Tormyr

Adventurer
One of my players had a Lightfoot Halfling Thief 14 / Way of the Four Elements 6 Monk that did well in a level 1-20+ campaign.

The strength-based monk / barb sounds fun. I would even swing further into the barbarian levels and just use monk for the unarmed strike and slow fall.

Also
EXPLOSIONS!!!! </Torgue>

I

Immortal Sun

Single-class. With the scaling class features of the Monk, it only gets better the longer you stick with it. Elemental Monk is fun, but not really well costed. The Open Palm monk on the other hand is just good old straight forward kung-fu awesomeness and it only gets more awesomely kung-fun *ba dum tish* the more you stick with it.

I like the barbarian mix. But I strongly disagree with bear totem barbarian. While quite nice, the bear totem resistance does not bring a lot to the table. In 90% of the fights you don't notice a difference to normal resitances.
If you want to stick to totem barbarian, look at the eagle totem. It allows to take dash as a bonus action for free and opportunity attacks are made with disadvantage. Mobility is key for the monk. Another dea would be elk totem IIRC. It just gives straight +20ft move speed while raging.
I don't see turtle powers in the level 3 bear feature.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Single-class. With the scaling class features of the Monk, it only gets better the longer you stick with it. Elemental Monk is fun, but not really well costed. The Open Palm monk on the other hand is just good old straight forward kung-fu awesomeness and it only gets more awesomely kung-fun *ba dum tish* the more you stick with it.

I concur. The only monk multi-class that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend is a shadow-monk rogue... and even then, a pure rogue or a pure shadow-monk might be more fun anyway.

I

Immortal Sun

I concur. The only monk multi-class that I wouldn't hesitate to recommend is a shadow-monk rogue... and even then, a pure rogue or a pure shadow-monk might be more fun anyway.

I generally feel that 5E is the most supportive edition for single-classing outside spellcasters.

While there are neat combos outside of it and interesting ways to create unique characters, mechanically speaking, A to Z is very functional in 5E

Remove ads