Classic British television shows

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m not sure you can use Benny Hill and non-vulgar in the same sentence, the guy was one of the stars of British bawdry and a particular style of British humour that came to prominence from the 50s to 70s then died in the 80s with the rise of modern sensibilities. Are You Being Served and the Carry on series fit the same genre. To a lesser extent you have it in Dads Army too and on the racial end you have Ain’t half hot Mum.

All shows that have their appeal but which must be appreciated as relics of a bygone era

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I remember Benny Hill having topless girls. Here in The US that would be vulgar to many even now.

The local PBS station that shows the British sitcom used to have Father Ted and The Vicar of Dibley in the rotation. I haven't seen them in years. Are You Being Served, and As Time Goes By, and the one with the Buckets seem to never go away. Red Dwarf was on for a long time too. I can't remember the last time classic Doctor Who was on. Doc Martin, Poldark, Death in Paradise are a few of thr dramas on here.

I want to make a donation with caveat that they change the line up. We want some different stuff. A scifi night might be fun.

Off the top of my head:

Blake's 7 - Sci-fi with 70s social values. Veering on camp but the actors are RADA graduates, so they get away with it and you get completely sucked in. I watched this again last year for the first time in literally 40 years. It is even more awesome than I remember.

Brass Eye - Satirical mock news show from the 90s

I, Claudius

The Singing Detective - Really, any screenplay by Dennis Potter. Potter died of bowel cancer; rather wittily, he called his tumour "Rupert" because "it invaded the body politic." That was almost thirty years ago; Potter is long dead, but the other cancer has progressed.

Robin of Sherwood - Michael Praed as Robin. Clannad soundtrack.

Arthur of the Britons - Real high-budget stuff

The Buddha of Suburbia - More of a miniseries, I suppose. Great soundtrack.

If you enjoy children's TV paired with altered states of consciousness, I recommend The Clangers, The Magic Roundabout and Mr. Benn.

Dioltach

Legend
Blake's 7 - Sci-fi with 70s social values. Veering on camp but the actors are RADA graduates, so they get away with it and you get completely sucked in. I watched this again last year for the first time in literally 40 years. It is even more awesome than I remember.

Fun fact: Steven Pacey, who played Tarrant in the last two series, narrates the audiobooks of Joe Abercrombie's First Law books.

Last edited:

Dioltach

Legend
And another one that hasn't been mentioned, but that's one of the cleverest shows ever made (and still very relevant): Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases