Classic British television shows

Ryujin

Legend
I remember Benny Hill having topless girls. Here in The US that would be vulgar to many even now.

The local PBS station that shows the British sitcom used to have Father Ted and The Vicar of Dibley in the rotation. I haven't seen them in years. Are You Being Served, and As Time Goes By, and the one with the Buckets seem to never go away. Red Dwarf was on for a long time too. I can't remember the last time classic Doctor Who was on. Doc Martin, Poldark, Death in Paradise are a few of thr dramas on here.

I want to make a donation with caveat that they change the line up. We want some different stuff. A scifi night might be fun.

The Benny Hill Show is enough part of the zeitgeist that others do homages to it in movies. "V for Vendetta" had their chase scene on the set of a talk show, in which Sutler chases V. I can't remember the other movie's name, but the scene involves someone requesting execution by being chased off a cliff by a group of topless women in bicycle helmets.

*EDIT* Of course, it was "The Meaning of Life."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
heh this thread has inspired a bit of nostalgia as I recall some old shows

The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin - about a middle managers midlife crisis
All Creatures Great and Small - about a vet
Worzel Gummidge - Jon Pertwee as a scarecrow
Allo Allo - the French Resistance in WW2
Hi-De-Hi! - a British Holiday Camp
The Good Life - Urban Farmers in London
Last of the Summer Wine - three old gents in Yorkshire

and more recently
Doc Martin - a doctor in a Cornish village

MarkB

Legend
One that's come to mind for me recently is Star Cops - a short-lived and little-known series with an interesting twist, being a police-procedural series that happened to be set in near-future Earth orbit in a reasonably hard-SF setting. Like a lot of BBC series it pushed well past the limitations of both its budget and the FX technology of its time, but it had a lot of charm - I really liked the characters, and it did a good job of presenting a plausible vision of human expansion into space.

Richards

Legend
To throw in a couple more favorite British comedies I haven't seen mentioned yet: "The Goodies" and "The Two Ronnies." I was a big fan of both, thanks to my local PBS station.

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases