John Wick Sells 7th Sea to Chaosium

A couple of years ago, game designer John Wick acquired the rights to his 1999 roleplaying game, 7th Sea from publisher AEG, and launched a record-breaking Kickstarter for a 2nd Edition which sailed past a million dollars. Last year, the company ran into financial difficulties and laid off most of its staff. Now, Wick has sold the property to Chaosium, who will be fulfilling the remainder of the struggling Kickstarter. Here’s the press release.

attachment.php

Chaosium, publishers of the award-winning tabletop roleplaying games Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, and King Arthur Pendragon, has acquired John Wick’s acclaimed 7th Sea RPG , it was announced today.

7th Sea is John’s Wick’s swashbuckling and sorcery roleplaying game set set in the fictional world of Théah. The second edition of 7th Sea was crowdfunded by John Wick’s own company, John Wick Presents in 2016, setting a then-record on Kickstarter for a tabletop RPG, raising over $1.3 million dollars.

John Wick himself will be joining Chaosium as creative director for 7th Sea. He will continue to have creative oversight of his game, and will remain a principal author of 7th Sea material going forward. Beyond that, John Wick will also write for other Chaosium game lines, for which he has great affection.

“John is an extraordinarily talented designer and highly regarded figure in the world of tabletop rpgs. We are delighted to have him join our team”, said Chaosium President Rick Meints.

Following the death of Chaosium founder Greg Stafford in November last year, John’s memorial piece about Greg's titanic influence on the landscape of tabletop games was shared and quoted widely (The Gray Crane).

John Wick said,"My first RPG was a Chaosium game. My second RPG was a Chaosium game. My third RPG was a Chaosium game. Saying 'I'm excited to be joining the Chaosium team' just doesn't do it. I've respected and admired the company for over thirty years. I'm joining the same company who started me on this journey and I couldn't be prouder."

Upon acquiring this new game line, Chaosium’s paramount objective for 7th Sea is the fulfilment of the outstanding rewards from the 7th Sea Second Edition and 7th Sea Khitai Kickstarters. Coinciding with this announcement, John Wick has updated all Kickstarter backers with the new arrangements, which will see Chaosium overseeing the remaining fulfilment of the campaigns.

Over coming weeks, 7th Sea products and content will begin to be migrated to Chaosium.com and Chaosium’s page at DriveThruRPG. A 7th Sea discussion board will also be set up at BRP Central, Chaosium’s forums.

For media enquires about John Wick and 7th Sea contact: Michael O'Brien.

Good news for 7th Sea. Wick must have really dug himself a hole with that Kickstarter, but good to see he didn’t just leave it in a steaming pile like many other Kickstarter creators have done.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I was kinda hoping this was an April Fool's post. I am really not a fan of his work and hope he doesn't negatively affect Chaosium (which I am a fan of)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I have no idea how it must feel. The highs of acquiring the rights to your own game, and then running the biggest RPG Kickstarter ever, and then coming to this must be quite the rollercoaster. But finding some other way to ensure Kickstarter backers got their rewards was the responsible thing to do.

"7th Sea", a world where if an expedition from Avalon finds a Stargate and destroy an alien ship, they become heroes, but the same action done by a Castillan explorer squad to save the world, then these are barbarians and zealots who destroy all they can't understand.

This franchises is one of the best examples of how speculative fiction can be used as a propaganda weapon.

imagineGod

Legend
I have no idea how it must feel. The highs of acquiring the rights to your own game, and then running the biggest RPG Kickstarter ever, and then coming to this must be quite the rollercoaster. But finding some other way to ensure Kickstarter backers got their rewards was the responsible thing to do.
Credit to John Wick for being so considerate of the fate of backers along with his own sanity.

I supported other Kickstarters, one which funded successfully, over-promised stretch goals, burnt down due to its own success, and the creator skulked away in a very bad state, with angry backers and no resolution for years till date. :-(

PMárk

Explorer
Well. 7th Sea 2e was a huge letdown for me, primarily because of its rules system. It seems nothing will change on that front, so, my stance will rmeain "not interested" about it, sadly, because I was initially very hyped about it, since I loved the first edition.

On the other hand, I hope Chaosium games will remain as they are. I have no need for, or interest in a CoC 8e with the kind of rules 7thS2e has.

Toriel

Explorer
That is very good news. I backed both 7th Sea and Kithai. I know the system is not for everyone but I like it a lot. It is very action oriented and dynamic with a lot of stuff happening at the same time. You have to bend your brain in a different way and change your expectations of traditional rpgs.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases