D&D 5E D&D Products That Were Never Used By Anyone?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
While I am sure that someone out there did use it (there's always someone!) this has to have been one of the niche-iest of niche products released by TSR, ever.

Raises hand quietly

Actually, I ran a couple of sessions with the Immortals rules back when I was in Middle School. I got it for Christmas and we created some "god" characters to see how it played.

It was, in fact, pretty insane. We switched back to the high level Expert/Companion level characters they were running and said "we'll play that later when we hit level 36" (Spoilers - we never hit level 36). The later "Wrath of the Immortals" boxed set rules were a much more sane version of the same idea (and much more playable - though again I only ever ran a one-shot with them to try them out rather than getting to do a full campaign).

And yes - our group was all BECMI all the time. A few of the players might have made their characters from the PHB, but I was running the game, and I didn't truck with all of that AD&D nonsense that felt unnecessary to the game, so we mangled their characters into a form that would work with BECMI with some house rules about separating races and classes instead of having "elf" and "dwarf" be classes and moved on. (It wasn't until much, much later that I realized that a lot of other people playing AD&D played a game that was very similar to the one that we were playing because they also didn't truck with a whole lot of AD&D nonsense and house ruled their way into the same kind of simpler game that we had house ruled our way up to. Kinda funny.)

the Jester

Legend
2e Chronomancer.
I know of roughly a dozen people (myself included) who
own a copy but zero who've ever actually used any part of it.
Interesting/odd read, but really needs stuff be written to encorperate it.

I played a chronomancer! A hadozee, no less!

Since I used them under 5 times. 1E Dungeoneer and Wilderness survival guides. IF they would be one work, I would have no problem with but. MONEY GRAB!

I used them extensively.

Though we had two characters reach immortality from the Masters set (in what I’m sure was a completely fair and legal manner as can only be run in a game played by a bunch of elementary school kids), we never touched the Immortals set, and those characters were retired.

Later on, we would use both the Dungeoneer’s and Wilderness Survival Guides.

Much to my players’ chagrin, I do use the Grimtooth guides. Not so much the instant death ones, mind you.

Never owned or used the Chronomancer book. But I generally hate time travel as a plot device, so that’s no surprise.

If I had to nominate one, maybe The Great Glacier?

Though we had two characters reach immortality from the Masters set (in what I’m sure was a completely fair and legal manner as can only be run in a game played by a bunch of elementary school kids), we never touched the Immortals set, and those characters were retired.

Later on, we would use both the Dungeoneer’s and Wilderness Survival Guides.

Much to my players’ chagrin, I do use the Grimtooth guides. Not so much the instant death ones, mind you.

Never owned or used the Chronomancer book. But I generally hate time travel as a plot device, so that’s no surprise.

If I had to nominate one, maybe The Great Glacier?
I ran a game where the characters entered the Great Glacier (resulting in me using the book) from the south (from Narfell if I remember correctly).

Hussar

Legend
My 3e Oriental Adventures book is pristine. I bought it, read it, never, ever used it, nor, do I hear anyone really talking about how they did either.

Epic Level Handbook? Did anyone actually use this?

The Forest Oracle?

My 1e copy of the Conan modules. We actually did try to play one once, but, that's about as far as it got.

A significant portion of Dungeon Magazine?

My 2e copy of The Dancing Hut. Always wanted to run it, never did.

Zardnaar

Legend
My 3e Oriental Adventures book is pristine. I bought it, read it, never, ever used it, nor, do I hear anyone really talking about how they did either.

Epic Level Handbook? Did anyone actually use this?

The Forest Oracle?

My 1e copy of the Conan modules. We actually did try to play one once, but, that's about as far as it got.

A significant portion of Dungeon Magazine?

My 2e copy of The Dancing Hut. Always wanted to run it, never did.

I used the ELH several times in 3E, called it a day when a Sorcerer cast 17 spells in 1 round. Used preconstructed characters to play some Dungeon adventures.

Remove ads