A Guide to RPG Freelance Rates: Part 1 (Writing and Editing)

I’ve created this guide to help RPG creators understand the current market rates for freelancers across a range of activities. I recall how hard it was to find this information when I was starting out, so I think there is clearly a need for this sort of a guide. In this installment, I include rate information for writing and editing.

Where available, I’ve provided mainstream rates for each activity, as these give interesting context. I then share the actual rates I’ve seen in the tabletop RPG industry. Where I can, I’ve included my sources, but a lot of this information is simply gleaned through experience and word of mouth. We'll cover layout, art, and cartography in Part 2.

Writing Rates
The Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA) suggests that fiction writers should be paid between 20 and 25 cents per word. Let me tell you, there are very few markets paying 20 cents per word or more for fiction, and certainly not for genre stuff! The best fiction rate I’ve ever seen is from Harper’s Bazaar, which pays 50 cents to 1 dollar per word. A handful of other publications are in the same ballpark, but they are very much the exception.

A better benchmark might be the top science fiction and fantasy short story magazines, which pay from 8 cents to 12 cents per word. It’s worth noting that the Science Fiction Writers Association considers 6 cents and above to be a “professional” rate.

So, what do RPG freelance writers make? In my experience, the rate varies from 3 cents per word up to about 10 cents per word. At 3 cents you are probably only going to hire a talented beginner, whereas at 10 cents you can hire a seasoned writer with a strong reputation and many credits to their name. Beyond 10 cents per word, you can probably hire a well-known professional with credits on top tier games.

Some folk have queried whether any publisher is actually paying 10 cents per word. I know of several. I know that Schwalb Entertainment pays 10 cents per word while Raging Swan pays 11 cents. At the higher end, I’ve had credible (but unconfirmed) reports that a top-tier publisher has paid up to 17 cents per word. And in 2019, Matt Coleville advertised for a writer and offered 25 cents per word!

For your interest, the most I’ve ever been offered is 20 cents per word (from a generous fan). The least I’ve ever been offered is 1 cent per word. I declined both offers, though for different reasons!

Update (May 2021) I'm pleased to say that the market has moved along quite a bit in the last couple of years. It is now common for writers to be offered 10 cents/word, and many consider this the "standard minimum" for a skilled writer. I've been offered 10 cents and above in many instances. Matt Coleville still leads the pack, paying 25 cents per word to his freelancers (and sometimes more).

Profit-Sharing
Some small publishers work on a profit-sharing model. This can be great for the writer, but only if the publisher has an established market. Melsonia Games splits profits 50/50 after costs have been recovered. The writers on their recent D&D adventures have made 23 cents per word so far, and that increases as sales increase.

Kickstarter and Self-Publishing
Some writers can make very good money self-publishing and using Kickstarter. For example, Daniel Fox’s first RPG, Zweihander, was 275,200 words in length and he made 18 cents per word after all costs. In fact, I sometimes make more than 20 cents per word on my self-published titles on the DMs Guild. So yes, there is money to be made in self-publishing, but you need to develop an audience first.

Given self-publishing and Kickstarter, some creators have queried whether they should still write for an established publisher? I can think of several good reasons for doing so:
  1. It can help you build your audience.
  2. It can help you network with industry people.
  3. It allows you to just focus on the writing, rather than doing everything else required to make a publishable product.
  4. You will very likely learn things.
  5. You will work on properties that you otherwise can’t.
Daily Word Count
Now, you might be wondering how many words the average designer writes in a day. This varies enormously, of course. Veteran designer Rich Baker says that 2,000 words/day is a good rate, and that matches with my experience too.

Editing Rates
There are a couple of different types of editing, and they are charged at different rates.

Copyediting corrects spelling, grammar, usage, and punctuation, as well as checking cross-references. A good copyeditor will also prepare a style sheet for your document. According to the EFA, mainstream copyeditors charge anywhere from 2 cents per word to 10 cents per word. The variation is driven by both the experience of the editor and the amount of work the manuscript requires to make it publishable.

Developmental editing usually encompasses copyediting, but also could involve rewriting and reorganizing the text to improve it. In the RPG world, a development editor may also provide feedback on mechanics. EFA says that mainstream developmental editors charge from about 3 cents per word up to around 20 cents per word! This extremely high rate is certainly for special technical or business projects rather than fiction.

My own experience has been that editors in the RPG industry charge between 1 cent per word and 4-5 cents per word. As an example, Ray Vallese is a highly experienced professional RPG editor, and he charges 3 cents per word for copyediting and 4 cents per word for developmental editing (rates sourced from his website).

This article was contributed by M.T. Black as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. M.T. Black is a game designer and DMs Guild Adept. Please follow him on Twitter @mtblack2567 and sign up to his mailing list.

Last edited:

M.T. Black

M.T. Black

Dioltach

Legend
At the other end, if you manage to get 20¢/word, that looks like about $50/hour (or $100,000/year if you work 50 five-day weeks). That's pretty good, especially if you're doing something you love and being your own boss and working from home and so forth.

The average cost of living for a family of four is about $48,000/year. Let's say you're in a 25% tax bracket so before taxes this family would need to make $64,000/year. (Taxes are complicated but 25% should be "close enough" for this sort of estimate.) So if you are a writer and the sole provider of a family, you would want to make around 12.8¢/word. OTOH if another member of the family is taking half the burden, you only need to make 6.4¢/word, which is the "professional" rate, and smack dab in the middle of M. T. Black's 3-to-10¢/word guideline. That's not too bad, especially if you love your job etc.

That's assuming that you have enough paying work to fill 50 five-day working weeks every year. Part of the reason why freelancers earn (or at least *should* earn) a higher per-hour wage than salaried employees is to compensate for all the times when you're not earning any money. That includes days when you don't have any paying projects, but also the time you spend on admin and networking, holidays and days when you're unable to work for whatever reason (family, health, power cuts, or your pillow makes a more compelling case than your computer screen).

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
As the editor for EN5ider I should mention that we pay 3 cents a word plus rights reversion after a year (and I loooove me that rights reversion <3). Message me or email me (mike.myler.adventures|at|gmail.com) to get onto the call list!

As the editor for EN5ider I should mention that we pay 3 cents a word plus rights reversion after a year (and I loooove me that rights reversion <3).
Yes, rights is a big thing to take into account. Virtually all of the work I've seen is "work for hire". However, if you can get the rights back and there is a market for what you've written, you can take "two bites of the cherry" and self-publish, and you need to take that into account.
[MENTION=7507]mike[/MENTION], how does your rights reversion work when someone has worked on an EN World property? I'm think specifically about your ZEITGEIST campaign setting?

Mike Myler

Yes, rights is a big thing to take into account. Virtually all of the work I've seen is "work for hire". However, if you can get the rights back and there is a market for what you've written, you can take "two bites of the cherry" and self-publish, and you need to take that into account.
@mike, how does your rights reversion work when someone has worked on an EN World property? I'm think specifically about your ZEITGEIST campaign setting?

I can only speak from my experience (N.O.W., Tip of the Tongue, To Stake A Vampire) but my pre-EN5ider work was all work for hire--they (and I suspect the whole of ZEITGEIST, which is something gradually getting converted over to 5E over on the Patreon) are EN Publishing's intellectual property.

To be clear ZEITGEIST is not one of my campaign settings, and I didn't actually write any of the original content (I think that's mostly Ryan Nock and Thursty Hillman)

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Mike,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know you that ZEITGEIST is EN World IP. What I'm asking is this - say I was to write a ZEITGEIST adventure for EN5ider, what would happen to the right to that adventure after a year, given it includes EN World IP?

Mike Myler

Hi Mike,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I know you that ZEITGEIST is EN World IP. What I'm asking is this - say I was to write a ZEITGEIST adventure for EN5ider, what would happen to the right to that adventure after a year, given it includes EN World IP?

Oh golly I'm not sure. You'd have to check with Morrus but I think that all stays in-house, so to speak. At this point ZEITGEIST is in three different editions though so it's probably not going anywhere (any part of it, new additions or old bits). Maybe though! It's not my place to say. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Hi Mike,

A ZEITGEIST adventure is like writing a Forgotten Realms adventure for WotC, or a Star Wars novel -- obviously, we're not going to give you the setting IP (but then we're not commissioning new ZEITGEIST material from freelancers - there's just the core AP which we produced in-house). But a non-ZEITGEIST adventure for something like EN5ider, you retain the rights. It's not even a reversion really - you keep them from the start, but in exchange for being paid, you license us to have a year to make our money back. Then you can do what you want with it.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases