D&D 5E Best gish (PHB only)

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
In addition to only using the PHB, were using the standard array for stats (NOT point buy!).

This game will go to level 8.

Definition of a gish for this argument: someone who can decently cast some spells as well as hold their own in combat.

Esker

Hero
Here is an option a bit out of left field, insofar as it's not what people usually mean by "gish". Because you're asking for a low level range I'm prioritizing being a martial/caster hybrid right from level 1.

Variant Human Nature Cleric with War Caster as their 1st level feat

STR 13+1
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 15+1
CHA 10

There are most definitely builds that do more damage than this. And there are builds that are tankier than this. But let's look at what you get.

* You're a full caster
* You can mix up front line-ness and spells right from level 1. Paladins, eldritch knights, arcane tricksters don't get spells until later, and valor bards are just fragile casters for levels 1 and 2.
* You don't get martial weapons, but you can get shillelagh, which is strictly better than any one-handed martial weapon for a caster (and the main consideration for cleric subclass at low levels). That means at level 1 you'll have an AC of 18, you've got a 1d8+3 magic weapon with a to-hit mod as high as any martial melee character, you can Bless yourself, and you have all the war caster goodies (including the possibility of inflict wounds on an OA), plus your focus is on your shield so you have no restrictions at all on hands-full casting
* Starting at level 3, you can cast spiritual weapon, and at level 5, spirit guardians, both of which work well when you're up close
* At level 6 you have at will resistance to one source of elemental damage per round using your reaction
* At later levels you have some interesting combos like plant growth and freedom of movement over your spirit guardians
* If you play at level 8, you get to pick the damage type of your divine strike, which is helpful in avoiding enemy resistance

Anyway I make no claims that this is the "best" PHB gish for levels 1-8 by any particular definition (there's a lot of room for variation in roles even in the definition you gave). But I do think it's better at damage than the valor bard (and goes online faster), and the other gishes in the PHB aren't full casters or have to spend feats or multiclass to be comfortable up close.

A lot of possibilities actually.

I do like following variants:

Mountain dwarf wizard. Good weapons. Good armor. Str and Con and Int prioritized. Gives you a good feeling of melee and spells. Become abjurer and you won't miss a lot a fighter needs until level 5. You will be durable and able to shield your allies. At level 5 you need to work a bit for your damage, but with haste or some other bonus action activated spells you are good. Missing out on greenflame blade or booming blade hurts a bit but not a lot.

High elven fighter. Later become eldritch knight. You might prefer Dex over Str but you don't have to.
If you prefer Dex, use a bow and a rapier. Use your free hand to cast your free cantrip. A very useful cantrip is dancing lights. You can greatly increase your sight ability in darkness. Treantmonk has a good guide for that.

If you opt for a two handed weapon and strength over deterity, a nice attack cantrip help a lot.

A last useful choice might be bladeward. While it is often considered a week spell, it actually has a use for a low level fighter. If things go wrong you can use second wind and bladeward to tank some more hits.

Another oprion is variant human fighter with magic initiate feat. You can use heavy armor. High strength for a two handed or versatile weapon. Defense fighting and shield keeps you save. An attack cantrip and dancing lights will help with ranged threats.

A last option might be a forest gnome eldritch knight.
Minor illusion from the get go. Dex and int will be great stats. Your natural resistance against spells keep you save enough.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I guess my problem with EK, especially when being restricted to using the basic array for stats, is that I can never figure out how to prioritize INT enough that I’m not gimping the fighter.

I’ve played a basic array Eldritch Knight in the past, and he was awesome. But I never used an attack cantrips or anything like that.

IIRC, his INT was 8 or 10. Shield was (by far) his most used spell. I loved misty step and haste, but shield still got the most use.

I guess my problem with EK, especially when being restricted to using the basic array for stats, is that I can never figure out how to prioritize INT enough that I’m not gimping the fighter.

I’ve played a basic array Eldritch Knight in the past, and he was awesome. But I never used an attack cantrips or anything like that.

IIRC, his INT was 8 or 10. Shield was (by far) his most used spell. I loved misty step and haste, but shield still got the most use.

Its a matter of taste. Yo either need dex or int for ranged attacks.

I personally favour focus on Str/Con/Int. Yes you might be a bit slow, but you can easily go with 8 Dex and use spells for ranged attacks.
I also think that it opens up the use of a versatile weapon like the long sword.

My array would be:
Str 15+1
Dex 9
Con 13+1
Int 14
Wis 12
Cha 10

Magic initiate:
Shield
Fire bolt
Dancing lights

Chain armor
Long sword
Shield on the back

Fighting style: defense because it is always useful (and duelling with a versatile weapon sucks).

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

But part of the classic definition of a gish is that you are buffing your attacks with magic, not attacking directly with magic. So your INT shouldn't be a big deal.

All of that said, EK doesn't really come into it's own until 7th, and you're only going to 8. Wouldn't recommend for a gish experience in the 1-8 range.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Thanks for including that you're only going to level 8. That's critical for what to play.

Some options:
Fighter 1 / Wizard (Abjuration) X - good armor (go medium with shield and finesse weapon). Your spells can defend you plus charge your Ward for mroe HPs soaked.

Bard (Valor) - wish the spells lined up better. This is supposed to be gishy, but ...

Paladin X - as long as you ignore that "gish" was normally associated with arcane magic, Paladins are great gishes. And they are fun 1-8.

Paladin / Sorcerer - adding back in more arcane. Problem is PHB only is no SCAG cantrips, and that means that multiclassing and slowing (or missing) Extra Attack hurts.

Warlock (Pact of the Blade) - Ha, just put this in to see if you were still reading. Without Hexblade, Warlocks as gish just never materialized as holding their own vs. a replacement character.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Thanks for including that you're only going to level 8. That's critical for what to play.

Some options:
Fighter 1 / Wizard (Abjuration) X - good armor (go medium with shield and finesse weapon). Your spells can defend you plus charge your Ward for mroe HPs soaked.

Bard (Valor) - wish the spells lined up better. This is supposed to be gishy, but ...

Paladin X - as long as you ignore that "gish" was normally associated with arcane magic, Paladins are great gishes. And they are fun 1-8.

Paladin / Sorcerer - adding back in more arcane. Problem is PHB only is no SCAG cantrips, and that means that multiclassing and slowing (or missing) Extra Attack hurts.

Warlock (Pact of the Blade) - Ha, just put this in to see if you were still reading. Without Hexblade, Warlocks as gish just never materialized as holding their own vs. a replacement character.

Hey Blue! Miss you dude, how are things in River Edge? Give my best to the gang!

I had thought about a paladin 2/bard or sorcerer. Heck, if we have a decent amount of playing time at level 8, paladin 2/ valor bard 6 has a nice capstone!

I had also thought about the old fashioned “hexblade” that actually works: fighter 1/bladelact warlock. It’s almost as nice as the hexblade (but not quite).

I’m probably going just paladin though.

Esker

Hero
Could also consider Cleric (War or Tempest) 1 / Wizard X. Get the rapier proficiency, medium armor and shields same as starting fighter, but don't stunt your spell slots and can take Bless and Shield of Faith (obvs if there is a cleric in the party already this is less useful). You do lose out on the Fighting Style and CON saves though, which definitely hurts.

If I were switching to a full caster after Paladin 2 I don't think it'd be bard if you don't have access to college of swords. The bard spell list is fantastic but it's doesn't help your combat ability, so you'd just end up playing as a paladin with more smites. If you go draconic sorcerer you'd get the same CHA-dependence, smite slots and hit points as bard, plus shield, mirror image, misty step and haste. If you were willing to spend level 1 as just a caster instead of just a fighter you could even get CON saves.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Could also consider Cleric (War or Tempest) 1 / Wizard X. Get the rapier proficiency, medium armor and shields same as starting fighter, but don't stunt your spell slots and can take Bless and Shield of Faith (obvs if there is a cleric in the party already this is less useful). You do lose out on the Fighting Style and CON saves though, which definitely hurts.

If I were switching to a full caster after Paladin 2 I don't think it'd be bard if you don't have access to college of swords. The bard spell list is fantastic but it's doesn't help your combat ability, so you'd just end up playing as a paladin with more smites. If you go draconic sorcerer you'd get the same CHA-dependence, smite slots and hit points as bard, plus shield, mirror image, misty step and haste. If you were willing to spend level 1 as just a caster instead of just a fighter you could even get CON saves.

Thank you for this suggestion.

Only thing is you get CON saves from both sorcerer and fighter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases