Sorcadin makes a decent PHB-only gish.

VHuman Paladin X/Sorcerer 1 with stats:

STR 15+1
DEX 8 or 10
CON 14
INT 10 or 8
WIS 12
CHA 13+1

Wear Heavy Armor, and wield a two handed weapon with Great Weapon fighting style, which leaves a hand free for casting when needed. A VHuman could use a Halberd with Polearm Master, or a Greatsword with Great Weapon Master, from the start. Or, if you want something more defensive, use a one handed weapon like a Longsword plus a shield, take the Dueling or Defense fighting style, and use your VHuman feat for Warcaster.

The 1 level of Sorcerer gets you four cantrips, a few extra/higher level spell slots for casting or smiting, a couple extra 1st level spells known (like Shield for extra Tankiness in a pinch), and only delays Extra Attack and ASI by 1 level. Similar to a regular Paladin, with a bit of additional casting. The four cantrips really add to the caster flavor, especially if you go with utility cantrips and get creative.

You could also build it with a DEX-focus, with 15+1 DEX and a finessed Rapier, shield, and no armor, along with the Dueling or Defense fighting style. With Draconic bloodline for base 13 Natural Armor, plus a shield and 16 DEX, you'd have 18 AC at the start (or 19 if you take Defense fighting style). This route would open up the option to take Sorcerer at 1st level, which gets you CON saving throw proficiency for better Concentration checks on your various Paladin buffs, at the cost of your Heavy Armor proficiency (multiclassing into Paladin doesn't get you heavy armor, but that's unused with a DEX build anyway) and WIS save proficiency.

Or, if you want to be more of a caster and less melee, you could stick your highest score in Charisma and do Paladin2/SorcererX. A Half-Elf would likely be a better race for this variant.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
The only small problem I see with your idea is that you can’t take warcaster at paladin 1.

The DEX idea is cool but I don’t like the stats for it since you still need a 13 STR to multiclass paladin.

Thank you though!

RogueJK

It's not "Rouge"... That's makeup.
The only small problem I see with your idea is that you can’t take warcaster at paladin 1.

True. That was tacked on as kind of an afterthought to the 2H Sorcadin with PAM/GWM anyway.

The DEX idea is cool but I don’t like the stats for it since you still need a 13 STR to multiclass paladin.

Yeah, you'd need to do something like a Half-Elf with:
STR 12+1
DEX 15+1
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 13+2

Esker

Hero
Thank you though!

Since you've got CON save proficiency with this route already, you'd probably want to go half-elf here too, giving

STR 12 + 1
DEX 15 + 1
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 10
CHA 13 + 2

You still get your 16 in your attack stat and your 14s in CON and CHA. It also has the benefit of allowing you to take a half-feat that boosts CHA if you decide later you want to take some spells that have a save attached. I don't know that this build would be likely to have advantage often enough to benefit from elven accuracy, but you never know. Actor could also be fun if you went with a charlatan background or something.

Remove ads