Should Insight be able to determine if an NPC is lying?

Should Insight be able to determine if an NPC is lying?

• Yes

Votes: 82 84.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Votes: 4 4.1%

Satyrn

First Post
My real response is: yes, your'e right, there's no way to use Insight as a lie detector without telling the player, in some form, what their character thinks.

What about how I handle it:

When the player declares he's trying to detect if the NPC is lying,* I tell him to roll an Insight check, and that if he beats the DC he learns if the NPC is lying or not. If the player beats the DC, all I need to say is "he's lying," or"he's not lying" whichever is true.

That's not telling the player what his character thinks, is it?

*Whether this is by goal/approach method or asking to make an insight check, fill in that blank whatever way you prefer.

G

Guest 6801328

When the player declares he's trying to detect if the NPC is lying,* I tell him to roll an Insight check, and that if he beats the DC he learns if the NPC is lying or not. If the player beats the DC, all I need to say is "he's lying," or"he's not lying" whichever is true.

Well, yeah, in a subtle way it is. Because people don't actually know somebody is lying unless they uncover proof (e.g. we spy on them and hear them talking to somebody else...and even then we often only know that he is lying to one of us.)

Rather, we believe somebody is lying based on evidence. So when the you say, "He is lying" you are really saying, "You believe he is lying." You are telling them how they interpret the evidence (often without offering any evidence.) And that's telling somebody what their character thinks.

Is this the end of the world? No. And determining truth/lies is such a sticky problem in RPGs that, yeah, it's easier to just take the success on the die and say, "He is lying."

But I'd rather do it in a different way. In the same way I'd rather not have finesse weapons.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Can you give an example, because I don’t think we are disagreeing.

“The NPC has a bead of sweat running down his forehead even though it’s cold” is evidence that is left up to the player to interpret. I think that’s fine.

EDIT: To rephrase, I think the right approach is to give the player evidence to interpret, but not provide the interpretation.

You had said that you can't avoid telling a player what the character thinks if you "use Insight as a lie detector." I disagree on that point. The DM can definitely convey that an NPC is lying without saying "You think..." or "You believe..." up to and including "The NPC is lying." Though I believe you don't find that kind of directness desirable here if I recall correctly. I'm fine with it on the grounds that I need to honor the resolution of uncertainty with certainty, and that the interesting bit is not whether or not the NPC is lying with certainty but what the player chooses to do next now that he or she knows.

Oofta

Legend

*Whether this is by goal/approach method or asking to make an insight check, fill in that blank whatever way you prefer.

While I tend to say "he seems to be telling the truth", I don't think word-parsing is anything worth arguing about. I'll just let my players know at a session 0 or the first time it comes up that there's no way of guaranteeing someone is telling the truth without magic. Even then magic can be countered.

Same way I don't care if someone says "I study him closely looking for signs of deception" and "Can I use insight?" Poe-tae-toe Poe-tah-toe.

Satyrn

First Post
Well, yeah, in a subtle way it is. Because we don't actually know somebody is lying unless we uncover proof (e.g. we spy on them and hear them talking to somebody else...and even then we often only know that he is lying to one of us.)

Rather, we believe somebody is lying based on evidence. So when you say, "He is lying" you are really saying, "You believe he is lying." You are telling them how they interpret the evidence (often without offering any evidence.) And that's telling somebody what their character thinks.
I don't think that subtlety applies to the way I'm doing things. How things work on the real world is irrelevant to what I'm doing.

When I'm saying the "NPC is lying" I mean it the same way as if I had said "there's a book of poetry on the shelf." It's an objective fact that I'm telling the player.

Satyrn

First Post
.Same way I don't care if someone says "I study him closely looking for signs of deception" and "Can I use insight?" Poe-tae-toe Poe-tah-toe.

I've never had my say on this topic in this thread yet, so here goes: I hate hate hate "Can I use insight?" with the heat of a thousand [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION]s :uhoh:

But wait! It's not why you think. It's because I don't want my players asking for permission to act. I'm essentially fine with "I use insight." I still need a goal, some inkling of what the player is aiming for. So "I use insight to detect if he's lying" is cool with me.

But don't ask me for permission to act. Nike is the goddess of winged victory, so follow her motto.

Oofta

Legend
I've never had my say on this topic in this thread yet, so here goes: I hate hate hate "Can I use insight?" with the heat of a thousand [MENTION=6801204]Satyrn[/MENTION]s :uhoh:

But wait! It's not why you think. It's because I don't want my players asking for permission to act. I'm essentially fine with "I use insight." I still need a goal, some inkling of what the player is aiming for. So "I use insight to detect if he's lying" is cool with me.

But don't ask me for permission to act. Nike is the goddess of winged victory, so follow her motto.

Whereas if I ever think it's not clear I'll just ask for clarification. But like with my previous examples, I also don't give particularly clear answers because I don't look at insight as being the ability to read minds.

I can't think of any example from a real game where an i didn't know what the intent was for an insight check. Not sure what other information you would be trying to glean.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't think that subtlety applies to the way I'm doing things. How things work on the real world is irrelevant to what I'm doing.

When I'm saying the "NPC is lying" I mean it the same way as if I had said "there's a book of poetry on the shelf." It's an objective fact that I'm telling the player.

Then that's probably the right way to resolve it.

For my part, I think "Can I tell if he's lying?" is effectively mind-reading.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I like to say, "the NPC seems like he's telling the truth..." in the same tone of voice I use to say, "you don't detect any traps..."

Most players I game with immediately and instinctively know what this phrasing means: absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
The thread on NPCs and insight checks has taken on a life of its own - so I felt asking this in an new thread might work better.

Straightforward question: Should insight be able to determine if an NPC is lying?

I've also included a rather binary poll, explanations can be had in the comments.

Well I see I'm in the majority when I say yes, of course it can, as far as I know that's its primary purpose/function as a skill? The Insight of 5E is the Sense Motive of 3.5, essentially.

Remove ads