I stumbled upon an old fighter/ fiend bladelock guide. Does this really work?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
https://rpg.stackexchange.com/quest...k-for-dpr-ac-with-blade-pact-and-fiend-patron

It just seems really, really good in this guide.

I’m going to be playing in a PHB only game soon, and this is very interesting to me.

Additionally, would you add a second fighter level for action surge?

These seem to rely on Darkness + Devil's Sight. That's a concentration spell using a spell slot, may not always be available depending on short rests. It's a party-unfriendly maneuver since you allies will also be affected by darkness if within the range (or their targets are).

It looks great solo in a white room environment. How it plays at a table will vary.

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
It works without the darkness part, but if you really want to pull that trick, don’t be a dick and hinder your party. Save it for when your side is losing and needs to get away, or for when you’re alone.

You’ll probably get more mileage out of polearm master and hex, since the hex damage is added for every hit and PAM gives you a bonus 1d4+STR attack.

I love the idea of all the temporary HP you can get with this build.

Esker

Hero
So, I've been wondering about the potential party-hindering effect of magical darkness. It seems to me that, RAW, if your party members don't have a way to see through it then it's usually a wash for them: if both they and their target are inside it, both are blinded, so the advantage and disadvantage cancel. If they are inside and their target is outside, then they may even still get advantage on ranged attacks depending on whether the DM rules that magical darkness is like fog and prevents you from seeing outside of it, or whether you can still see things beyond it but they can't see you. But even if it's equivalent to fog, you're subject to both advantage and disadvantage, which cancel. And the reverse if it's the reverse.

Where it becomes a potential hindrance is if your party members would otherwise have advantage, since a single source of disadvantage removes any number of sources of advantage, or if you have caster allies that need to see to target. But the flip side also works: if they would otherwise have disadvantage, darkness removes it, and any enemy casters can't target your allies.

Then of course there's the fact that since it makes creatures inside it heavily obscured, they can hide, making their position unknown. That could cut either way. If you have a ranged rogue in the party it could allow them to pop into the darkness, hide, then pop out and attack something outside of it at advantage.

Last edited:

kreazil

First Post
For attacks it will be a wash but for spells your party won't be able to see the enemy, which will mean most spells will not be working around the darkness, that said I played a fighter 1 warlock x starting with polearm master a few years back. It worked just fine as long as you realize you are a level behind on extra attack. The magic weapon that comes with warlock was more than worth it to me, In any campaign that doesn't drop regular magic items it is a massive upgrade.

For phb only though a paladin 6/sorcerer X would still be better in almost every capacity.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases