Party face build

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
I got this concept when I was trying to build Indiana Jones, and then I realized I like spellcasting way too much to be primarily rogue.

Half elf
Archaeologist background

Level 1: rogue
8/14/14/10/13/17

Level 2: knowledge cleric

Level 3: bard

Arcana (expertise)
History (expertise)
Investigation
Nature
Religion
Perception
Survival
Deception (expertise)
Intimidation
Persuasion (expertise)

Level 6: bard (college of lore)
8/14/14/10/14/18

Sleight of hand
Stealth
Arcana (expertise)
History (expertise)
Investigation
Nature
Religion
Insight (expertise)
Perception
Survival
Deception (expertise)
Intimidation (expertise)
Persuasion (expertise)

Level 10: bump CHA to 20

Maybe throw in one level of fighter for a fighting style, or two levels of ranger for one more skill and a fighting style (and different spells). I’m not sure, but I’d probably be better off with just more bard. Heck, two levels of warlock for eldritch blast isn’t a terrible idea either (but I always had a hard time RPing that).

Last edited:

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Another option is to go light foot halfling.

This brings some luck into the picture, the stats aren’t quite as good, but it still looks like a real fun character.

The drop off is that at level 6 when the half elf would have an 18 CHA and 14 WIS, where the halfling will always have 13 WIS.

Esker

Hero
Taking the Actor feat at level 6 could be really fun, especially if you can get yourself a hat of disguise somehow. It does come at the cost of that wisdom though. As a half-elf at least you have advantage vs charm effects.

I probably wouldn't take fighter or ranger levels, especially since you already have medium armor and shields from cleric. It doesn't seem worth delaying your spell progression further, and it's not like you're going to be doing much weapon damage regardless. Two warlock levels would put you a full two spell levels behind, which seems really painful. Magic initiate warlock or sorcerer for some damage cantrips might be worth a feat to give you a better way to spend your time while concentrating on your main contribution to a fight. Though depending on how much combat you get into, you may just be able to use dissonant whispers or blindness a lot of the time by the time you have a decent number of slots.

Minsc

Explorer
This seems like a fun build if there is a lot of socializing or researching, but do you get bored in combat? It just seems like there’s very little for you to do.

Esker

Hero
This seems like a fun build if there is a lot of socializing or researching, but do you get bored in combat? It just seems like there’s very little for you to do.

I dunno, you've got as much to do as any bard, don't you? Throw around some support magic and bardic inspiration, mainly. Actually I take back what I said above about magic initiate; just take eldritch blast using magical secrets. I don't see any reason to make other dedicated investments in doing damage better when you can be such an effective supporter in combat as a lore bard.

Esker

Hero
I dunno, you've got as much to do as any bard, don't you? Throw around some support magic and bardic inspiration, mainly. Actually I take back what I said above about magic initiate; just take eldritch blast using magical secrets. I don't see any reason to make other dedicated investments in doing damage better when you can be such an effective supporter in combat as a lore bard.

Level 1: Pick up a light crossbow or dual wield shortswords; sneak attack
Level 2: Cast Bless, then either see level 1, or don a shield and wield a rapier / toll the dead / sacred flame
Levels 3-6: Cast Bless or a nice bard spell, throw around some inspiration, and do one of the above
Level 7: Hypnotic Pattern! Lots more bardic inspiration! Etc.
Level 8: Now you can get eldritch blast as use that as your main action after the first round
Level 9: Polymorph!
Level 10: Better Spell DC! Maybe Greater Invisibility a rogue or fighter!
Level 11: Animate Objects! A third blast! For two fights a day you can do more damage than anybody
Level 12: Magical Secrets! Maybe you want telekinesis as one of your picks? Or get a pegasus and fly around maintaing your concentration and raining down eldritch blasts
Level 13: Mass Suggestion! Useful in or out of combat
Level 14: Alert feat! Now you get your big spell in before the enemy knows what hit them. Or, take Prodigy and get yet another skill expertise.
Level 15: Forcecage!

In summary, you're not hurting for stuff to do in combat. Levels 2-6 or so you're spread a little thin, admittedly, but you can have plenty of variety.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases