Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi argument

hawkeyefan

Legend
All anyone has to do to know if the new movies are good is bring a 4 year old.

If the kid leaves excited, jumping around and swinging an imaginary lightsaber, then the movie’s good.

It’s the same as it was for the original ones. It’s the only metric that should really matter.

Zardnaar

Legend
All anyone has to do to know if the new movies are good is bring a 4 year old.

If the kid leaves excited, jumping around and swinging an imaginary lightsaber, then the movie’s good.

It’s the same as it was for the original ones. It’s the only metric that should really matter.

Disney likes their money. Also not hard to please a 4 year old.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Disney likes their money. Also not hard to please a 4 year old.

Right. It’s impossible to please fans who are much older and who don’t even agree on what they want, but expect the movies to be written for them.

Disney is far better off focusing on winning new fans who don’t come into it with decades of expectation. People who will accept a movie for what it is rather that what it “should be”.

Sadly, such a view often seems to elude adults.

Zardnaar

Legend
Right. It’s impossible to please fans who are much older and who don’t even agree on what they want, but expect the movies to be written for them.

Disney is far better off focusing on winning new fans who don’t come into it with decades of expectation. People who will accept a movie for what it is rather that what it “should be”.

Sadly, such a view often seems to elude adults.

To many franchises assume they can get new fans and old ones don't matter.

Who buys the toys and merch and guess what's not selling? They already have the casuals it's Star Wars they'll turn up for anything (except Solo).

Star Wars is alive because of the hardcore. They are the 80s and 90 kids who grew up and bought the early EU merch, Star Wars was dead. If you annoy them bad enough they won't buy your stuff and they have kids now as well. Niece's and nephews in my case.

The trailer was decent and raises a few questions which will be answered if you go and watch.

GreyLord

Legend
[MENTION=6716779]Zardnaar[/MENTION] feel free to start more Star Wars threads, but I’m not interested in arguing with diatribes about how terrible you think TLJ is.

Most polls and twitter threads and such I’ve seen show more people putting LTJ in their top 3 than at the bottom and the only metric by which it “underperformed” is “compared to TFA”. By every other possible metric it hit it out of the park.

And no, they don’t have to give in to fans. Fans don’t own franchises.

Most of what I've seen in the past half a year is that hype for Star Wars has gone more to a meh level.

People are just not excited about Star Wars in general.

There are the Hardcore Star Wars lovers...and then everyone else.

the Hardcore Star Wars lovers seem to be enthralled...but everyone else...simply does not care anymore.

There's nothing left to care about.

With 4 year olds...it's not the 4 year olds...it's anyone who buys toys...and unfortunately the toy market (and probably the rest, but I just have a little idea on the toy market) is down right now in regards to Star Wars. Disney killed it in that arena. Luckily...Marvel is popping and makes up for it.

Still...if you WANT a good metric...it's not the 4 year olds...look to see how something did in China.

Star Wars is sunk in China right now...and that's at least 1/4 if not 1/3 of the money already lost.

Want excitement...see how to make it succeed in China. That can turn a movie that is just meh in the US to actually making a profit worldwide.

Let's see how the excitement gets in China over this. Toy releases can also predict popularity. There should be some idea of how it might do with sales in November. If Star Wars Toy Sales appear to be doing great, that could be a good prediction of it doing well. If it seems like the toys just aren't moving...that would probably be a bad sign.

It could do well, it could do poorly. I don't know. I think that something needs to be done to get people out of the 'meh' they feel now towards Star Wars or it's going to be a more meh type of showing at the theater. The hype train has just begun for episode IX.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm starting to get the sense that Zardnaar didn't like The Last Jedi. Just a hunch, though.

"I sense a great disturbance in the force, someone made a crap Star Wars movie".

TLJ is alright as a popcorn flick movie, as a Star Wars movie its bad, doesn't pay any respect to the previous movies (including TFA) and doesn't make much sense in a lot of places.

Zardnaar

Legend
Most of what I've seen in the past half a year is that hype for Star Wars has gone more to a meh level.

People are just not excited about Star Wars in general.

There are the Hardcore Star Wars lovers...and then everyone else.

the Hardcore Star Wars lovers seem to be enthralled...but everyone else...simply does not care anymore.

There's nothing left to care about.

With 4 year olds...it's not the 4 year olds...it's anyone who buys toys...and unfortunately the toy market (and probably the rest, but I just have a little idea on the toy market) is down right now in regards to Star Wars. Disney killed it in that arena. Luckily...Marvel is popping and makes up for it.

Still...if you WANT a good metric...it's not the 4 year olds...look to see how something did in China.

Star Wars is sunk in China right now...and that's at least 1/4 if not 1/3 of the money already lost.

Want excitement...see how to make it succeed in China. That can turn a movie that is just meh in the US to actually making a profit worldwide.

Let's see how the excitement gets in China over this. Toy releases can also predict popularity. There should be some idea of how it might do with sales in November. If Star Wars Toy Sales appear to be doing great, that could be a good prediction of it doing well. If it seems like the toys just aren't moving...that would probably be a bad sign.

It could do well, it could do poorly. I don't know. I think that something needs to be done to get people out of the 'meh' they feel now towards Star Wars or it's going to be a more meh type of showing at the theater. The hype train has just begun for episode IX.

The hype was there (TFA), but I suppose killing of characters people cared about, replacing them with a selection that no one cares about that much (Rey is the best of the lot), 4 movies in 2.5 years (Dec 2015-May 2018) of which one was meh and one has annoyed a good chunk of the fanbase and yeah.

Ladies and gentleman, Disney!

Kaodi

Hero
Targetting the Chinese audience is not a silver bullet strategy for being "good" : look at Pacific Rim: Uprising. I enjoyed watching that film okay, but ultimately I decided it was not worth the time to watch it again. Whereas I have seen the original three times.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases