WOIN O.L.D. v1.2 Playtest Version B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

Prodigal Member
Chapter II: Ogres and orcs are goblinoid but goblins are not??
(p. 24, 27, 29 in draft06)

Last edited:

Len

Prodigal Member
Is Leadership supposed to be a skill or an exploit or both? In 1.1 it was a skill, but in this draft it's referred to as a skill and an exploit in different places.

(I'm making a summary of 1.2 rules changes for my co-players as we prep for an upcoming campaign. That's why I'm noticing these things.)

Steven Barker

First Post
  • The Battle Mage's Artillery exploit only mentions a "vital attack". Is that MAG-based? Is evoke the right skill to add to the attack roll?
  • The Druid's Elemental Druid exploit only mentions a "ranged attack". Is that MAG- or DEX-based? Is evoke the right skill to add to the attack roll? Or should you rather add throwing? Or nature?
  • The Fire Mage's Firebolt exploit attack requires a "ranged attack (using your MAG attribute)". Is evoke the right skill to add to the attack roll?
  • The Ice Mage's Freezing Breath exploit gives you a cone-shaped ranged MAG attack. Is evoke the right skill to add to the attack roll?
  • The description of the Illusionist's Illusory Attack does not mention whether it is MAG- or CHA-based or whatever, nor does it mention whether it would be better to add illude or bluffing, nor what the range is supposed to be. Can you target anything in your line of sight? Or is the range just 30'?

I'm pretty sure it's a deliberate choice to leave what skills apply to attack rolls unstated. That's how WOIN normally does things, it just says to use an attribute and lets the GM and players discuss what skill pool can be added. There may be more than one that make sense!

It probably is an error though that Artillery, Elemental Druid and Illusory Attack don't specify an attribute.

Is Leadership supposed to be a skill or an exploit or both? In 1.1 it was a skill, but in this draft it's referred to as a skill and an exploit in different places.

It's both. The leadership skill is usable for mental defense, but doesn't have any other special rules. You can probably add it to some attribute checks, just like any other skill, but the GM and players need to agree that it applies. The Leadership exploit is unrelated, except by having the same name. The exploit text say how it works (the character with the exploit can donate their luck dice to other characters).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
While that is a deliberate choice, I think I’ll just make the decision for people and put the skill in there, as so many people keep asking. I prefer leaving it open ended, but it seems I’m alone in that!

Len

Prodigal Member
Got it. I guess some of us aren't used to thinking of skills as an open-ended list.

easl

Explorer
While that is a deliberate choice, I think I’ll just make the decision for people and put the skill in there, as so many people keep asking. I prefer leaving it open ended, but it seems I’m alone in that!

I think suggesting 'evocation plus [one or two relevant non-magical skills specified by Morrus]' is a good compromise. It provides flexibility for groups or character concepts that don't want to use the full spell build system and would prefer to stick to career exploits, while providing good guidance on acceptable skills for GMs and players who like their systems crunchy and specific. But in that case, be sure to let the magical careers take the non-magical skill needed to use their exploit. :)

Len

Prodigal Member
Chapter V, "Transform": The cost for "animate" is inconsistent:
Animate. Cost 2 MP per die. [...] The cost is 1 MP for each die in the creature’s maximum dice pool.
(p. 200 in draft06)

Last edited:

Egonz88

Villager
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time joiner. I love the WOIN system and thought I’d help with proofreading. O.L.D. Page 129 - Lifting a heavy rock LOG carrying (example tasks bar, lifting is tied to Logic)

Page 145 - the last sentence of the first paragraph has a reference to laser pistols: “For example, a character might move and then fire his laser pistol, or vice versa.“

Also,
O.L.D. Page 132 - “critical success pushes the target one stage down a status track“ (last paragraph under Critical Successes)

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Villager
In the monster creation rules it references Chi. Should this be MAG instead?
Also in the monster creation rules there are a few Types missing, most notably the demon and Undead types even though a few Undead show up in the opponents section.

Egonz88

Villager
Page 152 - Conditions: the first paragraph mentions status tracks. I’m not sure if that’s language for the old critical conditions system. “Conditions can be brought about by spells, diseases, environmental effects, and more, and are measured on status tracks.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases