Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer

Zardnaar

Legend
"Every generation has a legend"? I'm pretty sure they used that for The Phantom Menace trailer all those years ago.

Let me guess, the emperor is actually Anakin's father. The story was always his story. The emperor is the one who brings balance to the force? I might be only half joking here.

Comic confirmed that Palps is Vader's father of sorts via force manipulation.

Wonder if they will rehash Dark Empire. The Eclipse exists in the new canon so Palpatine in a clone body or dark side spirit?

One movie they can't really develop a new villain so they recycled Palpatine. Kinda had to since Darth Emo is ineffective.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Loved the Lando sighting. I had heard that each of the movies were also going to be wrapping up an arc of a character from the original trilogy - Han, Luke, then Leia. (That's what I think the whole training of Poe to be more than a hot shot pilot was in TLJ.) Carrie Fisher's untimely and saddening death may have caused a rejiggering of that, and having Lando show up as their legacy character may help complete that.

Oh, and enjoy this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFqtwlTXTPY&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2tK0Q2VBlbAs19Vtkwma5bbKKL1YSEadomicH66JKSbRDpwvEtTaJKdjI

Kaodi

Hero
I kind of wonder if Palpatine created Anakin to act as some sort of vessel in case he died, and that is also part of why he turned him into Vader, because he needs a dark side vessel. That potential is passed on through the Skywalker line, so Snoke corrupts Ben Solo into Kylo Ren to be a new vessel for Palpatine. But the Force, being a things of its own, has a play as well: the spirit of Anakin Skywalker is given a vessel/champion too in the form of Rey. That explains how she is both a nobody and yet intimately connected to the lightsaber: she is a vessel though not a true reincarnation. The final battle will have two aspects, just like the prequel trilogy, but it will be partly metaphysical: Rey vs Ren, and Skywalker vs Palpatine. In this way Rey becomes "the Skywalker" and Ren "the Emperor/Sith" in new version of the dichotomy between the Daughter and the Son. Or something like that.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I like the trailer a lot!

My guess is that Rey will take the name Skywalker in honor of Luke, but we’ll see. I liked Last Jedi a lot, and I liked the idea of Rey having no pre-existing connection to the mythos.

But I also have no problem with them revealing that there is a connection, as long as they have an interesting way to do that. The emperor laughing at the end as they look on the ruins of the Death Star makes it seem like he’s been behind all of it...and if that’s the case, then Rey having some kind of connection would make sense.

But we’ll see. I try not to go into these movies with strong expectations on the content because I think it’s pretty obvious that’s what ruins the fun for everyone.

Look, clearly Palpatine survived the fall into the reactor, and then survived the Death Star explosion, and then survived the fall into Endor's gravity well, and has just been chilling out waiting for somebody to come pick him up.

Look, clearly Palpatine survived the fall into the reactor, and then survived the Death Star explosion, and then survived the fall into Endor's gravity well, and has just been chilling out waiting for somebody to come pick him up.

I think he was obviously doing nothing there. "Damn, this Sith thing is totally not working. I got almost killed by my pupil, and my beautiful Peace Moon lies in ruins.
I think it's probably best if the Sith die out and we forget this whole nonsense. It will never work."
And for a few decades, he was just fine walking through the debris, occasionally scaring a random Ewok that dared to venture into the wreck.
One day, when Palpatine is just watching across the Superlaser into the forest, some guy appears behind him. Palpatine turns around. It's Kylo Ren (well, he doesn't know that, because he has closed himself from the force, but the audience knows), holding out Darth Vader's old helmet, as if it was some kind of gift. Palpatine takes it, and throws it behind him. "What's with that old garbage? Thirsty for some Ewok Tears? I sure am. Follow me!"

Remove ads