Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker Trailer - Page 6
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 136
  1. #51
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,370
    I always thought the name of the moon was Endor, not the name of the planet. I don't know that the planet was ever named in the movie. I think maybe in one of the novels or comics, but those no longer count.

    I don't see why it couldn't have an ocean, other than that it breaks from traditional Star Wars tropes of each planet being primarily one type of environment....a desert planet, a city planet, an ice planet, and so on. Obviously, the single environment planets are silly when you give it any thought, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. If it's not the moon of Endor, then I don't see why a large chunk of the Death Star couldn't have been propelled from the explosion and wound up landing on another system.

    But I think that it's definitely the Death Star wreckage; the location of Palpatine's death, combined with his laughter as voice over, with Luke saying "no one's ever really gone....." makes it a pretty sure thing to me.

  2. #52
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The Land of Cheese
    Posts
    812
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I always thought the name of the moon was Endor, not the name of the planet. I don't know that the planet was ever named in the movie. I think maybe in one of the novels or comics, but those no longer count.

    I don't see why it couldn't have an ocean, other than that it breaks from traditional Star Wars tropes of each planet being primarily one type of environment....a desert planet, a city planet, an ice planet, and so on. Obviously, the single environment planets are silly when you give it any thought, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle that. If it's not the moon of Endor, then I don't see why a large chunk of the Death Star couldn't have been propelled from the explosion and wound up landing on another system.

    But I think that it's definitely the Death Star wreckage; the location of Palpatine's death, combined with his laughter as voice over, with Luke saying "no one's ever really gone....." makes it a pretty sure thing to me.
    Endor is a forested moon in the Star Wars universe. The moon was the site of a pivotal battle depicted in Return of the Jedi.

    In a Star Wars Tales comic entitled Apocalypse Endor, an Imperial veteran of Endor refers to the moon being devastated by the impact of falling debris from the Death Star, which was blown up while in orbit around the moon. However, another character dismisses this as a myth, saying that most of the Death Star's mass was obliterated in the explosion, and that the Rebels "took care of the rest."


    There also seems to be some debate on what happened to the planet Endor orbited. Like that it disappeared or was destroyed or is called Tana, or is maybe a gas giant.
    XP hawkeyefan gave XP for this post

  3. #53
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    MarkB's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyLord View Post
    On the Death Star item, it seems everyone is saying it is the Death Star, but seems quite small to me. Curvature on the size of the Death Star Would be several times on the order of that...but then...who pays attention to the size of things in the OT anymore?

    If it was a piece of it (but not the outer portion), why does it have a triangular backside?
    I've gone back and looked, and I can't see a triangular anything, nor any back side to it - we only see it from the front.

    It's tough to judge scale, but it's pretty far away, practically on the horizon across a large gap of water. It doesn't appear egregiously mis-scaled.

    Still, it would be interesting if it landed on ENDOR rather than it's moon. Does the moon even have oceans?
    A piece of the Death Star that large, falling from orbit, is going to create a massive crater. Massive crater plus a couple of decades of rainfall will get you a decent sized sea, on either Endor or Yavin IV.

  4. #54
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Mercurius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The center and periphery
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    A piece of the Death Star that large, falling from orbit, is going to create a massive crater. Massive crater plus a couple of decades of rainfall will get you a decent sized sea, on either Endor or Yavin IV.
    Except for the fact that the Death Star would have been completely pulverized on impact, leaving virtually no trace of it - let alone a rather intact chunk, like we see in the trailer.

    I'm not disagreeing with the possibility of a sea existing, mind you, or even taking issue with the chunk of Death Star existing. It just seems silly to provide scientific, logical rationale for something (the existence of the sea) in an already inherently improbable scenario (the chunk of Death Star remaining intact).

    Star Wars is, in the end, at least as much fantasy as it is science fiction. This isn't Star Trek.

  5. #55
    Pathfinder subscriber COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    billd91's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Verona, WI
    Posts
    10,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Star Wars is, in the end, at least as much fantasy as it is science fiction. This isn't Star Trek.
    Star Trek isnt exactly a gold standard of hard sci fi either (particularly with JJ Abramss fanciful sense of time and space). They just set their style dials slightly differently. Both franchises put the needs of the plot, style, and cool visuals before science.
    XP MarkB gave XP for this post

  6. #56
    Member
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

    Mercurius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The center and periphery
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by billd91 View Post
    Star Trek isnt exactly a gold standard of hard sci fi either (particularly with JJ Abramss fanciful sense of time and space). They just set their style dials slightly differently. Both franchises put the needs of the plot, style, and cool visuals before science.
    I hear what you're saying, but it is a matter of degree. Relative to Star Wars, Trek is harder science fiction, and far more rationalized, especially Next Gen in which each episode seemed to be the fictionalization of some aspect of theoretical physics. The reason why so many were pissed at the whole midichlorian explanation is that it turned the Force from a mystical (and magical) energy to something physical and scientific. You don't need to rationalize or explain the fantastic - it just needs to make sense within the context of the world. But SF has to make sense sense within our own laws of physics. In that sense, Trek is far more "pure" scifi than SW.

  7. #57
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    2,221
    Am I alone in thinking that this trailer wasn't very exciting? There weren't a whole lot of surprises in it. Almost everyone expected Lando to return, and the emperor has returned before in expanded universe stuff. I hate to say it, but I didn't get hyped as much as when I saw the trailers of the previous two movies. It was a bit meh.

  8. #58
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    5,868
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaculata View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that this trailer wasn't very exciting? There weren't a whole lot of surprises in it. Almost everyone expected Lando to return, and the emperor has returned before in expanded universe stuff. I hate to say it, but I didn't get hyped as much as when I saw the trailers of the previous two movies. It was a bit meh.
    Good but not mind blowing. Does make me want to see episode IX though, the quality will determine how often.

  9. #59
    In the fiction Darth Plagueis was of the belief he had conquered Death and was more or less celebrating the fact when Darth Sideous poisoned him. Snoke (awful terrible dreadful name) could have been Darth Plagueis reincarnated, and his death in The Last Jedi (shocking film) could have been some crazy sith test of layalty - having been killed by his apprentice previously and all that.

    There is also the possibility (from the fiction) that Darth Sideous had conquered time and space, which he believed was they way to defeat death. He may have been able to manipulate the dark side to move him to a different time peiod, and be back and bad.

    Rey could be another "Anakin" style child, or perhaps clone of Luke Skywalker - perhaps from his lost hand, which is why she has memories and the connection to Luke Skywalker.

    In any case it can't be worse than TLJ which really lost it's way.

  10. #60
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

    Morrus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Intrawebs
    Posts
    40,620
    Keep TLJ arguments to their own thread, please. We are *not* going to hijack every thread into TLJ diatribes.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi argument
    By Morrus in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: Sunday, 21st April, 2019, 07:41 PM
  2. [Trailer] Star Wars: The Clone Wars
    By Krug in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Wednesday, 21st May, 2008, 08:53 PM
  3. [Star Wars DVD] Luke Skywalker with a mustache?
    By andargor in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Thursday, 7th October, 2004, 05:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •