Anyone else finding their TTRPG spending going down for lack of interest/need?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I got back into TTRPGs with D&D 5e, and over the past few years have spent a lot of money on WotC, Kobold Press, Goodman Games, Frog God Games, and a variety of kickstarters. I've also bought a number of non-D&D systems, mostly from Kickstarter.

But now I find myself scrolling through the crowdfunding roll-up posts here on ENWorld and not even bothering to click through to anything.

At this point I find I have more content than I can play through in the next few years. There really is nothing more that I need ("need" not really being the right word for a hobby, but there was a lot of stuff I felt I "needed" in the past and now my RPG needs are fulfilled).

Anyone else in this boat? If so, what are you still spending money on?

For myself, my money is going to subscriptions, but mostly to related entertainment (rather than gaming material).

1. Subscriptions

I subscribe to D&D Beyond and don't see that changing.

I subscribe to ENWorld's EN5ider because I like some of the short fluff pieces that are easy to integrate into my ongoing campaign. I don't use the crunchy stuff for the most part put some have giving me ideas that I have integrated into my games.

2. New WotC Books

I don't need them, but still buy them when they come out because I enjoy reading through them. But I don't know when I'll ever play the adventures I already have. The forthcoming seafaring rules might find some use, but my current campaign is unlikely to need them and I have a set of third-party rules I really like. At this point, buying the expensive WotC books is starting to feel more like knee-jerk completionist purchasing. Yet, unless there is a book I really don't like the look of, I'll probably continue buying at least the crunchy book. So far I've only skipped adventures.

3. Digital Forms of Existing Content

I'll buy DnD Beyond versions of crunch books. I generally don't buy the adventure content on DnD Beyond but like that I can purchase character options from those books piecemeal. Lone Wolf Development finally released their Content Market and bought a bunch of content from that because it is helpful to have it in RealmWorks. Currently I'm running a campaign in the Lost Lands, however, which they'll not support. Kobold Press's Midgard setting is available, which is tempting me to switch settings after I'm done running my current Rappan Athuk campaign. Lost Lands will be available in World Anvil, but it is easier to switch campaign settings than platforms, especially since World Anvil doesn't have many of the features that I like in RealmWorks.

I expect spend on this to go down as I have most of what I need in digital format.

4. Movies, TV, and Books ABOUT the hobby

More of my money is going to books and video about or inspired by gaming. Example include the Art & Arcana book, kickstarted documentaries (Eye of the Beholder: The Art of Dungeons and Dragons, The Dreams in Gary’s Basement: A Documentary on Gary Gygax, SECRETS of BLACKMOOR: The True History of Dungeons & Dragons), the Critical Role cartoon, etc. I expect this to go down unless the success of Critical Role's kickstarter leads to a lot of copycats or if Netflix or someone runs with the idea (they already have Disenchantment and Dragon Prince, so not sure how many more show in that Genre they can profitably support). On the other hand, while I've tired of superhero films and show and have drastically decrease spending my time and money on them, there are a lot of great fantasy shows coming out. With the final season of Game of Thrones, the forthcoming Amazon Lord of the Rings series, a movie and ShowTime series based on Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles, and more, I expect I'll be spending a good chunk of change on mainstream fantasy video content for some time to come.

I would like to save up and go to some out-of-state conventions, but I don't really have the time and the time and money I do have for vacations tends to go on non-gaming family trips.

Anyone else in the same boat? Where are you spending your hobby money?

pogre

Legend
I go through cycles of spending and not spending money on the hobby. Typically, while my campaign is rolling as it presently is, most of my money goes towards play aids and miniatures for upcoming foes and monsters. When a campaign ends I can go through lengthy periods of time not spending a dime. Then, something will catch my eye, I'll spend money on adventures, rules, etc and ramp up another campaign.

I am about halfway through Dungeon of the Mad Mage and I am finishing up the last few remaining monsters I need. When the campaign ends in a few months I'll see if I jump into another campaign or take another break.

Dwarven Forge Kickstarters are my weak spot. I usually drop a ton of cash on those no matter where I am at in my cycle.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I buy miniatures but unless I switch to a new edition I don't see any new book purchases on the horizon. Maybe more adventures down the line once they are finally defeated by Rappan Athuck but even then I'll probably run some classic D&D stuff.

Swords and Wizardry core + Tome of Horrors is a pretty complete game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
...once they are finally defeated by Rappan Athuck...

If you are running Rappan Athuk, the party should be defeated multiple times. You must be talking about the player's finally being defeated and begging you for a new adventure location.

:)

My group is only in the first level of the Mouth of Doom. "This is much easier than I was expecting" said one player.

Boy are they in for a rude awakening when they get to the Dungeon proper.

My obituary list is looking to get filled.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm big on accessories and things to make my game better. I'm currently collecting all of Paizo's flip-mats (they are SO useful!) and I bought Art & Arcana.

If I spend money on Kickstarter, it's usually something really cool that's caught my eye. I don't buy much digital -- I'm very fond of physical stuff.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
If you are running Rappan Athuk, the party should be defeated multiple times. You must be talking about the player's finally being defeated and begging you for a new adventure location.

:)

My group is only in the first level of the Mouth of Doom. "This is much easier than I was expecting" said one player.

Boy are they in for a rude awakening when they get to the Dungeon proper.

My obituary list is looking to get filled.

Yeah, they went in though the main entrance first. Well that party died via TPK later on, after a few early deaths. But they did it out in the graveyard outside via a bunch of ghouls. The new party went in via the mouth of doom. They are mostly done with level 2 at this point with only 3-4 deaths. :lol:

If they do throw in the towel and demand less perilous adventure it wouldn't be the first time. I ran this under 3.5 10 years or so ago and they were soundly whipped by level 3 of the dungeon proper and the campaign ended. With all the save or die in S&W its even more deadly the second time around.

I still hope to get a TPK via stirge. :]

Anyone else in the same boat? Where are you spending your hobby money?

Sometimes I wish I were in your boat! I have always been an RPG omnivore. I usually play a single system (D&D for my first 10-15 years, GURPS and variants for the remaining decades), but I love reading just about anything for any system and genre. My players would crack up if they knew where the inspirations for their fantasy adventures come from; I recall basing a tomb layout on the deck plan of a Traveller starship. If I go to a game store, I have a hard time not blowing my budget completely. As a result, I try to limit myself to the monthly Steve Jackson Games releases (which are reasonably priced) and another supplement per month. For the expensive D&D adventure hardbacks, I limit myself to one or two per year.

I am eagerly looking forward to Saltmarsh because that was one of my favorite AD&D adventures. I've modified it and used it in every edition thus far, and run a GURPS version for the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game. It will be fun to see how they update this classic.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Anyone else in this boat? If so, what are you still spending money on?

Yes, I slacked off a couple of years ago after buying most everything for Mongoose Traveller 1e, after that and some other issues, I decided not to buy any 2e stuff from them. I am pretty flush with gaming, so I only have time to buy or read what seems relevant to be used in gaming. I have bought Mythras titles from The Design Mechanism, M-Space by Frostbyte, and various Cepheus Engine titles. I do keep an eye out, for settings in different systems that I can port in pieces to my own.

I am in a similar boat… Last year my awesome collection of RPG books was mostly lost due to a terrible flood and it would take years and tons of money to build it back. After that heartbreak I have become much more selective and these days it is hard for me to find products that really catch my attention.

During the first years of 5e I did but most of what was published but I stopped at SKT. I don’t feel attracted to what WoTC is publishing currently. I don’t think I´ll ever be able to run so long adventures and none of my players are so invested in the game as for needing many more options (races, classes, backgrounds, etc.).

I have bought a few books from LotFP and the only kickstarter I have backed is for Nahual.

It makes me very happy to see that these days there are many more publications but between my recent loss, the lack of time to play, and the few players I have available now I only buy books that I foresee that I can really use, or that are so amazing that justifies the purchase.

The positive side is that I am saving that money, but I would be glad to pay it if I could feel the joy I used to get before:(.

aramis erak

Legend
The overwhelming dross of the d20 bubble really curbed me of a lot of spending.

I'm loathe to buy unless I love the franchise already, or really trust the designer. Or can skim it before buying.

Still, I spend a good bit... but not as freely nor as sight unseen as in the 90's.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases