The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D!

It's not just the New York Times writing about D&D. The Washington Post is weighing in too!

Name:  wp.jpg
Views: 22772
Size:  154.5 KB

D&D has been featuring in mainstream media for a while. The BBC wrote about it last year, and sites like Forbes, and even Popular Mechanics, have articles about the game.
    XP 77IM gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

I have to wonder how long this wave is going to last?! Is it going to become a regular cultural pastime? I cant see why it wouldnt, its an easy way to have fun with friends. But it also seems amazing that it could.
    XP 77IM gave XP for this post

RPGs will be more popular because we are enough used to videogames, and lots of geeks love to create their own "fanart", and this is the key of the RPGs, about creating your own world, characters and stories. It isn't passive like reading a comic or watching a movie, but making choices, nobody knows what it will happen, learning to failure and to risk, to find a solution by means of social skills, to find the right balance between self-criticism and faith in oneself.
    XP robus, MNblockhead, chrisshorb gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)
    XP Flexor the Mighty! gave XP for this post

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Laprade View Post
    Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)
    Did you even read the article (and see the pictures of normal folks playing)? Did you read the caption for the photo where they are a D&D group that enjoys dressing up?
    Laugh cbwjm laughed with this post

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Laprade View Post
    Honestly that is the first thing I thought. I have had friends assume we dress up and put on elf ears when playing D&D since it seems they see that a lot when they come across some random article or picture of D&D players.

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by zedturtle View Post
    Did you even read the article (and see the pictures of normal folks playing)? Did you read the caption for the photo where they are a D&D group that enjoys dressing up?
    So ... LARPing and dressing up was always that "bridge too far" for me. Kinda like the whole, "You've gone too far" brigade.

Which is hypocritical as heck, because, well, it's not cool for one geek to say, "Hey, I'm cool playing D&D and debating Picard v. Kirk, but RenFaire? NERDS!"

But with anime and videogames and whatnot, the whole Cosplay thing is pretty huge now. It's seriously mainstream, well, fairly mainstream.

So ... joke's on me? "No thanks, I don't dress up, I just roll dice and play my archaic TTRPG."
    XP Lidgar, Parmandur, 77IM, MNblockhead, schneeland gave XP for this post

Dusty Dragon
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

I wonder if the BBC had something...

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Moms basement." line in almost every one of these articles.
    XP Celebrim, Flexor the Mighty!, chrisshorb gave XP for this post

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    So ... LARPing and dressing up was always that "bridge too far" for me. Kinda like the whole, "You've gone too far" brigade.

Which is hypocritical as heck, because, well, it's not cool for one geek to say, "Hey, I'm cool playing D&D and debating Picard v. Kirk, but RenFaire? NERDS!"

But with anime and videogames and whatnot, the whole Cosplay thing is pretty huge now. It's seriously mainstream, well, fairly mainstream.

So ... joke's on me? "No thanks, I don't dress up, I just roll dice and play my archaic TTRPG."
    "I use an eastern European accent for my dwarves, not Scottish, so no I'm not a geek."
    Laugh lowkey13, MNblockhead, Lidgar, BookBarbarian laughed with this post