The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D!

It's not just the New York Times writing about D&D. The Washington Post is weighing in too!

wp.jpg

D&D has been featuring in mainstream media for a while. The BBC wrote about it last year, and sites like Forbes, and even Popular Mechanics, have articles about the game.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Honestly that is the first thing I thought. I have had friends assume we dress up and put on elf ears when playing D&D since it seems they see that a lot when they come across some random article or picture of D&D players.

As someone in their mid-40s who started playing TTRPGs in the mid-80s, I have to admit to similar knee-jerk reactions. But I quickly realized that many of us have become the bullies. Some people like to dress up for their games. Who cares? Cosplay has become an impressive hobby. What does it say about us that we worry that how others enjoy the game will make us look silly? It is decades of ridicule and bullying that many in our hobby experienced that, thankfully, is far less prevalent today, which allows folks to enjoy and express themselves openly in ways we could not.

Other than the crappy employment opportunities, I'd love to be in my teens and 20s today.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Mom’s basement." line in almost every one of these articles.

Yeah, it caters to outdated stereotypes that were not particularly true "back in the day." To me, it seems more true of the 90s than the 80s. In the 80s it was played in schools, libraries, and was depicted in mainstream films like ET as no different than any other family game played at the kitchen table.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Was WotC responsible for taking away penalties to Strength for female characters? That’s not my recollection.

Birmy

Adventurer
Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Mom’s basement." line in almost every one of these articles.

Yup! As a comic book geek, our equivalent is the (mercifully declining) "POW! WHAM! BIFF! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!" line. Writers trying to "write their way in" to an article fall for it every time.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
As someone in their mid-40s who started playing TTRPGs in the mid-80s, I have to admit to similar knee-jerk reactions. But I quickly realized that many of us have become the bullies. Some people like to dress up for their games. Who cares? Cosplay has become an impressive hobby. What does it say about us that we worry that how others enjoy the game will make us look silly? It is decades of ridicule and bullying that many in our hobby experienced that, thankfully, is far less prevalent today, which allows folks to enjoy and express themselves openly in ways we could not.

Other than the crappy employment opportunities, I'd love to be in my teens and 20s today.

Never said I was worried about anything.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases