The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D!

It's not just the New York Times writing about D&D. The Washington Post is weighing in too!

wp.jpg

D&D has been featuring in mainstream media for a while. The BBC wrote about it last year, and sites like Forbes, and even Popular Mechanics, have articles about the game.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I have to wonder how long this wave is going to last?! Is it going to become a regular cultural pastime? I can’t see why it wouldn’t, it’s an easy way to have fun with friends. But it also seems amazing that it could.

RPGs will be more popular because we are enough used to videogames, and lots of geeks love to create their own "fanart", and this is the key of the RPGs, about creating your own world, characters and stories. It isn't passive like reading a comic or watching a movie, but making choices, nobody knows what it will happen, learning to failure and to risk, to find a solution by means of social skills, to find the right balance between self-criticism and faith in oneself.

Ed Laprade

First Post
Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)

zedturtle

Jacob Rodgers
Writes about D&D, shows LARPers. Color me unimpressed. The only reason they care is because they can lump all RPG related stuff together. Still, there's no such thing as bad publicity. (Or so they say.)

Did you even read the article (and see the pictures of normal folks playing)? Did you read the caption for the photo where they are a D&D group that enjoys dressing up?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!

Honestly that is the first thing I thought. I have had friends assume we dress up and put on elf ears when playing D&D since it seems they see that a lot when they come across some random article or picture of D&D players.

theworstdm

Explorer
Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Mom’s basement." line in almost every one of these articles.

G

Guest 6801328

So ... LARPing and dressing up was always that "bridge too far" for me. Kinda like the whole, "You've gone too far" brigade.

Which is hypocritical as heck, because, well, it's not cool for one geek to say, "Hey, I'm cool playing D&D and debating Picard v. Kirk, but RenFaire? NERDS!"

But with anime and videogames and whatnot, the whole Cosplay thing is pretty huge now. It's seriously mainstream, well, fairly mainstream. :)

So ... joke's on me? "No thanks, I don't dress up, I just roll dice and play my archaic TTRPG."

"I use an eastern European accent for my dwarves, not Scottish, so no I'm not a geek."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases