The Washington Post Weighs In On D&D! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Flexor the Mighty! View Post
    Honestly that is the first thing I thought. I have had friends assume we dress up and put on elf ears when playing D&D since it seems they see that a lot when they come across some random article or picture of D&D players.
    As someone in their mid-40s who started playing TTRPGs in the mid-80s, I have to admit to similar knee-jerk reactions. But I quickly realized that many of us have become the bullies. Some people like to dress up for their games. Who cares? Cosplay has become an impressive hobby. What does it say about us that we worry that how others enjoy the game will make us look silly? It is decades of ridicule and bullying that many in our hobby experienced that, thankfully, is far less prevalent today, which allows folks to enjoy and express themselves openly in ways we could not.

Other than the crappy employment opportunities, I'd love to be in my teens and 20s today.
    XP Azzy, robus, Prakriti, Gradine gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by theworstdm View Post
    Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Moms basement." line in almost every one of these articles.
    Yeah, it caters to outdated stereotypes that were not particularly true "back in the day." To me, it seems more true of the 90s than the 80s. In the 80s it was played in schools, libraries, and was depicted in mainstream films like ET as no different than any other family game played at the kitchen table.
    XP theworstdm gave XP for this post

Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Was WotC responsible for taking away penalties to Strength for female characters? Thats not my recollection.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    Was WotC responsible for taking away penalties to Strength for female characters? Thats not my recollection.
    No, I believe those were introduced in 1e AD&D, but they never made it past that edition.
    XP chrisshorb gave XP for this post

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by theworstdm View Post
    Unfortunately, they included one of my least favorite tropes from mainstream articles about RPGs; you can find some variation of the "No longer is it a game to hide out with in Moms basement." line in almost every one of these articles.
    Yup! As a comic book geek, our equivalent is the (mercifully declining) "POW! WHAM! BIFF! Comics aren't just for kids anymore!" line. Writers trying to "write their way in" to an article fall for it every time.
    XP Azzy, theworstdm gave XP for this post

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    No, those were an aberration of AD&D 1E. As I recall, neither 2E nor Basic had them.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

My only notice is to ask...is the person second from the right in Green wearing a mask?

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by GreyLord View Post
    My only notice is to ask...is the person second from the right in Green wearing a mask?
    If I'm remembering their appearance on the Stream of Many Eyes right, to play her character she uses a bit of makeup, including a fake beard.

EDIT: Just looked it up, and that's Sujata Day's character, Ichabod: https://www.girlsgutsgloryrpg.com/ichabod
    Last edited by Birmy; Friday, 19th April, 2019 at 01:31 AM.

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by GreyLord View Post
    No.
    She takes her long hair and ties locks from either side of her face together under her chin. And then draws on a moustache.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by MNblockhead View Post
    As someone in their mid-40s who started playing TTRPGs in the mid-80s, I have to admit to similar knee-jerk reactions. But I quickly realized that many of us have become the bullies. Some people like to dress up for their games. Who cares? Cosplay has become an impressive hobby. What does it say about us that we worry that how others enjoy the game will make us look silly? It is decades of ridicule and bullying that many in our hobby experienced that, thankfully, is far less prevalent today, which allows folks to enjoy and express themselves openly in ways we could not.

Other than the crappy employment opportunities, I'd love to be in my teens and 20s today.
    Never said I was worried about anything.