Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Sure, I think they can be powerful tools. I just think that more often, what engages me about a game is the decision point that's put forth rather than how it's put forth, and the mood that's been established for it.

(Bold emphasis mine)

Right. So, the mood is something that engages you. So... what tools are used to establish the mood? When you play, does someone *just tell you*? "This scene with the Senechal is jocular, with an undertone of imminent threat, so please play accordingly,"?

Riley37

First Post
Hmm. I would have used diuretic. [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] clearly has better wordcraft than I do. :(

The ominous music, from the orchestra on the bus, might have caused enough anxiety to cause involuntary urination; in which case it was both diegetic AND diuretic.

Aldarc

Legend
Right. So, the mood is something that engages you. So... what tools are used to establish the mood? When you play, does someone *just tell you*? "This scene with the Senechal is jocular, with an undertone of imminent threat, so please play accordingly,"?
IME, sometimes yes.

Not to speak for [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION], but one of the points that I raised in this thread has been about how different storytelling mediums have different tools at their disposal. Films can create mood in ways that books can't. Likewise TTRPGs have more tools than any sense of literary wordcraft available to utilize for establishing the mood: music, terrain and minis, pictures, scene/grid layout, countdown timers, rules, DM presence, etc.

Many TTRPGs also draw on the personalized experience and collective memory of their table. You may have a group of characters who have never encountered an aboleth before, but the players have. And when a DM pulls out an aboleth, it can trigger a sense of collective memory in the players. "Remember that time where we nearly wiped to the aboleth and had to flee?" So often I have seen mood created simply through this manipulation of play experience, memories, and stock monsters.

OTOH, the main sticking point here is because I still have no idea what you or Aldarc mean by these terms you are using.
And I still have no idea why you haven't bothered to read my posts where I explain my position quite explicitly. Maybe you have, but you certainly show little to no actual evidence that you have sincerely engaged my posts, apart from making vacuous claims that I have moved my goal posts.

As far as I can see, literary does not include the following:
Assuming that you are not intentionally trolling, then at this point it is clear that you do need to be drawn a picture and possibly a basic tutorial on Venn diagrams. Otherwise I don't know how to be clear enough about an argument that everyone but you seems to be following. I'm sorry, but my patience for your repeated errors is not infinite.

VDIntersections.png

This is a Venn diagram, which has interconnected circles on it. This one has three interconnected circles on it. Let us imagine that Circle A = Literature; Circle B = Film; and Circle C = Tabletop RPGs. Things that are in A but not in either A-B, A-C, or A-B-C represent features and elements that are entirely unique to A (i.e., literature) as a storytelling medium. In segment A-B-C we may have broader storytelling techniques and features that most stories utilize: e.g., foreshadowing, pacing, characters, mood, language, etc.

If we identify something that exists in quadrant A-B-C, then we can say that it is a feature of A, a feature of B, and a feature of C. But this also means that it is inaccurate to refer to it simply as a feature of A because it is not unique to A but is instead shared by other storytelling modes in media. It is more accurate to call A-B-C a representation of storytelling techniques than literary ones (A) because its inclusion as part of A is not entirely distinct from category B and C. Sure, we can call things located in A-B-C a literary technique when we are talking about features of A, but we are not talking about A; we are talking about C. For example, if we were talking about "foreshadowing" in film, we probably should not call foreshadowing a literary technique. It is a literary technique in literature, but Herr Doktor Kinoprofessor in your Film Studies class would probably get frustrated if you refer to it as such, since they likely want to hear about foreshadowing as a cinematic technique as expressed in film. Foreshadowing is more broadly a narrative device. It's a narrative device that we can use in TTRPGs. But calling it a literary technique is not entirely accurate outside of that context. (TTRPGs are outside of that context.)

But let us take something perhaps easier for you to understand: animals. Dogs have four legs. Cats have four legs. But if someone pointed to a cat and said it was a dog because it also had four legs like a dog, then we would probably correct them. Both cats and dogs have four legs because they are tetrapod animals, albeit tetrapods who also have a number of other common features due to their overlapping lineages: e.g., synapsids, mammals, carnivores, etc.

If we were talking about literature,* then we would be talking about foreshadowing as a literary technique in literature. If we were talking about film, then we would be talking about foreshadowing as a cinematic technique in film. If we were talking about TTRPGs, then we should be talking about foreshadowing as a roleplaying technique in TTRPGs.

Now some people in this thread think that TTRPGs are literature and so it is applicable when discussing TTRPGs to refer to these features and techniques in TTRPGs as literary techniques. I don't think that TTRPGs qualify as literature.* They have different forms of associated literature (e.g., rulebooks, character sheets, GM notes, etc.), but I don't think that we can speak of them in any general sense as literature. Cinemas, video games, radio, theater, and television have already recognized that their storytelling is distinct from conventional literature due to the unique pecularirities of their respective media. Video games are younger than TTRPGs but even 12-year-old boys on the internet have likely heard that video games engender unique storytelling experiences distinct from other forms of media. The video game industry (including scholarship and consumers) is having a conversation about its storytelling as medium that TTRPGs should be having.

* Pick whatever definition you want for "literature" here. I don't care. There are three prominent definitions: wordcraft, high art, and anything written. My point would still be applicable to each. Just don't accuse me of shifting the goal posts for engaging other people's definitions that they have provided.

If you want to reference my position or respond to my post in this thread, then I request the basic courtesy of showing evidence that you have bothered to engage it beyond with some depth and fullness.

Last edited:

Theme
Genre
Description
Exposition
Presentation
Use of literary techniques like foreshadowing or whatnot
Bacon

This is a much better way of discussing this. If we put arguments about words like literary away and just break down concepts like this in gaming, I think I can easily spot where you and I may differ form one another (assuming you are being sarcastic and this list represents things you value in RPGs). On that list, Theme, Literary Techniques, and Exposition, leap out at me as things I would probably not want that much of (or want none of) in my games. Some of these terms are flexible of course. If by theme you just mean "a world of horror" or something, then fine I may use these themes. But if you mean theme more comprehensively to include things like the campaign has a literary theme to it that the GM strives to make relevant and repeat, then I don't think I use theme. With literary techniques, there may be some things I do as GM that could be filed under that. But the example you give, foreshadowing, I definitely don't use. With exposition, again I suppose it depends on how you are handling it, but generally I don't worry about inserting exposition into the prep or game. Obviously background can become important and the players can learn about it. But it doesn't occur in the literary sense of the term I believe.

Genre is more complicated because I do like games that emulate genre. But games don't have to. Games can also emulate real life, history (which I wouldn't file under genre, because I think of it as real history, not as historical fiction), etc. So I don't think genre or genre tropes are essential. I do think they are very common in RPGs. Description again is one where I think it is a matter of degree. Obviously description occurs. But is it description in the literary sense? For your games it might be. Mine I think would not satisfy the literary standards of description that you and Maxperson have expressed interest in having. Presentation is very broad and I don't know that I would say it is an aspect of literature (at least I am having trouble understanding what you mean by it in a literary sense). But while presentation occurs, I am still a bit hung up on our previous debate over presentation/performance. I feel there may be a lot attached to that term, I wouldn't buy into in a game. That said, some amount of presentation, in the general sense of the word is going to occur. But this is an area where I think if we examined each of our GMing styles, we would find extreme differences.

Bacon is something I think is overrated and honestly I've never agreed with the notion that adding it to food makes anything better. There are times when I like bacon. On its own it is fine. But not a superfan of bacon.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Bacon is something I think is overrated and honestly I've never agreed with the notion that adding it to food makes anything better. There are times when I like bacon. On its own it is fine. But not a superfan of bacon.

Never have I been more tempted to block someone here. :eek:

Never have I been more tempted to block someone here. :eek:

I am sorry Max. If you must block me, feel free. But bacon ice cream and bacon infused cocktails are not a stable foundation for a functioning society. These can only lead to lunacy, or are a product of it. I cannot remain silent.

I also do think [MENTION=85555]Bedrockgames[/MENTION] is on to something when he says, ultimately, this discussion now has become a mask for playstyle arguments. Of course it has. This is inevitable, for aesthetic judgments are inseperable from "our deeper structures of belief," as literary critic Terry Eagleton calls them:

For any interested in Eagleton's deep examination of the struggles professional literary critics have gone through in engaging a definition of the term, leading to the above conclusion, I refer you to the excellent prefatory chapter to his Literary Theory: An Introduction, "What Is Literature?" linked here for your convenience.

Glad I was able to say something someone found sensible.

On this though I feel when it comes to RPGs we lean much too heavily on these kind of subjective judgement calls (to an extent inevitable). I think there needs to be more room for descriptive approaches. Don't get me wrong, I think we also need punditry. We need GMs who advance ideas like "here is why I think my approach is the best one", because that is how people honestly feel and because there is value in promoting different styles of play. But there also needs to be more space in these discussions for not trying to make that the basis for how we define, categorize, etc. Because in my view that is the sort of thing that poisons discussion and leads to very sharp divisions in the hobby around things like playstyle (where specific RPGs, styles of playing, etc become more like team jerseys).

To take an example that will probably mean something to most of us here. John Williams' score for the Star Wars movies. Those pieces generally stand on their own, and communicate things without the movie. I dare folks to claim that those musical pieces are not content, in and of themselves. The presentation of Star Wars would not be the same story if it had, instead, music by... Abba, say.

This is a very good example. There is no denying that half the movie is the music. Same with Conan. It is as much a part of the film as the script or the special effects. But one thing worth pointing out here, and I know this is somewhat besides your point, music like that can't just be ported into an RPG to the same effect (it can't even be ported into a video game---which is a much closer medium to a film---and have the same effect). I am sure many of us have experimented with music at the table. I used to use music in the background when I played. It can add mood, but in a totally different way from in film. It works well as ambient background, but try matching your game to the melody, the rhythm or the tempo (okay folks, it is the allegro section, lets pick things up!). It is a case where in film the music, the story and the visuals can be perfectly married. And I think there are few examples out there as well known as Star Wars in this respect. In a game, I've noticed there can be tension and conflict between what is going on at the table and the music. I've also found a lot of players simply don't respond well to music (some love it, some are indifferent, but some truly despise it and find it distracting). That said, you can experiment. I know a GM who designed around music, and planned out things like NPC themes, etc. That is very interesting but it has the effect of the music radically altering what you do, and it is probably only going to appeal to a narrow slice of players and GMs.

So again, for me one of the key things we have to ask ourselves in discussions like this is how the mediums are different and if the lessons of one medium apply in the same way to another. Just blindly accepting something like the descriptive stylings of novels for example, is, I think, not necessary for the RPG medium (and might run counter to certain styles of GMing and play).

hawkeyefan

Legend
Well .... I mean, I think that having a sense of imagination is really helpful!

IMO, RPGs are nothing more than structured forms of collaborative storytelling.

Sure, imagination is key. So is willingness or buy-in. Collaboration.

Are these things more essential to RPGing than mastery of rules or improvisation ability or other elements that can enhance play?

Is there a referee or DM in the game, and if so, how much control does that individual have over the collaboration (and/or rules for collaboration)?

How much of the collaboration is determined by chance (must have dice! lol) and how much by narrative concerns?

This is interesting and to me it brings up a question....how much do the existing mechanics matter in relation to narration being a vital component to the game? If there are mechanics that try to emulate these things, is narration less needed?

Imaro

Legend
...I think, not necessary for the RPG medium (and might run counter to certain styles of GMing and play).

Cant this be claimed for almost anything .. case in point... I dont think character relevant/specific content (mainly the type [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] puts forth earlier in the thread) is necessary for the rpg medium (andmight run counter to certain styles of GMing and play, such as beer & pretzels or games where exploration of the world is the focus).

Edit: in other words rpg's are so varied, playstyles are so varied and DM styles are so varied is there anything specific that can be applied to all??

Remove ads