Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
"Every movie is better with Sandra Bullock."

Alfred Hitchcock, probably.
He was obviously talking about Fire on the Amazon. Possibly Bullock's finest work, and a ground breaking cinematic masterpiece. Followed very closely by the cult classic, Sandra Dances the Can Can with a Line of Paladins on a Fresh Bed of Dead Gnome. A lesser know work I'll admit, but one of my favorites.

Satyrn

First Post
That's because it's tagged with Homebrew.

The only homebrew I partake in better get my wicked messed up.

I don't want my homebrew to make me read about exploding toads ... I want my homebrew to make me SEE exploding toads.

*hic*
If you're sitting at my table, you will see them. Heck. My awesome literary narration will have you feeling sad about the violent end to their too-short existence. You'll be provoked into pondering the meaning of life, the deepest question of human existence, the universe - everything.

And you will, of course, answer "52."

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmmm...
"Gentlemen, like Hitchock, prefer brunettes."

Charles Coburn, indubitably.
I thought it was that "gentlemen prefer chaotic evil dog-faced humanoids"? Maybe it was brunettes. I can never keep my bon mot straight, and your can never tell with Coburn.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I see people walked right by the correct answer to the title's question and didn't notice it.

It's "No."
Dude. Stop posting right now and go write this paper! You will be famous for all time! Imagine, I've posted 8n the same thread as the person with the right answer to what literature is (or at least conclusively is not)!

To be so lucky!

It's easy to overlook what you have.

But if it's not apparent, this is why (inter alia) D&D is so useful for kids with autism; because they don't have these natural abilties, and because it can help teach .... narrative and emotion which goes into proper framing.

But to re-state the obvious; yes, of course you don't see yourself engaged in anything but "mere conversation" or "mere framing" because you're already experienced, and your natural ability, honed through those years of experience, provides the results you seek.

Citing the above, I want to make sure I've captured your position before I attempt to move the conversation forward. To do so, I'm going to also cite the below from me:

Hence why I put them (skill in identifying how to frame, evolve, and resolve situations where PC dramatic need is tested or in conflict with something else) hierarchically at the top, connect them to understanding dramatic device, but don’t correlate them profoundly to certain facets of exposition skill (I do correlate it to some aspects; the ability to communicate with economy but provocatively almost certainly has an amplification effect...one way or the other...but not a causal effect...hence why it’s lower on the hierarchy).

Is your position that I (and others) have a blind spot for the gravity of the amplification effect I cite above (or further still, that it is indeed a causal effect) because of natural ability/decades of honing the crafts of exposition and oratory?

Some kind of cognitive bias due to being well-practiced; call it "Aptitude Bias?"

BronzeDragon

Explorer
Dude. Stop posting right now and go write this paper! You will be famous for all time! Imagine, I've posted 8n the same thread as the person with the right answer to what literature is (or at least conclusively is not)!

To be so lucky!

Ah, the strong aroma of "Pretentious Storygamer"....

You may wanna ease up on the cologne just a tad.

Remove ads