Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Imaro

Legend
They might. It depends. The point is they can interject—-and that interjection might lead to a different description because the GM is reacting to the player’s curiosity. The bigger point is: players don’t expect long moments of narration by the GM, they expect to be active participants in what is going on. This isn’t a story the GM is unfurling for passive players.

So the difference boils down to whether players interrupt each other or not and/or the length of description a group prefers. Seems a silly distinction to me but whatever.

Imaro

Legend
I think it's a question of the amount of narration. Sure, you can have a lot of descriptive language around a call to action.....they need not be mutually exclusive. And for me personally, I think how I would present the call to action would really depend on the specific situation in the fiction. Do I want to set a mood by really painting a detailed picture of the situation and their surroundings, what they see and hear and smell, and then give the players a choice? Or do I want to hit them with the choice like a punch to the gut?

I think both options have their place, ultimately. But I think I would rely on one more than the other to try and make the game compelling and keep it moving.

I think that it's a case of the GM's narration leading to a point of decision. I don't think all boxed text does this by any means. I've read plenty of boxed text and then my players stare at me without any sense of what to do.

I also think that boxed text is A THING.....like it's a trigger that the GM is talking and the players should shut up and listen. And while I think this is good in some ways (attention, etc.), I think it is bad in other ways. I often think it's good to break it up with questions and answers rather than to expect everyone to retain all of it in one infodrop.

My two most recent GMing experiences have been running Tomb Of Annihilation for 5E, which consists of a hexcrawl followed by a classic dungeon delve, and with running Blades in the Dark, which has almost no prepared material other than the setting. In Tomb, I had to read boxed text and adhere to it because the procedures that the players had their characters perform mattered very much....the actions, they took and where and how and when....all of that could matter quite a lot due to traps or monsters or secret doors and so on. You had to know when someone entered the room and touched the statue, and where everyone else was and so on. I had to read nearly all boxed text multiple times. Now, this is largely because of the play style of the adventure, but I think it's also the nature of boxed text.....it usually tries to cram as much information in as possible. So afterward, the players always have questions.....and because the boxed text is there, you reread it, or part of it to them.

It's kind of an awkward way of presenting information, and I would rarely think of it as literary. Sure, there is some flavor that is included to help set mood and so forth, but the way it winds up working at the table is just awkward.

Blades in the Dark summarizes a RPG as being a conversation. There's meant to be back and forth. There are meant to be questions and response and building on what others ask or say. There's no point where you are reading prepared material (although you could pre-write some bits if you really wanted, but they'd be limited to the start of a session).

For me, the natural flow of Blades in the Dark is much more preferable, and actually engages the players more, in my opinion. That could of course be entirely unique to my group, but I expect others would agree.

Again, I agree that evocative narration and the call to action are not mutually exclusive....but I think that there's a strong case for one being more central to many RPGs.

I think your issue is predicated on the length of the boxed text as opposed to its literary quality though. The two keep being confused in this thread.

Side A: We like/enjoy/get emotionally invested in/whatever a well written description...

Side B: Yeah I dont like long boring narrative by the GM before action in my rpg's

Side A: Who said they did?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think your issue is predicated on the length of the boxed text as opposed to its literary quality though. The two keep being confused in this thread.

Side A: We like/enjoy/get emotionally invested in/whatever a well written description...

Side B: Yeah I dont like long boring narrative by the GM before action in my rpg's

Side A: Who said they did?

Again, I think you make a good point and I don't know if any of these things need to be mutually exclusive. A longer boxed text may or may not be of better literary quality than any other. I'm all for Strunk and White's rule of "omit unnecessary words".

But then it's due to the muddy waters of the term literary quality and how it can be viewed in broad or narrow terms. I don't know if I'd say that a well constructed sentence is necessarily an effort toward literary quality. Technical writing needs to be clear and understandable.....qualities that, although they can be present in writing that aspires to literary quality are not essential to it.....metaphorical language would be an example of literary minded language that may not be immediately understood or clear.

So for me, I'm looking at it as a question or what works at the table. Sometimes....especially at the start of a session, or a new scene or new location and similar situations.....evocative language and description can serve a strong purpose. But I think once we get to the back and forth nature of GM giving info to player declaring an action and then to mechanical resolution and then further narration.....at that point, I think literary quality takes a back seat to clear and concise description.

Obviously, it's a scale and everyone is going to have a different sweet spot on that scale. For me, a natural discussion with the GM offering info, the players asking questions, the back and forth....all of that is preferable....and more engaging, I'd argue....than the GM trying to evoke a response through evocative word choice.

No in my mind playing an rpg isn't passive entertainment... so claiming any players are passive (not acting or making choices but just being read to) means they aren't actually playing an rpg.

Okay, then not sure why you made the comment about players being passive while the GM talks

So the difference boils down to whether players interrupt each other or not and/or the length of description a group prefers. Seems a silly distinction to me but whatever.

I think we may be talking past each other. I am talking about what players expect from the GM in terms of description, what the GM expects of the players, and how that interaction is quite fluid in a lot of games (versus others where the GM is afforded a 'narration platform'. It isn't about length. It is about how the players see these moments when the GM speaks and how they expect to speak, as well as whether or not the players are free to interact in those moments. I don't really prioritize description or narration. I keep things very simple, and down to natural conversational style english. I've been in other games where the GM is expected to assume a more narrator like role. So I am drawing a distinction between those things. At some point you mentioned players being passive audience members during GM description, and I objected to this as always being the case. I wasn't trying to establish a duality here, I was just trying to respond to your statement about player passivity

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So it probably has been answered... right, I'll get on searching over 100 pages of a thread for what might be answered....

Oh and for the record this isn't school or a job I don't have work, and I don't have a responsibility related to this. Chill dude. You don't want to help fine then just don't reply... it's way easier than the wasted word count you're adding to.

It's sort of like their buzzword, "equivocate" that they like to falsely accuse others of so often. If you don't have much to go on, you have to be as unhelpful as possible.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Though I think I would still contend I'm passive until you've communicated the situation (a bomb about to go off in the buiding) to me and I require further clarification, information, etc. The thing is I'd probably gain more/better information/clarity if I waited until you finished telling me wat you know before interrupting...

I've been through it. A year after we moved into our house, I came home from work like any other day. I saw nothing unusual when I got home. Once inside I began to talk about the day with my wife and about 5 minutes later the phone rang. It was my neighbor who asked if I had looked outside recently. When I told her no, she said, "Well, the bomb squad is on your lawn." I immediately got up and walked outside and sure enough, there were 4 cops on my lawn crouched behind the bomb squad truck. I walked up to them and asked them if there was something I should be aware of. One turned around and..........finished speaking. I didn't interrupt. He told me that the mailman had noticed a suspicious package in the mail box that was about 50 yards from my house. After my third of fourth check-in, I was told that it was in fact an explosive device. I live in a very quiet neighborhood so it was a fairly substantial shock. I also got to find out that the robot that blows up bombs with its water gun sounds like a bomb going off. It's loud as hell.

Hussar

Legend
I don't think this is true. I don't intend what follows to be triggering for anyone, and apologise if it is - I couldn't come up with a completely safe example. But, that said, and continuing on:

If I relate to you the information that a bomb is about to go off in your building, I don't think you would be a passive audience. I think you would engage with what I'm saying in many quite active ways. Including, perhaps, certain sorts of interruptions, but not limited to those.

EDIT: I think this post from Campbell, not far upthread, presents an idea of players as something different from a passive audience:

Conversely, a way upthread [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] talked about a GM "rolling up the plot wagon". To me at least, that suggests a situation in which the players are something of a passive audience.

But this only works because I know what a bomb is. The contextual work is already done.

Now there is a zifnarb in your building. What do you do?

Remove ads