Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I would call that a literary description. You are certainly using several words that would almost never appear in conversation - "gaunt" "rictus", "scans about" "wields". I mean, "rictus", as far as I an tell, doesn't even appear in the top 10000 of most common English words. Nor does "gaunt". These are quite obviously words that would only appear in writing (or close enough to only that it can see only on a clear day). Which, to me, qualifies it as an attempt at "literary" rather than conversation.

So rarity of word use makes something literary? I don’t agree with that at all.

The description isn’t a bad one by any means. Again, this goes back to “non-literary does not equal bland”. All it attempts to do is describe the creature to the players.

What about the elevator example that you snipped? What did you think of that?

If the description itself contained attempts at creativity or art, then I think that’s what would be an attempt at literary quality.

To put it another way, let’s say two kids ride their skateboard to the store, a few blocks from where they live. One kid simply rides there, avoiding hazards and navigating the streets and sidewalks and all the obstacles. Still takes skill, right?

The other kid makes the same trip but includes a bunch of tricks along the way....he ollies from the curb over a pothole and railgrinds along the back of a bench and does a bunch of kickflips and so on.

Both kids make the same trip, both trips still require skill, but one is straightforward....the destination is all that matters. For the other, how the destination is reached is just as or probably more important than the destination.

hawkeyefan

Legend
The description alters interest in many, if not most people. I've seen a lot of people who will ignore a staff on the ground, fewer who will ignore description #2, and very, very few who will ignore one described with #3 or 4.

I’d expect that to be so, bit I don’t think that really has to do with the literary merit of the description. It’s more about the length of the description and the meta aspect of it. “Oh the DM wouldn’t focus on the staff so much if it wasn’t important.”

Imaro

Legend
[MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION]... can you just give an example of what you feel would be literary?? I'm not certain your and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] 's idea of literary line up since he claimed I seemed to understand it and my understanding was non-conversational, evocative description.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I’d expect that to be so, bit I don’t think that really has to do with the literary merit of the description. It’s more about the length of the description and the meta aspect of it. “Oh the DM wouldn’t focus on the staff so much if it wasn’t important.”

It's not about the length or the meta. It's about the language. The meta COULD come into play, but if it does, it's in addition to the interest generated by the language.

Here.

Description #1. There's a long, thick, hard, round, six foot, brown wooden staff on the ground.

Description #2. There's an intricately carved feywood staff on the ground.

#1 is both accurate and longer than #2, but #2 will capture more interest.

Hussar

Legend
So rarity of word use makes something literary? I don’t agree with that at all.

The description isn’t a bad one by any means. Again, this goes back to “non-literary does not equal bland”. All it attempts to do is describe the creature to the players.

What about the elevator example that you snipped? What did you think of that?

If the description itself contained attempts at creativity or art, then I think that’s what would be an attempt at literary quality.

To put it another way, let’s say two kids ride their skateboard to the store, a few blocks from where they live. One kid simply rides there, avoiding hazards and navigating the streets and sidewalks and all the obstacles. Still takes skill, right?

The other kid makes the same trip but includes a bunch of tricks along the way....he ollies from the curb over a pothole and railgrinds along the back of a bench and does a bunch of kickflips and so on.

Both kids make the same trip, both trips still require skill, but one is straightforward....the destination is all that matters. For the other, how the destination is reached is just as or probably more important than the destination.

Actually, if you don't mind, I'm going to stick with the Githyanki example because it hits pretty much exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Remember, the basic point is we're comparing "literary" (for a given value of literary) to conversation . Which, that allows for a more objective comparison because we know, or at least have a pretty good idea, of what is considered conversational English and what isn't. While it might not be up to New Yorker standards, your Githyanki example is very much outside the realm of conversational English.

By and large, about 95% (or a bit more actually) of conversational English is made up of about 5000 words. ((It's actually closer to about 98%)) To give a good comparison, the New York Times generally hits about 93% of the first 2000 words and about 99% of the first 5000. So, if your sentence contains words outside of those first 5000, you are already outside the realm of conversation.

Now, here's the quote again:

“The creature you see is humanoid, taller than the average human, and gaunt. It has leathery yellow skin, sunken eyes, and a rictus grin. Its armor is of a style you’ve never seen before. It wields a great silver sword that shines even in the near darkness. The creature scans about for signs of enemies. It does not appear to have noticed you, but it soon may. What do you do?”

That's, by my count, 72 words. Of those 72 words, 6 do not appear in the first 5000 word list (COCA Corpus), "humanoid, gaunt, leathery (although leather does, so, you might count that one), sunken, rictus, wield). So, 10% of your words would almost never appear in any normal conversation. That places you at a higher complexity than the New York times. Also, your choice of words - wield, gaunt, scans for signs - are all geared towards evoking specific responses from the audience. This isn't conversation English. We use words like "wield" in fantasy novels. It's telling that you say "scans for signs" not "looks".

This is a perfect example of how RPGing is not conversational and stripping the higher language out of the descriptions would result in a flat, boring experience. "The human shaped person, taller than average, is thin. It has rough, yellow skin and bags under its eyes and a scary smile. It's armor is of a style you've never seen before. I has a great silver sword that is shiny in the low light. It looks around for enemies. It does not look like it has noticed you but, it might soon. What do you do?"

That's a lot less evocative than your first paragraph, but, is far closer to conversational English.

I don’t know, if my GM uttered the words ‘Rictus grin’, I think someone might punch him in the mouth. I get that you want those kinds of description. Personally I find that kind of affected style very off putting in a live game

Hussar

Legend
I don’t know, if my GM uttered the words ‘Rictus grin’, I think someone might punch him in the mouth. I get that you want those kinds of description. Personally I find that kind of affected style very off putting in a live game

But, by the same token BRG, would you be surprised to see such a description in a module? Would it be terribly unusual? And, would you not at least agree that using a word like "rictus grin" is more evocative than "scary smile"?

Look, I get that you don't want a lot of "flowery" language in your games, but, I imagine that if I were to actually tape your sessions, you would find a lot more non-conversational level language during the session than you might think.

But, by the same token BRG, would you be surprised to see such a description in a module? Would it be terribly unusual?

I wouldn't be surprised to see it in boxed text. I don't think it is as useful to GMs or as suited to the medium as a lot of people believe it is, and there are plenty of modules that avoid this kind of language. But yes, it is certainly the kind of thing that crops up in modules (particularly mainstream modules)

And, would you not at least agree that using a word like "rictus grin" is more evocative than "scary smile"?

No I wouldn't and I will explain why. What passes for evocative in a novel is different from what passes for evocative in conversation. Yes you can be evocative in conversational English, but trying to ape a narrator's voice is probably one of the worst ways to be evocative in conversation. They are different mediums. Novels work well for that kind of description but in conversation, if you talk that way, it just sounds silly and artificial. Some groups do talk in this way. And like I said, some GM's can pull of sounding like Vincent Price, but I think by and large you are better off speaking in your natural voice, with your natural vocabulary.

Look, I get that you don't want a lot of "flowery" language in your games, but, I imagine that if I were to actually tape your sessions, you would find a lot more non-conversational level language during the session than you might think.

Well, I don't know. Gamers tend to have a pretty good vocabulary. And my group is from Boston so we talk a certain kind of way here. But at the end of the day, even if evocative language crops up naturally in the conversation, I'd argue there is a big difference between this style and the one you and Maxperson appear to be advocating (which is pretty much modeling GM talk after boxed text). I generally talk in a style that is not affected. I speak modern, Boston colloquial English when I am GMing. I will say things like "This guy is ugly as hell". And over the years I've gotten more comfortable talking this way in play. But again, I am a gamer, and I am from Boston, so higher level vocabulary works its way in. That doesn't mean I am trying to emulate literature. It just means my natural way of talking includes certain words. But if you analyzed my narration, I am pretty sure it wouldn't come off as literary in terms of structure, word selection, efficiency, etc. I am not sculpting words the way an author does.

Description #1. There's a long, thick, hard, round, six foot, brown wooden staff on the ground.

Description #2. There's an intricately carved feywood staff on the ground.

#1 is both accurate and longer than #2, but #2 will capture more interest.

But that is totally dependent on the player. I keep seeing you assert 'description x is more y'. I know from experience, and from trying to talk in the style of #2 to my players, many players are less interested in 2 than they are in 1. Some players are a little more analytical and they want the kind of details you have in 1 (and they don't particularly care how well crafted your description is of the feywood). Others want something with a lot of flavor. Description 1 arguably contains more useful information. Not saying it is better or worse. But that is at least one reason it might capture the interest of some players more than description 2.

Hussar

Legend
I would argue that it's "many players that I play with" than "players".

And, frankly, taking you at your word, that you use nothing but bog standard colloquial English, unadorned, sounds really sad and boring. I'd much rather just play a board game if we're not going to actually make any effort to inject any attempt to use anything other than every day language. I'm sure it works for you, and that's groovy, but, I'm going to say that it would not work for me or mine, nor would you be able to sell any RPG's using that language.

I mean, good grief, Gygaxian is actually looked on as a good thing. :D The 1e DMG is still held up as the epitome of RPG writing. And that's as far from conversational English as you can get.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases