Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

I feel like there is a teeny tiny excluded middle between MAXIMUM TERSENESS (SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY) and exposition economy (while still managing the key components of dramatic device) :)

pemerton

Legend
Overall, if one player is going on about their character in some way, and I see other players roll their eyes, or pick up their phones.....that's what I don't want. It's a group activity, and yes there will be time for each player and character to have the spotlight or to get focus, but we all need to be engaged.
That's probably a point that generalises to all narration!

pemerton

Legend
Is it possible to be very good at conflict framing (a) and resolution (b) yet be mediocre in words usage on the journey from a to b?
Yes. Someone can be good at plotting but poor at scripting. Someone can have good imagination for drama, conflict, story and yet be a bad writer.

Is the inverse possible (poor at framing and resolution but beautiful prose/oratory)?
I would say so, yes.

pemerton

Legend
Some people might claim that- I would imagine that some, like the OP, honestly believe that a lack of "highfalutin'" language indicates a lack of presence; I would only mention that the OP regularly refers to speaking at, inter alia, conferences and giving presentations; while we might view this type of speaking as somewhat banal compared to Finnegan's Wake, it is certainly true that such public speaking is far outside of the norm today. And I think there is a reason for that ...
I don't quite follow this, and so am not sure what view is being attributed to me. For my answers to [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION]'s questions, see the post immediately upthread.

Riley37

First Post
Framing requires narration. Narration requires word choice.

Or interpretive dance. Or pictures drawn with crayons. That's also a viable option.

Unfortunately, the scene in "Hush" episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, in which the gang play D&D, with Giles as DM, was cut from the broadcast.

The first one isn't easy, but here goes-
Proper framing/resolution requires choice of words that are appropriate for the occasion. Different people will have different styles that are appropriate and, therefore, work. But IME, I have not seen a GM who is both EXCELLENT at framing/resolution, and terrible at oratory/word usage.

I have seen this. I've played with great GMs who used a lot of awkward phrasing and had trouble describing things on the fly. This is where the players asking questions really helps things. I generally didn't find these experiences to be diminished by the GM's difficulty. Oratory isn't everything. Substance is often more important to me. Sometimes there is a direct line of causation between someone not narrating as well but being great at providing content. For example a person who thinks really fast and has a hyper active imagination, often in my experience, will be prone to verbal ticks, stumbling, and jumping around over details.

Just to roughly quote from my favorite series "Isn't what a man has to say more important than how he says it?"

Aldarc

Legend
Yeah, I have experienced playing with a number of GMs who were not good at phrasing, narration, or the performative aspects of GMing but excellent with framing scenes, stakes, and pacing.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases