Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
But .... the difference between a DM/GM/referee/adjudicator and a host of a referee-less RPG is ... what?

And let's take Fiasco, for example. Would the key person in that instance, if you were to play it with friends in a public space, just be the owner of the RPG? And if so, what does that mean?

I think that while the concept (a "key person") is both useful and common to most RPGs, it is not a necessary condition for an RPG, if that makes sense?
Try it without one sometime...if you can.

Someone has to take the initiative and get the game together one way or another; and though in different games/systems this can involve different duties and responsibilities as [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] says, the end result is the same: without this person there is no game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It does make sense, yes.

So, to summarize, so far it seems we have 4 required elements that may apply to all RPGs.

1. Imagination
2. Willingness/buy in
3. Role play
4. A game (some agreed upon set of rules)

Are there any others? Would premise or situation fit on the list? Or setting?

Do all 4 of the above actually pertain to each example of RPG that we can think of?

I would add "at least 2 people."

Aldarc

Legend
Try it without one sometime...if you can.
Done. Next quest?

Someone has to take the initiative and get the game together one way or another; and though in different games/systems this can involve different duties and responsibilities as [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] says, the end result is the same: without this person there is no game.
I don't think that it's necessary for us to build up the importance of this "someone" for RPGs as if it were something unique and particular to them.

Hussar

Legend
Done. Next quest?

I don't think that it's necessary for us to build up the importance of this "someone" for RPGs as if it were something unique and particular to them.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. Without "that person organizing things", pretty much any group activity never gets off the ground. And, really, while it's often the DM/GM who does this, it isn't always. I've played in groups where we played at someone's house, but, that someone wasn't running the game.

Aldarc

Legend
Yeah, I have to agree with this. Without "that person organizing things", pretty much any group activity never gets off the ground. And, really, while it's often the DM/GM who does this, it isn't always. I've played in groups where we played at someone's house, but, that someone wasn't running the game.
Yeah, since that person is often the DM in TTRPGs, I suspect that the desire to include this as integral stems from a desire to find another way to privilege and aggrandize the DM.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Yeah, since that person is often the DM in TTRPGs, I suspect that the desire to include this as integral stems from a desire to find another way to privilege and aggrandize the DM.

It doesn't have to be a dedicated DM, though. You could create a game where you only have players, but each player in turn steps into the role of "DM" when something needs to be adjudicated or decided from the other side of things. What does need to happen is for there to be someone who does that organization, even if that role is shared by all of the players.

Remove ads