Is RPGing a *literary* endeavour? - Page 144
Page 144 of 148 FirstFirst ... 4494134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148 LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1474
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    "Every movie is better with Sandra Bullock."

Alfred Hitchcock, probably.
    He was obviously talking about Fire on the Amazon. Possibly Bullock's finest work, and a ground breaking cinematic masterpiece. Followed very closely by the cult classic, Sandra Dances the Can Can with a Line of Paladins on a Fresh Bed of Dead Gnome. A lesser know work I'll admit, but one of my favorites.
    Laugh Satyrn, lowkey13 laughed with this post

Hydra (Lvl 25)

That's because it's tagged with Homebrew.

The only homebrew I partake in better get my wicked messed up.

I don't want my homebrew to make me read about exploding toads ... I want my homebrew to make me SEE exploding toads.

*hic*
    If you're sitting at my table, you will see them. Heck. My awesome literary narration will have you feeling sad about the violent end to their too-short existence. You'll be provoked into pondering the meaning of life, the deepest question of human existence, the universe - everything.

And you will, of course, answer "52."

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris-77 View Post
    He was obviously talking about Fire on the Amazon. Possibly Bullock's finest work, and a ground breaking cinematic masterpiece. Followed very closely by the cult classic, Sandra Dances the Can Can with a Line of Paladins on a Fresh Bed of Dead Gnome. A lesser know work I'll admit, but one of my favorites.
    Hmmm...

I swear he was thinking about The Wrong Side, or The Birds Box, or Speed by Speedwest, or perhaps it was Speed 2: A Stranger Named Jason Patric on a Train?

But I'm not sure you can trust him.

"Gentlemen, like Hitchock, prefer brunettes."

Charles Coburn, indubitably.

A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by Satyrn View Post
    If you're sitting at my table, you will see them. Heck. My awesome literary narration will have you feeling sad about the violent end to their too-short existence. You'll be provoked into pondering the meaning of life, the deepest question of human existence, the universe - everything.

And you will, of course, answer "52."
    NO!

I demand that you do not narrate them. I want my framing to be minimalist, as if Dieter "Leibe meine Abschminke*" Rams possessed you!

DM: "A room."

Player: "um..... okay ... what kind of room?"

D: "A white room."

P: "Got it. White room. How big is this white room?"

D: "The size of your crushed dreams."

P: *grimacing* "Okay then! So, is there anything in this white room?"

D: "Yes."

P: ....must ... restrain .... fist of god ... "WHAT IS IN THIS WHITE ROOM?"

D: "Answers for questions you have not asked."

P: (screaming) "Do I see anything in this white room, like an object, or a creature?"

D: "Yes, a toad explodes, killing you, and ending the suffering and existential pain of your character's existence. The agony was gorgeous, and as your character dies, filled with remorse and pain, he cannot help but think of his existential sorrow, and that he was doomed to a life of obscurity, surrounded my mediocrity, only to end up covered in exploded toad guts and lying in a pool of his own evacuated bowels?"

P: ..... "I hate you so very, very much."

D: ......"Good."

*Monkeys make great makeup removers.
    Last edited by lowkey13; Thursday, 13th June, 2019 at 09:05 PM.
    Laugh Fenris-77, Satyrn laughed with this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Hmmm...
    "Gentlemen, like Hitchock, prefer brunettes."

Charles Coburn, indubitably.
    I thought it was that "gentlemen prefer chaotic evil dog-faced humanoids"? Maybe it was brunettes. I can never keep my bon mot straight, and your can never tell with Coburn.
    Laugh lowkey13 laughed with this post

Gallant (Lvl 3)

I see people walked right by the correct answer to the title's question and didn't notice it.

It's "No."
    XP Aldarc gave XP for this post
    Laugh Riley37 laughed with this post

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
    I see people walked right by the correct answer to the title's question and didn't notice it.

It's "No."
    Dude. Stop posting right now and go write this paper! You will be famous for all time! Imagine, I've posted 8n the same thread as the person with the right answer to what literature is (or at least conclusively is not)!

To be so lucky!

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

It's easy to overlook what you have.

But if it's not apparent, this is why (inter alia) D&D is so useful for kids with autism; because they don't have these natural abilties, and because it can help teach .... narrative and emotion which goes into proper framing.

But to re-state the obvious; yes, of course you don't see yourself engaged in anything but "mere conversation" or "mere framing" because you're already experienced, and your natural ability, honed through those years of experience, provides the results you seek.
    Citing the above, I want to make sure I've captured your position before I attempt to move the conversation forward. To do so, I'm going to also cite the below from me:

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    Hence why I put them (skill in identifying how to frame, evolve, and resolve situations where PC dramatic need is tested or in conflict with something else) hierarchically at the top, connect them to understanding dramatic device, but dont correlate them profoundly to certain facets of exposition skill (I do correlate it to some aspects; the ability to communicate with economy but provocatively almost certainly has an amplification effect...one way or the other...but not a causal effect...hence why its lower on the hierarchy).
    Is your position that I (and others) have a blind spot for the gravity of the amplification effect I cite above (or further still, that it is indeed a causal effect) because of natural ability/decades of honing the crafts of exposition and oratory?

Some kind of cognitive bias due to being well-practiced; call it "Aptitude Bias?"
    XP Aldarc gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post

It's "No."
    I'm not yet willing to rule out "category error" as the more correct answer.

Is light a particle endeavor?
    XP BronzeDragon, Maxperson gave XP for this post

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Dude. Stop posting right now and go write this paper! You will be famous for all time! Imagine, I've posted 8n the same thread as the person with the right answer to what literature is (or at least conclusively is not)!

To be so lucky!
    Ah, the strong aroma of "Pretentious Storygamer"....

You may wanna ease up on the cologne just a tad.