5E Best monster for "cleaning up" dead bodies..
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Best monster for "cleaning up" dead bodies..

Running a one shot where the cultists dispose of corpses after ritualistic killing. I wanted to have a side room that is kind of their dump for said bodies, and was trying to decide what type of monster would be best. I'm thinking it needs to be either low intellect or loyal/something that can be controlled.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

..Would a gelatinous cube be dumb?
    XP jayoungr, CydKnight, TarionzCousin gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Gelatinous cube was basically designed for this. Not intelligent but reacts to stimuli and can be controlled. Apparently can't squeeze through cracks in closed doors and doesn't have a climbing speed, so that would be a good choice.

Otyugh play a similar role and are a good choice for corpses, sewage, and refuse. They are dumb but smart enough for basic communication (they are telegraphic). Can be trained/controlled by feeding them.
    XP That_DM_Lady, lowkey13, the Jester, Satyrn, Shiroiken and 3 others gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Some others to consider:

Ochre Jellies. Not sure if they would eat carrion, I would guess they would, though they prefer fresher meat. Problem is keeping them contained and the danger they present to those that try to control them. I don't think they would be that controllable.

If you also want to get rid of armor and weapons, you may want a gray ooze or rust monster. Not sure you could have them cohabitate with another creature, maybe you have pens and you move in a gelatinous cube or otyugh and then shoo it out and let the rust monster / grey ooze in to take care of the metal.

Black puddings would be the most effective as they take care of flesh, bones, metal, wood, everything. But like ochre jellies, they would be difficult to contain and control.

How does one transport a gelatinous cube? In case they ask how the cultists got it to a manor. I like the simplicity of having them open the door and there is just a big jelly in their face.

But otyugh might be better from a story perspective since they are easier to transport.

Community Supporter
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

You don't transport it. You create a pit and drop the cube in. Then it just sits there.

And this is the wrong subforum for this conversation. You should post in "Dungeon and Dragons" or "General Role-playing".
    Last edited by jmucchiello; Thursday, 25th April, 2019 at 05:06 AM.

Ah, sorry. It is my first posting on the site. Is there a way for me to move the thread?

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

I can move it for you. No problem.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

What about a room of green slime to dissolve everything?
    XP That_DM_Lady gave XP for this post

Dusty Dragon
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Fun suggestion: a lazy troll. He might be upset that his source of food is gone... but the PCs may placate him by feeding him the dead cultists .

Welcome to EN world!
    XP That_DM_Lady, Quartz, Satyrn, MNblockhead gave XP for this post

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

I am a big fan of Carrion Crawlers as dungeon sweepers and dump masters.
    XP collin, That_DM_Lady, MNblockhead gave XP for this post