What does it mean to "Challenge the Character"?

Riley37

First Post
without expecting my players to have to pretend they don't know something to preserve the challenge of my games.

It's sticky and uphill for a DM to enforce "no, you don't know that, at least not yet" on determined players. If your D&D players insist on having their PCs invent gunpowder, refine caking and corning gunpowder to propellant grade, invent cannon, and refine those cannon into shoulder-fired flintlock muskets, all in a single year: okay, as DM you give the PCs foes and obstacles which are hard to defeat even with muskets.

As a player, though, I would generally not find those victories satisfying. In D&D, I'd rather win or lose with swords and sorcery, than resort to "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" methods.

IMO the core question - can a DM challenge characters? - hinges on whether the DM has players who want challenges.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
When it comes to monsters, and spells and magic items, I don't actually have a huge issue with this kind of metagaming generally. First, this is the easiest and most obvious place where experienced players can bridge the player/character knowledge gap, and I'm in favour of that. Second, setting aside listed character skills for a moment, knowledge of monsters and magic represents the kind of professional knowledge one would expect an adventurer to acquire. Our actual game sessions only represent a fraction of a character's in-world social interactions and there are two especially large lacunae - downtime and travel time. In real life, what tends to happen when you put a bunch of people from the same profession in a bar, or on a bus, or in a training session? They tend to talk shop and swap stories. This is an obvious way for an adventurer to have gained the kind of knowledge we're talking about. While this might not fall inside D&D's specific skill mechanic that doesn't necessarily mean it's character inappropriate.

All that said, there are obviously instances where a player can go too far and it can certainly start to take away from a campaign or session - for example when it feels more like rule book reading and zero effort is made to role play the info into the game. That kind of table management is one of the GMs primary jobs though, so I can live with it when problems arise on a case by case basis.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
It's sticky and uphill for a DM to enforce "no, you don't know that, at least not yet" on determined players. If your D&D players insist on having their PCs invent gunpowder, refine caking and corning gunpowder to propellant grade, invent cannon, and refine those cannon into shoulder-fired flintlock muskets, all in a single year: okay, as DM you give the PCs foes and obstacles which are hard to defeat even with muskets.

As a player, though, I would generally not find those victories satisfying. In D&D, I'd rather win or lose with swords and sorcery, than resort to "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" methods.

IMO the core question - can a DM challenge characters? - hinges on whether the DM has players who want challenges.

I don't see the connection between knowing about in-game things like earth elementals to jumping to players introducing without challenge out-of-game knowledge like milled gunpowder. The firmer is within the scope of the game, the latter is not. Not to mention that a GM that allows players to dictate that gunpowder is even a thing, or that it's formulation is exactly like the real world's, or that there's no challenge at all in creating it has many, many more problems at their table than metagaming.

As to your core question, if the players don't want challenges, why is there even a game? However, taking this in the best light, of course the challenges presented in game should align with what the players want to be challenged with. Else, again, why is there a game?

G

Guest 6801328

I am indeed insisting on roleplaying exactly the way I like to role-play...

(snip)

If you have a problem with my opinions and preferences, then you can die mad about it. Or you can play at your table, and not at mine!

That's fine, but do you have to insult people who play a different way? Can't you just say, "I like to play this way, and like to play with people who share the same preference?"

Why do others have to be "unskilled" and "immature"?

5ekyu

Hero
When it comes to monsters, and spells and magic items, I don't actually have a huge issue with this kind of metagaming generally. First, this is the easiest and most obvious place where experienced players can bridge the player/character knowledge gap, and I'm in favour of that. Second, setting aside listed character skills for a moment, knowledge of monsters and magic represents the kind of professional knowledge one would expect an adventurer to acquire. Our actual game sessions only represent a fraction of a character's in-world social interactions and there are two especially large lacunae - downtime and travel time. In real life, what tends to happen when you put a bunch of people from the same profession in a bar, or on a bus, or in a training session? They tend to talk shop and swap stories. This is an obvious way for an adventurer to have gained the kind of knowledge we're talking about. While this might not fall inside D&D's specific skill mechanic that doesn't necessarily mean it's character inappropriate.

All that said, there are obviously instances where a player can go too far and it can certainly start to take away from a campaign or session - for example when it feels more like rule book reading and zero effort is made to role play the info into the game. That kind of table management is one of the GMs primary jobs though, so I can live with it when problems arise on a case by case basis.
Yeah, pretty much.

Not gonna buy into anybody's sense of "mature" this or "narrative weight" but for my worlds it's not uncommon for many of the major traits of creatures to be known. IRL I knew tons of monster lore by ten and also plenty of warnings about IRL dangers. In a fantasy world, likely they would be more similar.

It's not been uncommon for me to pass out stat blocks for foes pre-session, reflecting "common knowledge" or results of fact finding. In some cases, instead of stat blocks they got some useful descriptions. "The mage has been see casting fireball.... and ice storm".

But on top of that are frequent "exceptions exist."

When they were sent to stop hill giants, they were handed stat block for them and their dire wolves. Most fit that, but the leader ddmonic-tainted giant and his alpha wolf were exceptions.

Some info tho, is not common and so tharsxehen more cases of checks and research come into play.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't see the connection between knowing about in-game things like earth elementals to jumping to players introducing without challenge out-of-game knowledge like milled gunpowder.

He's just making a parade-of-horribles argument. Whenever proponents of his style shift from "I just like it this way" to "the other way is wrong", the only way to defend that position as some kind of objective truth is by giving examples of what could theoretically happen in an extreme case.

Celebrim

Legend
I agree, more or less. I don't like the remedy of the DM veto, the declaration "You can't do that." I prefer the remedy of another player asking "Wait, do our characters know - at this point - that thunder damage will be extra effective?" If the barbarian's player responds "No, my character doesn't know, he's making a lucky guess", then I still want the DM to decide what happens *in the fiction* on the basis of whether anyone in town has such scrolls and is willing to sell them (and at what price).

Sure. But, on the other hand, I don't expect the DM to decide that no scrolls are available purely on the grounds that a PC wants one. Fortunately, for me this sort of thing isn't usually a problem, as I have no magic shops to speak of and certainly not ones were arbitrary desirable items are available.

If this is metagaming, then it's the kind of metagaming which I consider useful, appropriate and part of a good story. It is functionally equivalent to playing a PC who is cautious and resourceful... which is one of the many possible forms of heroism.

Agreed. But I've heard of DMs that get upset at this kind of thing because they don't feel that the PC is intelligent or wise enough to be cautious and resourceful, and as such try to put a gate on those decisions because they claim that they don't think the decision is in character for the PC. Such is the perils of deciding that you have a veto on the player's play of their character - they might as well get up from the table and let you play both sides of the screen.

Another example of Riley-approved metagaming: the PCs meet someone in a tavern who wants to join their party, and the PCs find plausible reasons to welcome that person to their party, even though the PCs don't know that this stranger is the PC of a new player joining the group. If the PCs go through the motions of reasonably wary precautions (membership in a faction such as Order of the Gauntlet, or perhaps asking the newcomer to consent to Detect Thoughts or Zone of Truth), then they're establishing a higher level of IC plausibility, but they're still moving towards the answer of yes. (Depending on the table's convention about PCs with ulterior motives, that is.)

Yes, this is the iconic example of positive metagaming. Basically, any time playing your character in a straightforward method might derail everyone's fun, the mature player invents a plausible scene that stays mostly true to the character while maintaining everyone's fun. This burden falls equally on all the players, so if the Paladin's player is trying to reach a compromise, then the Thief's player should be as well.

As for the second, the IC welcoming of a new PC to the party, on the first session of a new player to the table, isn't the GM's fault, because no error has happened and thus no one is at fault.

While I agree to some extent, the GM has a responsibility prior to play for making sure that the players have a plausible motivation to work together, and for establishing a suitably compelling hook in the first session. A GM that leaves all the burden on the player's for coming up with why this group will get together and stay together, and leaves it up to the players to hook themselves isn't doing his job as well as he could. Still, many groups just deal with the weakness of the hook by handwaving right past the problem, but for the more thespian minded this can be unsatisfying. Also, I tend to judge a new group by how well they can handle this sort of RP - the group I have the most fond memories of playing with handled the problem of integrating characters with extraordinary gracefulness.

Tangent: could you perhaps recommend to me an article or essay which explains the Author stance and Actor stance, as you are using those terms?

I could point you to one, but I couldn't recommend it. Besides, the concepts are pretty easy. Briefly, as I use them:

Pawn Stance: The player chooses his propositions entirely according to his goals with no consideration of the character's goals.

Author Stance: The player chooses his propositions according to his own goals, but tries to invent a plausible color for why the character's goals concur with his goals.

Actor Stance: The player chooses his propositions according to what he perceives to be the character's goals based on his understanding of the character's knowledge and personality, even when or especially when those goals might conflict with or sacrifice some of the player's goals.

As I see things, "Pawn Stance" represents immature but not wrong play. It's a starting point and for some tables a sufficient stance for fun, and in cases where there is no meaningful difference between player and character goals - surviving a combat for example - there is really no difference between Pawn and Actor stances. Actor stance represents an obvious and intuitive mature form of play, but is not in and of itself a better form of play than Pawn Stance. The trick and what really separates highly skilled RPers from run of the mill ones, is there ability to recognize when Actor Stance if followed blindly will reduce the fun of the group collectively, and to therefore temporarily switch in a collaborative way to Author Stance to promote everyone's collective fun while still staying in character. Thus, the player that says, "But I'm just playing my character" regardless of how dysfunctional what he is proposing is, is really no more mature of a player than the player in Pawn Stance and arguably is probably less fun to play with. Nor is Author Stance inherently superior either, as in my experience a player that stays in Author Stance all the time is just annoying. What is clever and mature for negotiating a tricky table issue becomes saccharine and groan-worthy if employed in continuous or heavy handed manner. You'd be better off just using Pawn Stance and not dragging things out and slowing the pace of play down.

There is also "Director Stance" where the player attempts to achieve goals by playing the metagame rather than the game, such as by altering the fiction rather than making a proposition within the fiction. In most traditional RPGs, "Director Stance" is limited to the GM, but as you may have noted from the thread some participants are advocating for "Director Stance" as a valid stance for the player as well. In some Indy RPG's, the players have limited resources that they can use to gain temporary rights to "Director Stance" in order to further their interests as a player. Indy designers have frequently made the claim implicitly or explicitly that games which allow shared access to the director's chair are inherently more mature and sophisticated than those that don't, so the participants in the thread advocating for "Director Stance" in 5e D&D are basically trying to show how in doing so they are playing a more sophisticated game than those of us that don't. For my part, I've held the position that "Director Stance" isn't inherently more mature than the other stances and that a perquisite for allowing it into a game is in fact having mechanisms for fairly sharing it and limiting access to it. Beyond that, in my own experience with "Director Stance" in the hands of the players, I tend to find as a player that it doesn't live up to the claims made on the packaging. Specifically, my goals as a player tend to be that I want to have the experience of being a character in a great story, and "Director Stance" inherently interferes with that experience in a variety of ways. Games that advocate for "Director Stance" as a tool for the players tend to mistake the production of a transcript for the experience of participating in a story, and at least for me, I find production of a transcript not the same as participating in a story. Instead, I find that a game that focuses on the production of transcript as the primary artifact of play tend to create the experience of collaborative screenplay writing for the players, and not the experience of being in a story. There is an inherent loss of emersion that goes with "Director Stance" because you are being taken out of character, and certain aesthetics of play like Challenge are harmed by the ability to employ deus ex machina on your own behalf. Heck, I'm not even that big of a fan of "Director Stance" in a GM. Every GM needs a little bit of illusionism and stage craft, but if it becomes obvious you are employing it, then it harms the enjoyment of the players.

Celebrim

Legend

I have said before that I have no proposition filter on actions declared for OOC reasons. I never abuse a player for metagaming or using OOC character knowledge, and I tend to believe that if any metagame knowledge is a problem for the game, then that problem was created by the GM. So, I'm pretty extreme on the end of the spectrum that says, "It's not wrong to metagame."

And I don't think your example with gunpowder and muskets, which is a stock example for why using player knowledge is wrong, is or should be a problem in play. There are so many obvious solutions to the issue that don't require playing the PC that as an example, I find it pretty hollow.

a) Just because you have the ability to recite things, doesn't mean you have the hand skills. Players may have a solid understanding of how to create gunpowder (though IME that's really rare), but just because they do doesn't mean the character has the craftsmanship to accomplish the player's propositions. A player may have a solid idea of how to perform carpentry, but describing how do joinery and actually doing it is like the difference between watching a youtube video and actually doing it. Anyone that has done home crafts based on watching a youtube video knows that watching the video may help, but it won't make you a master plumber, carpenter, blacksmith or seamstress just having watched a video. It takes tons of practice, and as such appropriate skill checks can be and ought to be called for.

b) Just because you have great knowledge of real world physics, doesn't mean that the fantasy world will exactly correspond to the real world. In a world with magic, four elements, and all the rest, there is no reason to suspect that knowledge of real world chemistry necessarily makes you into a great fantasy alchemist. Not only may your real world knowledge fail to work in a fantasy world, but it may actually be actively dangerous. Thus, again, appropriate skill and knowledge checks can and ought to be called for, even if the player has a PhD in chemical engineering. Rather quickly, you can start undermining the player's expertise by having character knowledge checks inform the player that his perceptions are not correct for the world. If the player's motivation is a desire to win easily and dominate the game world, he's very likely to lose interest in the project.

c) Building up the infrastructure to produce gunpowder and musketry is in and of itself a potentially interesting campaign, and if the group collectively is interested in this, the simplest thing to do might simply be let them play that campaign and start throwing complications for them to solve. If the group really is interested in it, then everyone has fun. And if it is just one player stroking his own ego in a dysfunctional manner, then his spotlight stealing behavior is likely to lead to peer pressure to drop this storyline and just let the "real game" go on. At that point, the problem is revealed to an OOC character problem, and it's best to not try to deal with player problems IC.

d) In a world with magic in it in which you have full control over the rules of resolution, flintlock musketry is unlikely to be game breaking. The player not only has to build a character that can build muskets, but which also is skilled in their use, and the result is still not likely to be more powerful than simply building a wizard or other spell-caster. Nor are the armies of musketeers likely to be all that impressive in a world with wands of fireballs. You suggest that as a player you would generally not find those victories satisfying, as if in fact going the route of trying to recreate modern technology in a fantasy setting is easy mode. But I think on the other hand it's likely to prove much harder than just gaining XP and leveling up, and if the motivation of the player was to figure out the "cheat mode" of the game so that he could win without effort, the bigger problem you are likely to have at the table is that the player will be frustrated and angry when his "clever idea" which is anything but clever or creative doesn't lead to the plaudits and respect he was actually seeking. If the issue is you have a player that wants to "win" and doesn't want to be challenged, then the problem you are going to have is that player hasn't really thought through his plan as much as he thinks he has and then he's going to be angry that you don't just validate that yes he does win. And fundamentally, that's the real problem with gunpowder. It doesn't break the game. But a player whose goal of play is Validation and whose unconscious plan for achieving that is having a GM that just says "Yes" all the time, and which in his mind is forced to concede just how brilliant and unbeatable the player is, is going to be angry when you don't validate him as brilliant all the dang time.

G

Guest 6801328

Nor are the armies of musketeers likely to be all that impressive in a world with wands of fireballs.

"...and also roll a saving throw against that fireball for your equipment. Oh, right! You are carrying a small keg of gunpowder, aren't you....?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases