Avengers: Endgame SPOILER THREAD

Erekose

Eternal Champion
I enjoyed it but not as much as I enjoyed Infinity War - Endgame just wasn’t as coherent a film.

For a blockbuster film it was the quiet character moments that were the best - pretty much the first and last quarters of the film.

The only thing I particularly didn’t like was “Lebowski” Thor. Having him badly affected by Infinity War and pointlessly killing Thanos was interesting but it turned Thor into a joke character for virtually the whole of the remaining film (not withstanding the final fight with Thanos).

I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere but I couldn’t quite see how Thanos with no Infinity stones could take on Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America (and with Thor having Stormbreaker and Mjolnir) ...

Last edited:

ccs

41st lv DM
Some of the team combos were a bit dumb too - like why were Hawkeye and Natasha sent to Vormir when neither had been in space before AND Black Widow would have been more valuable on the New York mission than Tony was?

Because since the 1st Avengers movie we've been told, and shown, that Clint & Natasha share a personal bond just not present with the rest of the characters present at that point in the film. So if you've got to sacrifice someone you care deeply about to get the Soul Stone what other pairing are you going to send?
Any other available character you pick had some arc/function/scene THEY were integral to later in the movie.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere but I couldn’t quite see how Thanos with no Infinity stones could take on Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America (and with Thor having Stormbreaker and Mjolnir) ...

Thanos pretty effortlessly beats the Hulk in IW, then goes on to almost beat the Stark/Strange/Spidey/GotG team ambush without the stones. Using the stones has a visible tell fir each stone -- everything else is straight up Thanos.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
That was the equivalent of an old team up book event series with too many characters, poor writing, but very nice art. About 2 hours in I was thinking "I'm about ready to go..." And making Thor the comic relief wasn't my cup of tea. Haven't really enjoyed the last few Marvel flicks I've seen, admittedly that isn't very many of them. As a long term comic fan I think I'm about super hero movied out.

2 out of 5 flexes.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
*shrug* I liked beer gut Thor.

One because, oh look the events of the past actually affected someone, and here are the results. The other is because I'm sure it totally miffed some people who couldn't wait to get another look at those pecks and abs. Heh.

Otherwise, it was enjoyable. I could have probably done without the time travel myself, but really, what else could they do once Thanos destroyed the stones?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Because since the 1st Avengers movie we've been told, and shown, that Clint & Natasha share a personal bond just not present with the rest of the characters present at that point in the film. So if you've got to sacrifice someone you care deeply about to get the Soul Stone what other pairing are you going to send?
Any other available character you pick had some arc/function/scene THEY were integral to later in the movie.

yeah, from a meta-perspective I liked the narrative drama of those two going, but "in game" it means the Avengers knew a sacrifice was needed and were willing to make one (which is a No on both fronts). A more logical team would have been Natasha goes to New York for the stealth mission with Antman and Capt, send Tony to the Wizard and send Hulk to Vormir.

Its a minor quibble though, I liked it...

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Thanos pretty effortlessly beats the Hulk in IW, then goes on to almost beat the Stark/Strange/Spidey/GotG team ambush without the stones. Using the stones has a visible tell fir each stone -- everything else is straight up Thanos.

Hmm - I’m not so sure. Thanos has the Power Stone already in Infinity War when he fights Hulk and it’s not until the beginning of Endgame where we see him fight without any Infinity Stones and he’s dealt with pretty easily (albeit he’s nearly died recently destroying the Infinity Stones).

Which begs the question of how the Avengers so easily handle the individual stones when collecting them in Endgame. Guardians of the Galaxy had an ending that showed what happens if your half-Celestial and half-human and handle a single stone!

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Hmm - I’m not so sure. Thanos has the Power Stone already in Infinity War when he fights Hulk and it’s not until the beginning of Endgame where we see him fight without any Infinity Stones and he’s dealt with pretty easily (albeit he’s nearly died recently destroying the Infinity Stones).

Which begs the question of how the Avengers so easily handle the individual stones when collecting them in Endgame. Guardians of the Galaxy had an ending that showed what happens if your half-Celestial and half-human and handle a single stone!

There's a visual tell whenever a power stone is used. Thanos doesn't use it against Hulk, and is prevented from doing so against the ambush (until he isn't). Everything without a glow-y stone effect is just Thanos.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
There's a visual tell whenever a power stone is used. Thanos doesn't use it against Hulk, and is prevented from doing so against the ambush (until he isn't). Everything without a glow-y stone effect is just Thanos.

Sorry I didn’t ignore you when you said this before and I agree that when a stone specific power is used there’s a visual tell. However, as Thanos adds each stone to the gauntlet he appears to get suffused with power that takes him a moment to control. I.e. I think he does get a more generic physical power-up as well as when he uses the stone specific powers.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Sorry I didn’t ignore you when you said this before and I agree that when a stone specific power is used there’s a visual tell. However, as Thanos adds each stone to the gauntlet he appears to get suffused with power that takes him a moment to control. I.e. I think he does get a more generic physical power-up as well as when he uses the stone specific powers.

Well, it appears this is incorrect, as a zero stone Thanos appears to be capable of the same feats a multi-stone Thanos could do without the visual tells of stones activating. I mean, we could argue this, but I'd have to wonder if you're looking for consistency in the movie or just defending your prior assumptions.

Hulk and Tony both also had moments where they looked to be infused with power from the gauntlet, but that appeared to be more merely trying to survive the combined might of the stones, not a power-up, especially since neither of them evinced any greater ability or power afterwards.

Remove ads