There's An Official ALIEN RPG Coming! - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Frazzled
    Dracolich (Lvl 29)

Quote Originally Posted by trancejeremy View Post
    Tabletop RPGs now have "game modes"? And why would it possibly matter if they finish a scenario in a single session or not?
    WOIN has Cinematic Mode. It changes a few core rules to create a different style of play.

Tabletop RPGs now have "game modes"? And why would it possibly matter if they finish a scenario in a single session or not?
    I assume "cinematic mode" will be significantly more deadly. If you don't plan on playing a campaign, your character might get mutilated spectacularly at the end of the session as well

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Quote Originally Posted by schneeland View Post
    I assume "cinematic mode" will be significantly more deadly.
    My guess would be on the opposite.

"Cinematic" would enable blockbuster action where the heroes survive most anything.

In the context of Aliens, of course, all bets are off!

In fact, can an Aliens game really be considered a success if player characters doesn't die all the time...?

Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    My guess would be on the opposite.
    "Cinematic" would enable blockbuster action where the heroes survive most anything.
    The webpage says
    Quote Originally Posted by alien-rpg.com View Post
    Cinematic play is based on pre-made scenarios that emulate the dramatic arc of an ALIEN film. Designed to be played in a single session, this game mode emphasizes high stakes and fast and brutal play. You are not all expected to survive.
    So I guess the cinematic part is that you get to live until the end and don't die in the first 5 minutes

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    Just not sure that it will translate into a great game. But we will see.
    I have similar concerns. I only saw Alien and Prometheus, and liked both, but worry that this game won't have enough diversity in terms of enemies and scenarios.
    XP lowkey13 gave XP for this post

Game Masticator
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    The Alien saga isnt about superheroes with superior firepower, says game director Hrenstam. Its about placing ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances, and testing the endurance of the human spirit against inhuman atrocities and impossible odds . . .

Emulating the dramatic arc of an Alien film, these survival challenges promise escalating stakes and fast (often brutal) gameplay where most players arent expected to last the night. Their first cinematic scenario, Chariot of the Gods written by sci-fi novelist Andrew E.C. Gaska (Death of the Planet of the Apes), is included in the core manual. More cinematic modules and game expansions are already in production, with direct tie-ins to Foxs future plans for the franchise slated for 2020 and beyond.
    Impossible odds? That's when D&D players throw up their hands and say "well why don't you just kill my character then?" I've seen it happen. Heck, I've probably done it. So I'm expecting the game to take a step back from role-playing, and put players in a strategic role where their goal is to reach certain win conditions, regardless of individual lives. Much like war pigs.

Or, they somehow make a "game" out of "testing the endurance of the human spirit." Anyway, getting snippets of the lore through modules sounds like a lot of fun.

Game modes appeal to the video game generation. I mean: the first-person-shooter generation. I mean: the post-Open-GL generation. I mean. . . you know what I mean.

The single-session thing might be a recognition that there's no Alien TV show, so Alien fans are used to getting their fix in movie-length chunks. And, I hope, it means you also get a single-session character. The expendable kind.
    Modular, open source, free role-playing rules: Modos RPG
    modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com
    Tweets: @MichaelTwtr

I have an official Aliens RPG dating back to the 90's

Just play Traveler the way most played it back in the day. lol.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Paragon Lost View Post
    Just play Traveler the way most played it back in the day. lol.
    Name:  ripley and the plan.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  56.3 KB

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

I remember the Aliens game back in the 90's(?), hopefully it will be better supported.