Season 9 Adventure changes

jasper

Rotten DM
Does anyone have a copy they can post here? My firewall is either not allowing the Dragon mag write up or the main site is down.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's an image and not text which can be copied.

Merric summarized most of the important changes here.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Cut and paste from the article. Thanks maxed.
D&D Adventurers League play is divided into story seasons. Since the beginning of the program there have been eight story seasons, each one focusing on and supporting a given adventure product(s) released by the D&D team.

In addition to the content offered by the D&D team at Wizards and the supporting adventure content created by the D&D Adventurers League administrative team, there is also Community Created Content (CCC) created by and for specific events, by authorized event organizers.

As we move forward, we’d like to offer cool and unique play opportunities for each story. Sometimes this might take the form of variant character creation guidelines, sometimes it might involve specialized magical items as treasure, and sometimes it might even include unique play opportunities.

To facilitate this in a manner that provides equal opportunity to everyone, starting with DDAL Season 9 (beginning in September 2019) we’re going to ask players to create a new character (or new characters, for those of you who play more frequently) at the beginning of each season.

Your new characters will be able to play ALL the content from the new season, they may play any Community Created Content (CCC), and they may participate in the Dreams of the Red Wizards non-seasonal campaign. In all such play, your character will receive rewards (story awards as well as treasure and advancement checkpoints) normally. (You can also read the announcement of Dreams of the Red Wizards in Dragon+!)

While you can certainly play that Season 9 character in an adventure from an older season, the character may not gain access to story awards or magic item unlocks from those earlier seasons. They may only gain story awards and magic item unlocks from the season for which they’re built. Treasure and advancement checkpoints will be earned as usual.

Likewise, story rewards received during a given season can only be utilized when playing content from that season, and if your character has a story-based magic item, we will provide an alternate version for use in adventures that are not part of the season your character was built to play in. This includes CCC and Dreams of the Red Wizards adventure content.

For answers to a few Frequently Asked Questions regarding Seasonality, and to learn about a bonus for new Season 9 characters, read the full article in Dragon+.

pogre

Legend
A lot of folks upset on Facebook about this morning. Not a big deal for me since I only run DDAL at Conventions and do not have a character.

Adamant

Explorer
The big problem for me is what if the new adventure sucks? At my local store Dragon Heist and DMM just aren't being played because people liked the old adventures more. We have a group doing CoS, a group doing OOtA, and on a different day we have groups doing SKT, RoT, and a group just finishing LMoP. The new rules would wreck the enjoyment of old modules because we don't get to keep any magic items even while playing.

MiraMels

Explorer
The Dragon+ article was unclear about this, but Merric's explanation that was linked earlier explains that you choose which season your character belongs to when you make them (and i'm assuming retroactively for existing characters?)

So you can still make a character next year, put them in Season 4, and then play through the Curse of Strahd content, not problem.

jasper

Rotten DM
Story Awards come in 5 types.
Major only 2 of these retire your pc.
Disappear after use, or at end of season/trilogy.
Spend down time days for a benefit which may have a limited use.
Or advantage/disadvantage limited to a location, race, or too specific to be used outside the season. Lastly small benefit/penalty like crash space, free beer, or Walmart charges me extra. So limiting Story Awards is not needed

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
A lot of folks upset on Facebook about this morning. Not a big deal for me since I only run DDAL at Conventions and do not have a character.
How nice. I DM locally over 95% and only have 10 PCS. 1 tier 3, 3 tier 2 and the rest tier 1. I am also the only local dm running Season 8 modules; the rest fled after 08-04. Only 1 of my pcs ran only in a specific season. The rest are blend of various seasons and con created content.
So locking a pc into a season and not getting unlocks and story awards for out season will hurt my pcs. Hey Pogre is running season 5 at the con. The answer would be no ccc's. and the current season.
One of advantages of AL is I can season hop with out it being a pain. Hey jasper,Bill is running Black road DDAL05-02 for 2 new people and we need a third; bring out a tier 1 pc to help.

What I am thinking with what I can find currently is. Allow your new to season lock, if you just play that season, then at the end of the season you get free magic items and boons. If you don't season lock you still get the unlocks and story awards but are free to farm other adventures.

Undrhil

Explorer
The Dragon+ article was unclear about this, but Merric's explanation that was linked earlier explains that you choose which season your character belongs to when you make them (and i'm assuming retroactively for existing characters?)

So you can still make a character next year, put them in Season 4, and then play through the Curse of Strahd content, not problem.

You could always do this and it used to be how you determined what source(s) you could use for your character before they came up with PHB+1.

"Allowing characters to go back and participate in previous story seasons to gain treasure and story unlocks breaks immersion..."

You know what else breaks immersion? Drop out and drop in game play like what Adventurer's League provides to allow for anyone to play an AL legal table at any game store or convention. Even if that character has never stepped foot in Chult, a tier-appropriate character can magically appear in the final session (or sessions) of that hard cover and no one will bat an eye. That's *VERY* immersive, right there! </sarcasm>

Last edited:

Remove ads