GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 3

Zardnaar

Legend
the tactics in the battle seemed suprisingly stupid - why would you wait till the enemy is literally at your gate before you light the fire barrier? wouldnt you have wanted bigger bonfires and a lot more burning trenches and flaming barriers far away from the walls both to slow the dead down and provide better visibility in the dark? not to mention oil down the walls and more fire inside the keep too.
and why wait until your front line is overrun before you start strafing the enemy with dragonfire rather than following the first charge?

nonetheless Go Lyanna, Go Theon, Go Arya!!!!

(oh and Rhaegal landed without crashing, he's injured but not dead yet)

That is what I was saying to my wife lol, the tactics were stupid. They threw away the Dothraki and they could have held them back and launched more than one volley from the trebuchets (which are siege weapons not field artillery). The Night King didn't have to throw himself away either, They could have also unleashed the Dothraki once they were assaulting the walls as well.

Lyanna went out like a boss. Theon's suicide charge at the end was a great moment. And of course, Arya, dang! Love that they foreshadowed that move back in the sparring match between her and Brienne.

I wasn't sure how Jorah got to Daenerys at the end, but considering how high the piles of corpses of the dead were, he probably could've just jumped from the top of the walls. It was a noble end, but one I certainly expected.

Here's hoping Tyrion has some brainpower left, because I've no idea how they're going to deal with Cersei's forces. Sure, they have two dragons, but both are pretty banged up.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
They were already stretched thin on everything, including time. I don't think there was more they could have done. And the dothraki were supposed to be invincible on an open field. That's what everyone said, and I think they really would believe that.

Kaodi

Hero
I enjoyed watching it for the most part but in many ways it was intensely dissatisfying. The show where all of those people managed to survive despite being surrounded by literally enough undead to swamp them is a show where Ned Stark never would have been beheaded the way he was. I am back to hoping for The Winds of Winter again so we can see how this is really supposed to go. I wanted people who have been around since the beginning to die because that is how you know the stakes were real in the story.

Mallus

Legend
For those of you disappointed by the number of named character survivors, remember the gang may have defeated the icy, bite-y personifications of death itself but up next are the forces of human ambition and cruelty. Out of the frying pan, into the fire...

This episode just worked for me. Began tense, only got worse. I wonder if a lot of its power came from the previous episode and its slow and careful underlining of the all the characters relationships and the personal journeys they've been on over the course of the series.

I also wonder how much of my reaction is due favoring shadow detail and a slightly higher gamma in my TVs settings :).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Finally saw it!

Is it just me or does the Night King look like Darth Maul on a cold day?

Knew they'd Phantom Menace* it. Take out all the battledroids by chopping off the head.

Good episode. I too expected more deaths, but I wasn't hoping for them. Felt bad for the ones who did die.

So that's the culmination of the 7-year Winter is Coming plot? Now three episodes vs the Lannisters?

*I think Independence Day did it first, though.

They got this episode completely wrong, in my opinion.

No one in the whole episode made a decision. There was no character growth or emotional fall-out, except maybe for Jorah's death. The tactics of the heroes were moronic. The staging of the action was inconsistent, with undead appearing at one moment unlimited and insurmountable, and then shortly thereafter sparse and under control. The 'quiet and tense' scene inside Winterfell was illogical since there was still a lot of fighting going on outside which should have been audible. The dragon battle was impossible to follow and made me constantly wonder why the good dragons weren't breathing fire. The undead in the crypts did literally nothing on screen, and no one ever fought back against them. I'm not sure whether surviving off-screen to things that ought to kill you is worse than dying off-screen.

There were no big hero moments. There were no betrayals or twists. And the White Walkers -- the danger that was present from the first scene of the show -- is now dealt with, leaving behind the Mountain and :):):):)ing Euron Greyjoy as the only real threats of note.

Meh. Strongly meh. Sound and fury signifying nothing.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. Euron Greyjoy as the main villain isn’t appealing.

Then again, I was never that interested in the Night King. I’ve seen The Walking Dead. Cersei is much more interesting.

The Night King had this mystery behind him: "What's his deal? What motivates him? What will he do if he wins?"

I assumed they'd reveal something that would surprise us.

But apparently he was just an evil ice robot, with no depth and no point.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases