GAME OF THRONES SEASON 8--Final Run-- Part 3

As brought up earlier, I would have loved to see some of the other characters face off against the other White Walkers (several of our heroes have valerian steel swords after all). The way it was handled in this episode, the other White Walkers didn't get to do anything except walk behind the Nightking and die.

I can understand that they want the episode to look cool first and fore most, but when even lay persons comment on the lack of tactics, then you've goofed up. Also, I really wanted a cool twist in this episode. Have them lose for example.

But not all of it was bad. There were some amazing cinematic moments. I loved Arya's stealth bit in the library, and the way Melisandre met her end... to name a few.

Mercurius

Legend
Or how about this. The Night King dies and all of the army and dragon die, but the White Walker survive and take off, hiding out for the rest of the season. A spin-off series starts a year or so later, when the different White Walkers create "terrorist cells," and the rulers (Jon? Dany? Sansa?) create a special force to hunt them down, led by...the Hound.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
It struck me earlier today that the Night King wasn't ever really the main antagonist, he's the foil to the main antagonist. Which is and always was people. Personified by Cersei and Euron at this point, but they could have been any of the bloody strivers trying for the Iron Throne. So I'm good with NK going down quick to Arya's knife work.

It also occurred to me that I was fine w/the "bad" tactics employed by Team Living because the whole point of those battle sequences was the living *lose*. They had no hope against this monstrous existential-threat-made-decaying-flesh army of death incarnate.

Had Team Living *triumphed* in battle using poor tactics, I might feel differently. Since the good outcome depended on a death-cult trained prophesied princess and not correct siege engine placement, again, I'm good.

Also, the bad tactics made for lovely cinema, especially the emotional whipsaw of Melisandre lighting the swords followed by the swords winking out in the darkness. Had I been watching a Twitch stream of Total War: Westeros and not HBO, I'd judge using different criteria.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yes, that's an excellent point. They use bad tactics, and they pay for it. If Arya hadn't Phantom Menaced the evil army at the end, it would have simply been a massacre. It's not a mistake -- that's the plot.

And you just have to look at real life for similar examples. Charge of the Light Brigade, anybody?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I realize that. It doesn't make it less silly, and of course it is important how it is implemented. Defeating the Night King just seemed too...easy. Such build-up and then, voila, done - and his entire army with him. Winter is no longer coming in one sneaky move by Arya.

Yeah. I think summing it up in Too easy or voila, done is over simplifying what was sacrificed. Those were whole armies being chewed up, spat out, and then raised back up to kill what remained of their once-allies. The impact was there, as well as the stakes. Kill the necromancer and defeat his thralls in one fell stab.

pukunui

Legend
Good points, everyone! It reminds me of all those times where the PCs take out the BBEG more quickly and easily than the DM expected them too. That can feel anticlimactic too.

Let’s just hope the last three episodes top this one!

For one thing, now that Bran’s no longer in immediate danger, I’d like to see him actually do something useful with his powers again!

I kind of feel like Jaime, Tyrion, and Cersei need their own showdown. That family dynamic needs a payoff.
Yeah, fair enough! So what do you think will happen with Bronn?

Heh. Maybe Arya will change her face, come Cersei, and rule Westeros!
Maybe!

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I was thinking today. Where did the Night King's white walker buddies come from? We see him leaving Jon to be overrun, as he closes in on the gates to Winterfell.....all by himself. He goes inside. None of his buddies are seen in any of the battle scenes inside Winterfell, yet when he comes up to Bran he has his full posse with him.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was thinking today. Where did the Night King's white walker buddies come from? We see him leaving Jon to be overrun, as he closes in on the gates to Winterfell.....all by himself. He goes inside. None of his buddies are seen in any of the battle scenes inside Winterfell, yet when he comes up to Bran he has his full posse with him.

It doesn't matter. How dare you expect the episode to make sense after 8 seasons. A few tweaks we're needed imho like some of them killing white walkers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases