Running RPG games in historical or hard science-fiction settings

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Don't worry, use them as a resource. It is okay to give up some narrative control, and be informed by the players.

+1. Players who know too much are your friends, not your enemies. You can ask them to inform you when you get to a rough patch, or you can ask them to actually narrate part of the story/setting. If a PC can't handle player knowledge properly, you throw in a twist to keep him on his toes. (If a player can't handle twists, he's probably playing the wrong type of game.)

The GM's job isn't to know everything - it's just to make things fun.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
2. Players who are far more knowledgeable about the science and technology depicted in the setting

I think that there are only two good options for dealing with issue 2. One, which I think many would recommend, is to simply state that we are making assumptions and hand-waving a lot so that we can just play the game. GM-rule trumps physics. Option two is to work arguing the science into the game. Being the geek that I am, I like number two. The idea is that if someone can convince me of the scientific possibility or impossibility of something happening in the game, within a brief window of time, they can change the outcome. The Expanse game already has fortune points built into the system so I would like work with that, buy awarding temporary fortune points. Or, I would would allow them to rule the drama die and get that many stunt point that they have to use for their action related to the test for which they are making a scientific argument about.

Anyone else have experiences with this? How did you handle it and what are your lessons learned?

Running a lot of sci-fi, I use the second solution.

Don't plan things so far in advance that you become locked into an outcome, and be good with letting them win, because there always will be a next time. I'm happy when the players surprise me, and do something unexpected, or find a way to use something to the advantage that I had not thought about.

As far as understanding science, the internet and wikipedia is a great resource, with a little research, sometimes you can come up with even better twists using science too.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yeah, this makes good sense. I'd love to hear an after-action report after you try this out!

Thanks. Won't be until June, however. Wife and kids visiting the in laws out of country for the month of June--I need to stay and work :-(

But it will give me a chance to run a bunch of one-shots for systems that have sat waiting on my shelves for some love. :)

I'll try to remember to post an update then.

MNblockhead

Don't worry, use them as a resource. It is okay to give up some narrative control, and be informed by the players.

I agree. I'm already like this with rules. This is a group game. I'm the judge or referee, but I'm happy to be challenged on a rule or, in this case, my understanding of science.

But it does want me to limit running games lite The Expanse for friends and not strangers.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

You're right to be concerned. I've done a lot of game design work in historical settings especially ancient Egypt, 1920s Egypt, medieval Europe, and now the 17th century Mediterranean. It can be hard going. I encourage people to be flexible and not try too hard to make everything right. That said, Ken Hite says the the best thing to do with an RPG campaign is to set it in the real world, and I think he might be right. Tapping into historical things that people recognize can help make the world seem vast and real.

Science fiction is the hardest because it's so hard for people to agree on what future technology can or cannot do.

I have found that a fantasy setting INSPIRED by the real world to be the easiest to run. I'm blessed to have had the opportunity to travel, live, and work in several very different countries and to have an interest in and have studied a lot of world history. I'll often base fantasy locations on real-life societies or blends of societies.

If I were to run something based in real history, I would probably state that this is real history in an alternative universe. It is very similar, but not exact. There may be some small differences.

Science fiction can be hard if it is hard science, especially if it is hard scifi based in the near future. Double so if you have players with engineering degrees and work in relevant professions.

One of my friends is an engineer for railways (not the driving kind of engineer, the design safety features kind). Running a train heist scene with him would be a nightmare. He also designs electric vehicles in his garage as a hobby. Another gamer in my group used to design prosthetic limbs. And of course half the people I play with are computer software designers. I'll avoid running cyberpunk settings. If we are going to play Shadow Run, one of them will need to run it and then I can sit back and argue about guns with them. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads