D&D 5E Please help with my Ranger character.

Druids don't get proficiency with bows, but elves do.

I have a player in my group who has an elven (hunter) ranger who is an archer with the Sharpshooter feat. They proved very effective DPS, but he confessed to me the other day that he was finding the character boring to play.

I would suggest a Rogue (scout) 3 /Fighter (battlemaster) as a character with a similar theme that might be more interesting to play.

In terms of leveling, I would at the very least wait until after getting to 5th level as a Ranger so that you can have Extra Attack. If multiclassing you feel is actually necessary for this character, I'd probably go Druid over Rogue, if only because Wildshape for exploration is less redundant than Sneak Attack would be (with Hunters and Monster Slayers both already getting damage bonuses from either their subclass abilities or Hunter's Mark.)

I completely agree with you on the leveling aspect it might be wise to not only do that but also to multiclass as a sorcerer or spell caster in general

gyor

Legend
Rogue(scout)3/fighter1: better at "rangering" than a ranger.

Take archery, goes great with Cunning action and wood elf hiding feature, in natural enviroment you have good chance of having advantage every round.

Alternate none Ranger class Ranger would be Arcane Archer, with the Ritual Caster: Druid feat and maybe magic innate feat: Druid. You'd end up three Druid Cantrips, 1 regular Druid Spell, and a bunch of Druid Rituals, fighter abilities, and magic archery.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
A different way to go that might be cool is to do a two or three level dip in Warlock, with Archfey as your patron. Having a fey of summer court as your patron would still be very much in character but it's a much less common combo than Druid. It fits in really well with Gloomstalker too.

aco175

Legend
Some of this may depend on how long you are planning to play the PC. I would be tempted to stick ranger since that is what you said you wanted to play. Like what others said, stick ranger until 5th level to get the extra attack. Then feel free to branch out, but your spells will suffer.

ccs

41st lv DM
A different way to go that might be cool is to do a two or three level dip in Warlock, with Archfey as your patron. Having a fey of summer court as your patron would still be very much in character but it's a much less common combo than Druid. It fits in really well with Gloomstalker too.

Yes, as a Warlock you can also take an invocation that let's you at-will speak with animals.

jgsugden

Legend
A fun build, from a play standpoint for an archer is ranger to 5 and then (lore) bard to 15. You get a lot of options and can fill in a lot of roles in the campaign.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases