RPG Crowdfunding News - Lancer, Old-School Essentials, Odyssey of the Dragonlords, One Child’s Heart

There are over 20 RPG and RPG-related crowdfunding projects ending between May 10th and 16th. Spotlighted below are 11 of those including 3 that raised six-figures worth of pledges (as of this writing).

Lancer.jpg

Lancer by Massif Press

• END DATE: Sat, May 11 2019 2:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): An original system
  • PROJECT TYPE: Core rulebook
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $60 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the core rulebook plus stretch goals
Lancer is a mud-and-lasers RPG about mechs and the pilots who crew them. Narrative play, gritty tactical combat and deep customization. Ten thousand years after the climate crash that ended the Anthropocene, a survivor humanity rebuilt itself and spread to the stars. Into this roiling galaxy you take your role as a mech pilot — from cold-blooded mercenaries to honor-bound Baronic cuirassiers, hardscrabble Union regulars to professional Constellar Midnights, Far Field teams at the uncanny edge of known space to the ever-wandering Albatross. Operating with a wealth of licenses from one of the galaxy’s Big Five fabricators, you and your friends play a tight-knit squad of pilots on campaign — comrades together in a galaxy of danger and hope. Will you fight for Union, working to rectify the crimes of previous administrations? Will you run contracts for a corpro-state, working to advance private interests while lining your pockets? Will you fight to liberate your people from all masters, human or otherwise? Or will you fight only for yourself? Lancer is a tabletop roleplaying game that prioritizes four pillars of play: Rules-light, fluid, narrative play while outside of the mech, tactical mech combat that promotes creative tactics, teamwork and explosive moments of action, modular, progression-based mech customization where narrative, setting, and character is imbued in the gear, systems, and equipment your character chooses, and a play loop that encourages narrative advancement. Mechanically, aspects of Lancer’s play owe particular thanks to existing media for inspiration: Schwalb Entertainment’s Shadow of The Demon Lord for its Accuracy/Difficulty system; the Armored Core series for its modular mech customization; and to John Harper’s Blades In The Dark for its downtime systems.”

Relics: A Game of Angels by Steve Dee

• END DATE: Fri, May 10 2019 5:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Fugue system
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: AU$80 + S/H for the PDF and hardcover of the core rulebook, Tarot deck, and stretch goals
“You are an angel. Thousands of years ago you fell to earth because you believed it was the best way to fight evil and help humanity, but found yourself lost without God's guidance and your angelic strength. In all the time since you have not figured out how to win the war against demons, nor how to fit into this strange world of flesh and matter. Now God is gone and the war might be over, and you can never go home again. The powers of angels and demons are returned anew, and with that power, an angel could rule the world. But without God, what is worth fighting for, and what sacrifices are worth the victory? How many sins can be forgiven to save the world? Relics is a new game by multi-award winning game designer and industry veteran Steve Dee (aka Steve Darlington) (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd and 3rd ed, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Doctor Who Adventures in Time And Space RPG, Vampire: The Requiem and more). It uses the tarot-based "Fugue" system, first developed by James Wallis in the critically acclaimed Alas Vegas. Players use flashbacks to create the backstory of their characters, discovering the truth about themselves only as they play through the game. Players become unreliable narrators of their own past as they face the philosophical questions of their unknown future. The Relics rulebook will be lavishly illustrated throughout, creating a book of approximately 250 pages, bound in hardback.”

The Dungeon - Set of 2 Modular Books of Battle Mats for RPG by BattleMats

• END DATE: Sat, May 11 2019 6:00 PM EDT.
  • PROJECT TYPE: Maps
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: £25 + S/H for the PDF and print of the books plus stretch goals and a 5e adventure
“Adventure on 2 adaptive Books of Battle Mats which can align to create 1 epic endlessly evolving dungeon map. Wipe clean, portable, and big. Inspire a new campaign of adventures on this adaptable and portable two book dungeon set which will evolve with your adventure. Risk everything or play it safe as you negotiate deadly traps, endless mazes of corridors and epic great halls all designed to keep your party inspired and rolling through our devilishly difficult dungeon designs! The Dungeon Books of Battle Mats are a pair of modular Battle Map Books that combine to give you up to an epic 2’x2’ encounter battle mat while still fitting in your bag and on your bookshelf alongside your rule books. Modular designs line up seamlessly to allow you to form a dungeon for any encounter! Hundreds of combinations, size and shape options, all wipe clean and fully customisable for your adventure.”

Old-School Essentials by Necrotic Gnome

• END DATE: Sun, May 12 2019 2:00 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): OSR
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €70 + S/H for PDFs and hardcovers of all of the books
“A modular adventure game in the tradition of the beloved 1980s role-playing rules. 100% old-school rules, 100% modern design. Old-School Essentials is an adventure role-playing game of exploration, danger, monsters, and magic. The game is intentionally rules-light, putting the focus of play on imagination, improvisation, and fun. The rules are optimised for ease of use at the table, with meticulous attention to wording and layout clarity. What's more, Old-School Essentials is 100% compatible with the classic Basic/Expert game from 1981, meaning that decades of adventure are at your fingertips! The Old-School Essentials Black Box: A game box containing five deluxe, sewn-binding, A5 (Digest sized), hardcover rule books presenting the complete rules of the game and everything you need to run games in the classic fantasy genre. The Old-School Essentials Rules Tome: A deluxe all-in-one, sewn-binding, A5 (Digest sized), hardcover tome containing the complete rules of the game and everything you need to run games in the classic fantasy genre.”

A.R.M.zine by Reign Dragon Press (SMHWorlds, a columnist on EN World)

• END DATE: Tue, May 14 2019 9:30 AM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $4 for the PDF of the zine
A.R.M.zine is a Fanzine dedicated to teaching kids (of all ages) how to play tabletop Role-Playing Games. An entry level RPG for all kinds of people in all kinds of places that is aimed towards getting kids into the RPG scene as players and as creators. There are so many great role-playing games out there it can be hard to know where one start, especially with kids. Many of the games also come with cultural assumptions that can seem to create barriers to entry for folks because of their race or religion or self-identity. We at Reign Dragon Press do not believe this is a good way to get people into role-playing games. It sends the wrong message on who is allowed into the RPG sphere, which is of course everyone! Everyone is allowed to play and to create so let's make a system that encourages them to do so. As a 5.5x8.5 RPG Zine, you’ll get a fully playable and simple RPG system for use in any genre and any experience level, kid friendly GM advice, tables for random adventure creation, and ARM-Sheets for Characters and Non-Player Characters.”

Aventuria - Inn of the Black Boar by Ulisses Spiele

• END DATE: Tue, May 14 2019 10:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): The Dark Eye Card Game
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure Card Game
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €61 + S/H for the core rulebook and supplements
“A second edition and new expansions for the Aventuria Adventure Card Game based on the fantastic setting of The Dark Eye. Designed with easy-to-learn rules for solo, cooperative, and competitive play, the English edition of Aventuria has been winning over fans and selling out at conventions for over two years now. The new Second Edition lets us bring the game to an even wider audience, and the full-sized expansion Inn of the Black Boar brings a whole new level of adventuring to old and new fans alike! The Aventuria Adventure Card Game is a fast-paced card game for 1-4 players, ages 14+, where each player takes the role of a hero from Aventuria.”

Once Upon a Time in Jianghu by Wunderwerks and Gallant Knight Games

• END DATE: Tue, May 14 2019 1:01 PM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Powered by the Apocalypse
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $7 for the PDF of the core rulebook
Once Upon a Time in Jianghu is a wuxia-inspired roleplaying game that is Powered by the Apocalypse. It is a heroic and tragic game of Honorable Heroes standing against the tyrannical corrupted emperor. Players create their characters from a mix of five key Archetypes: Artisan, Doctor, Priest, Scholar, and Warrior, which defines their Traits and personality. The game is a narrative-facing system and forgoes character stats and health levels, replacing them instead with narrative controls to define which encounters cause Trauma or Scar the personalities involved. For instance, a punch can leave a broken nose...or instill a greater sense of respect for one's opponent's strength. This game is brought to you by a partnership between WUNDERWERKS and GALLANT KNIGHT GAMES. Once Upon a Time in Jianghu features Tobie Abad alongside top tier industry talent such as Elizabeth Chaipraditkul, Sen-Foong Lim, Banana Chan, Rob Abrazado, and much more! Once Upon a Time in Jianghu is an exciting new step forward for all three game companies as we work closer together to share the burden of game design, publishing, and production. Tobie Abad has written, developed and designed the world and mechanics.”

The Koryo Hall of Adventures 5e Compatible Campaign Setting by Red Scales Publishing

• END DATE: Thu, May 16 2019 6:19 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Campaign setting
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: €31 + €12 US shipping for the PDF and hardcover of the campaign setting
“A new campaign setting compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition (5e) based on Korean locations, myths and legends. Within this treasured tome, you will find a complete D&D fantasy campaign setting deeply inspired by the richness and beauty of Korean culture and history. In the Koryo Hall of Adventures campaign setting, you can explore four uniquely detailed lands within the continent of Jeosung. Roam the mystical forest wilderness of Haguiliesta or head to the city and meddle in the mercenary politics of Daewanguk. Heroes (or fools) may attempt to infiltrate the hermit kingdom of Haenamguk or brave the frigid peaks of Noonnara. The Koryo Hall of Adventures campaign setting has several points that make it an all-inclusive, non-racist setting which allows players to feel comfortable and ensure that everyone will have fun. The book also contains tools to facilitate communication amongst the players and with the Game Master.”

One Child's Heart by Unicorn Motorcycle Games

• END DATE: Thu, May 16 2019 10:00 AM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $12 for the PDF
One Child's Heart is a tabletop roleplaying game about empathy, hope, and human connection in the face of childhood crisis. There are pivotal moments in every child’s life that shape who they become. One Child's Heart is a tabletop roleplaying game that invites players to take the role of child welfare professionals participating in a new mental health care memory exploration experiment. The Central Limbic Engagement Recovery System (CLERS – pronounced, “clears”) brings characters into the memories of these key moments to give support and guidance to a child who needs both. This is not a game about trauma or an invitation to tragedy tourism. One Child’s Heart is intended to be an empathy-building experience with a message of hope and human connection. It’s a game where the characters’ only goal is to support and love an imaginary child who is struggling with their life circumstances. I wrote this game as a love letter to the child I was, a message of hope for my own children, and a reminder of the power of empathy to everyone that plays it. One Child’s Heart will be printed in a beautiful 6” x 9” matte cover book. With stunning interior black and white art from a variety of talented artists and a gorgeous color cover by Jabari Weathers, the book will feature all you need to play the game, navigate play safely and inclusively.”

Fight! 2nd Edition by Divine Madness Press

• END DATE: Thu, May 16 2019 10:41 AM EDT.
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of the core rulebook
“The revised, expanded, and clarified edition of the TTRPG designed specifically to tell the stories of fighting game characters. Fight! 2nd edition is a revision and enhancement of the best tabletop emulation of the characters, combat, and stories found in traditional 2-D and 3-D fighting games. This genre shares some similarities with superhero RPGs, as the main characters are powerful, possess powers beyond the limit of human capacity, and face off against similar characters in stories where the fate of their neighborhood, city, world, or even the universe is at stake. Characters in this game are all Fighters. There is no “zero-to-hero” progression here; the Fighters start the game as the most powerful martial artists in the setting and are only really challenged by another one of their own. The 2nd edition core rules are about 40% longer than the 1st edition; the book is presently over 300 pages long.”

Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book by Arcanum Worlds

• END DATE: Thu, May 16 2019 10:59 AM EDT.
  • SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
  • PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
  • MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $80 + S/H for PDF and hardcover of the adventure, PDF and softcover of the player’s guide, maps, GM screen, and digital stretch goals
“An epic adventure book for 5E. Blends classic fantasy with Greek mythology. From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate I & II and KOTOR. At the dawn of time, a war between the gods and Titans left the world of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon. The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance. You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come... if you survive. From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: Origins, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Odyssey of the Dragonlords is a ~280-page adventure book, packed with full-color maps and illustrations. Our goal is to create a hardcover book that you can be proud to place alongside the official 5th Edition adventure books on your bookshelf.”

If you like what we do here at EN World (the Forums, Columns, News, ENnies, etc) and would like to help support us to bring you MORE please consider supporting our Patreon. Even a single dollar helps! This article was contributed by Egg Embry as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. Please note that Egg is a participant in the OneBookShelf Affiliate Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to DriveThruRPG.

Egg Embry

Egg Embry

Another great week of KS'ers, especially if you're a 5e player. I see that Odyssey is already up in the $250K region or thereabouts, and for the $80 you're getting a good bit of loot.

That said, I and all of my friends have already backed Lancer. The core book is going to be upwards of 500 pages, so about City of Mist size. Not a book you can read in bed. (I found that out with CoM. Fall asleep a little and you'll break your nose with the book.) There's beta documents out already for Lancer and it looks really cool. As of today they are at $320K with 9 days to go and all stretch goals unlocked. I can't wait to play that one.

Another great week of KS'ers, especially if you're a 5e player. I see that Odyssey is already up in the $250K region or thereabouts, and for the $80 you're getting a good bit of loot.

That said, I and all of my friends have already backed Lancer. The core book is going to be upwards of 500 pages, so about City of Mist size. Not a book you can read in bed. (I found that out with CoM. Fall asleep a little and you'll break your nose with the book.) There's beta documents out already for Lancer and it looks really cool. As of today they are at $320K with 9 days to go and all stretch goals unlocked. I can't wait to play that one.

I agree. From my seat, seeing several top dollar Kickstarters ending within a few days of each other speaks to the level of interest RPGs are obtaining. It's a great time to be a gamer. :)

[FONT=&quot]An EN World user asked me to share this Kickstarter:
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Petals and Thorns II: Heroes of Ramshorn by Chamomile Has A Project
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]END DATE: Fri, May 10 2019 6:00 PM EDT.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of Petals and Thorns II: Heroes of Ramshorn
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]NOTE: Recommended by EN World user, ninjayeti
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“A 5e adventure about power and what you'll do to keep it.”
[/FONT]

Toriel

Explorer
I backed the first Kickstarter for the Battle Mat Books and found them excellent. They look very good, you can write on them with erasable or dry erase markers and can mix and match them.

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Petals and Thorns II: Heroes of Ramshorn by Chamomile Has A Project
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]END DATE: Fri, May 10 2019 6:00 PM EDT.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]SYSTEM(S): Dungeons & Dragons 5e
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]PROJECT TYPE: Adventure module
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]MOST POPULAR PLEDGE: $15 for the PDF of Petals and Thorns II: Heroes of Ramshorn
[/FONT]

My group is running the first part of the Petals & Thorns campaign now, and it is easily the best executed "sandbox" style adventure I have played. Good adventures give PCs choices, but this one goes the extra step in making sure that those choices actually have consequences that impact the game world. Add to that morality in shades of grey rather than thetraditional D&D alignment system, and it has made for an awesomegame.

Both parts of thecampaign are available through the Kickstarter for $25. I am reallyhoping this one funds, so please take a look.

My group is running the first part of the Petals & Thorns campaign now, and it is easily the best executed "sandbox" style adventure I have played. Good adventures give PCs choices, but this one goes the extra step in making sure that those choices actually have consequences that impact the game world. Add to that morality in shades of grey rather than thetraditional D&D alignment system, and it has made for an awesomegame.

Sounds amazing. I wish I liked D&D sometimes. Thanks for the report.

I agree. From my seat, seeing several top dollar Kickstarters ending within a few days of each other speaks to the level of interest RPGs are obtaining. It's a great time to be a gamer. :)

Agreed Egg. When I can take Free League's Coriolis, a Kickstarter, and use it's wonderful background and rich setting but use the awesome Savage Worlds Adventurer's Edition rules, another Kickstarter, that's an excellent thing. The fact that all of these are funding, and funding big, is so incredible. It is a golden age, buddy.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases