Paizo To Make Kingmaker Bestiary... For D&D 5E!

Kingmaker's 10th anniversary is approaching. Paizo has announced on their blog that, along with a Pathfinder 2E hardcover Kingmaker compilation, they will be creating a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for D&D 5E.

20190502-Kingmaker_500.jpg

The blog announcement says "[FONT=&amp]Finally, we'll add a hardcover Kingmaker Bestiary for 5E, developed in conjunction with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing, allowing players of the current edition of the world's oldest RPG the chance to experience the rich and detailed storylines that have made the Kingmaker Adventure Path a fan favorite for a decade."[/FONT]

It is being produced "with industry leaders in third-party 5E publishing" and refers to "add-ons and unlocks" which "will be revealed as the campaign progresses". They're partnering with crowdfunding site Game On Tabletop.

They'll be revealing the details on Tuesday May 7th at noon Pacific time over at KingmakerCampaign.com.

Also in line is a Companion Guide for the PF2 Kingmaker campaign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Lord of the Rings movies are ancient by comparison. Return of the King was released in 2003, 16 years ago. Whatever effect they were going to have on D&D's popularity should have hit with 3e.

So, it came out when today's high school and college students were little kids, taking in pop culture. And it just grew from there.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Huh! I’d have bet a lot in it being Kobold Press.

I've got a feeling that Wolfgang and team are VERY busy with their own material. :) I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth their while to do a conversion bestiary (profits likely split with Paizo) rather than just producing Tome of Beasts 3.

Cheers!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Lord of the Rings movies are ancient by comparison. Return of the King was released in 2003, 16 years ago. Whatever effect they were going to have on D&D's popularity should have hit with 3e.

I think he has a point in that they were early examples of the mainstreaming of geek culture. It grew from then, but that's when geek culture started to feel like it was mainstream. The effects, of course, knocked on over years.

Mercador

Adventurer
I think he has a point in that they were early examples of the mainstreaming of geek culture. It grew from then, but that's when geek culture started to feel like it was mainstream. The effects, of course, knocked on over years.

Yep, before LOTR, it's was pretty dry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fantasy_films_of_the_1990s

Though, I still think it's because of the Internet that "geek" is now cool. We don't use "nerds" anymore but it's pretty much the same.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Exactly. Those kids who grew up in a world where fantasy movies were blockbuster, Oscar-winning movies grew up to be today's millennial streaming their games on Youtube and Twitch.

I don't think you can point to one watershed moment. There has been a cultural shift. My generation of geeks from the 80s are now running companies, hosting TV shows, and fueling 80s-nostalgia shows like Stranger Things. The generation after us took our hobbies main stream and into their adulthood.

My kids are growing up never having known a world where comic super heroes, computer games, fantasy, scifi, and cos play were not mainstream.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Exactly. Those kids who grew up in a world where fantasy movies were blockbuster, Oscar-winning movies grew up to be today's millennial streaming their games on Youtube and Twitch.

I don't think you can point to one watershed moment. There has been a cultural shift. My generation of geeks from the 80s are now running companies, hosting TV shows, and fueling 80s-nostalgia shows like Stranger Things. The generation after us took our hobbies main stream and into their adulthood.

My kids are growing up never having known a world where comic super heroes, computer games, fantasy, scifi, and cos play were not mainstream.

Yep my daughter grew up quite the nerd, Star Trek characters at halloween, devouring Harry Potter. Briefly turned away during high school (as you do), but now thoroughly happy to indulge her interests once more. Only wish 5e had been around a few years earlier so we could have adventured together.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Yep my daughter grew up quite the nerd, Star Trek characters at halloween, devouring Harry Potter. Briefly turned away during high school (as you do), but now thoroughly happy to indulge her interests once more. Only wish 5e had been around a few years earlier so we could have adventured together.

You still can.

I was a maybe until I discovered that I couldn’t get the bestiary by itself. That, combined with the AP being for PF, rather than 5E and a 2020 release date made it a no for me.

That’s sort of my point, but I disagree with your conclusion.

The ten year old who saw Return of the King in 2003 is 26 now and is right in the age group that seems to be picking up 5e.

And lots of children/teenagers wouldn’t have seen it then, they’d have seen it on DVD or TV later. So the 20-35 age group would have been at that age and I think it would have influenced them.

I think a stranger things is too recent. It’s D&D is helpful to 5e but it’s really just a homage to ET.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases