Traveller 5th Edition Reprint Is Kickstarting

There have been many versions of Traveller over the last four decades. Traveller5 is the current version from original creator Marc Miller, and this reprint includes errata and other upgrades, as well as a new format consisting of three hardcover books. It's already funded, with a month to go.

Screenshot 2019-05-04 at 10.09.08.png

Traveller launched in 1977, and is the quintessential, original space RPG. Over the years, versions have included Traveller, MegaTraveller, a GURPS version, a d20 version, a (currently still supported) version from Mongoose Publishing, and several more. In fact, a review of Traveller, back in 1980 in Ares Magazine, said "This game starts off where Dungeons & Dragons left off, but, if there is any justice, will end up being more popular than that venerable relic. For one thing, the Traveller rules are fairly consistent (moreso than is usual for such games). For another, unlike the first generation of role-playing games, this one requires no referee or gamesmaster. Somewhat complex. Variable playing time." A little harsh on D&D at the time, and somewhat inccurate - Traveller does, indeed, have a GM - but Traveller has had some very popular booms.

This reprint of the 5th Edition of Traveller includes three hardcover books: Characters and Combat, Starships, and Worlds and Adventures. Each is in the region of 300 pages, and they come in a slip case. Yours for $100! Or $30 as PDFs.

There's also a set of five adventures, a bunch of ship, world, weapon, etc. cards, deck plans, and more.

You can find it here on Kickstarter.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I'm not that excited by the concept in the Galaxiad, but my heavily modified Third Imperium (with no Rebellion) is still good and the various eras / setting available provide solid backdrops so it's all good :)

I'd buy the Galaxiad to read it, Marc is full of good ideas. My current setting is Classic Traveller, as it's more adaptable to hard sf: fusion rockets and realistic star maps, etc.. I ran a T5 adventure back in 2012, and ran a mongoose game for seven years; I have slowed down on buying RPG material unless I see a use for it. That said, as one of the old play testers, I should get an updated version of the pdf? So I have heard, though I wouldn't blink twice about buying this hard copy if I were going to be playing T5.

Traveller is a funny animal, such as on the Traveller discord, which serves both Mongoose and T5 mostly, I saw both of those groups demanding more rules and crunch, which just isn't me anymore. The days like when I made war games with 4,000 unit equipment files are over, and I even look back on that and think of how crazy I was, even if people are still playing them and having fun.

I'd buy the Galaxiad to read it, Marc is full of good ideas. My current setting is Classic Traveller, as it's more adaptable to hard sf: fusion rockets and realistic star maps, etc.. I ran a T5 adventure back in 2012, and ran a mongoose game for seven years; I have slowed down on buying RPG material unless I see a use for it. That said, as one of the old play testers, I should get an updated version of the pdf? So I have heard, though I wouldn't blink twice about buying this hard copy if I were going to be playing T5.

Traveller is a funny animal, such as on the Traveller discord, which serves both Mongoose and T5 mostly, I saw both of those groups demanding more rules and crunch, which just isn't me anymore. The days like when I made war games with 4,000 unit equipment files are over, and I even look back on that and think of how crazy I was, even if people are still playing them and having fun.

My problem is settling on an edition. There are things I like about each (well, except TNE). Classic Traveller is simpler and with the DGP task resolution system easy to use. I love the detail in MT, but don't have the time to mess around and "build" starships with that level of detail. It was a hobby :) T4 was fairly comprehensive even if it did suffer from some issues and was spread out in a pile of books. T5 is just... sprawling, in just one book or three :) I like the options in it. But yeah, time is limited and CT does do quite nicely... Choices.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
My problem is settling on an edition. There are things I like about each (well, except TNE). Classic Traveller is simpler and with the DGP task resolution system easy to use. I love the detail in MT, but don't have the time to mess around and "build" starships with that level of detail. It was a hobby :) T4 was fairly comprehensive even if it did suffer from some issues and was spread out in a pile of books. T5 is just... sprawling, in just one book or three :) I like the options in it. But yeah, time is limited and CT does do quite nicely... Choices.

I was a vocal critic of the last book in the play test, I felt it should have been at least three 300 page books, and now ... here we are. C'est. :cool:

CT is easy because one can grab the free rules, use a character generator online, along with the Travellermap, the wiki, and a free trader deck plan from an image search, and in less than an hour, one can be running a game.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/80190/CTSTStarter-Traveller

http://www.batintheattic.com/traveller/

https://travellermap.com/

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Main_Page

techno

Explorer
I was part of the original T5 Kickstarter and felt really burned by the final product. It was an overly complex, nearly unplayable mess. Not going to waste another $100 on a revision, that's for sure.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases