Check Out This 43-Page Preview of the Unity RPG

Unity is a grim fantasy world mixed with elements of arcane technology from Zensara Studios. Modiphius has posted a free 43-page preview of the game. "The game takes place in a realm torn apart by the very same God that created it. His children, the four races of Unity, were punished for their hubris and left for dead. Now they struggle to come together and unite against the grim horrors of a world on fire."

1.png

The core rulebook is already available. You can find the 43-page preview here, which includes "an introduction to basic rules, write-ups on the playable races, combat and combo examples, full Tier 1 power list for the Dreadnought class, examples of enemies you’ll encounter and more."

There's new stuff coming soon, too, including Unity United (four new playable races), The Poison Within ( a PDF adventure), and the new Monk Class.

2.png

I'm a big Modiphius fan and I've been watching this game to see if I want to jump on board. Thanks for the information, Russ. I'm going to download the preview straight away and take a look at it. (I'll still probably play it with the Savage Worlds rules.)

I know, why do I need another class based fantasy game, this one has a lot of interesting bits. Mechanically it has it's roots in D&D4E, but adds in more RP elements during character creation. And makes the game far less fiddly on the game masters side of life, the GM doesn't even roll dice. It keeps fiddly combat for the players, in the form of resource management, and combat options that chain off each other. Also you roll 2d10 instead of a d20, which makes the math a bit more consistent. As you should roll around 11 more often than not. In short it should be much easier to run on the internet, as you don't need a grid, just a dice rolling program.

The fluff has a Blizzard vibe to it in both the art direction and classes. If you strip the setting out, the Classes could be used in a Diablo style game very easily. The classes are Dreadnought (tanky fighter), Driftwalker (Warlock but with more body horror), Fell Hunter (think Diablo Demon Hunter), Judge (Paladin or Diablo Crusader), Mystic (Wizard or Diablo Sorcerer), Phantom (Rogue), Priest (Cleric), Primalist (Druid, but with more of a DC Comic Vixen vibe), and Sentinel (melee fighter). The setting has a more World of Warcraft feel, although this world is clearly in it's post apocalypse.

It's worth checking out, there are a lot of good ideas in the book.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I keep trying to find the game online, but I only find links to the Unity programming language for program and video game design. (said with a touch of sarcasm)

This is one game I'm glad I backed on Kickstarter. It definitely needs a few more products to really flesh it out. It wins in the gorgeous art department. I don't think I've ever seen an rpg book be as expanded in size for sheer amount of artwork like this game.

Retreater

Legend
I didn't like the presentation of the rulebook. I know that seems like a silly reason to not like the system, but it just read badly. Like the first 100+ pages were setting fluff that I didn't find compelling. Whoever thought about putting fluff before rules content and character creation?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't like the presentation of the rulebook. I know that seems like a silly reason to not like the system, but it just read badly. Like the first 100+ pages were setting fluff that I didn't find compelling. Whoever thought about putting fluff before rules content and character creation?

Man, it’s tough to please folks. I’ve had bad reviews of my game because I put the setting fluff *after* the rules content.

As my memory serves, and I'm probably wrong, but the 'fluff' before game really started with the White Wolf folks. There was fluff galore before even the first rule was intonation in 1st Edition Vampire. It was one of the things that made it 'unique' at the time, because it was story over everything else.

Of course with Vampire it's fluff first, during and after the rules, but again, that's the game, so to speak.

I also agree that I don't need another techno-magical post-apocalyptic fantasy setting. There seems to be a lot of them floating about in the RPG space now. I'm glad that they did the 'sampler' because I can look to see if there's anything that sets it apart and makes it better.

The one thing I will say, I know it's a 'sampler', so just some of the core rule book, but these things should always, ALWAYS include an introductory adventure. In my opinion, it's a mistake to leave something like that out.

Again, thanks Russ.

aramis erak

Legend

That's actually been pretty well standard throughout the industry; excepting generic or genre-only games, and D&D, most everything else from major publishers starts with some intro-fluff these days.

Some of the genre-only games, such as FFG's End of the World line, include a bit of genre fluff in the front, too... only a handful of pages, but setting fluff in front, even there.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases